Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111296 times)

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #300 on: May 15, 2012, 05:46:27 pm »

Can you use the same character in solo and multi, or do you have to make a different one ?

I'm asking because if you can't use the same character, then the whole "always online" thing makes no sense to me.

If you can, then it's understandable as an anti-cheating measure.

You can use the same char. It's a good idea in theory but when the servers fail as they have within 24 hours of launch it just adds fuel to the fire

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 15, 2012, 05:48:25 pm »

Does anyone remember a major title not having issues like this during at least the first 48 hours? They don't all affect everyone, but I believe that every major game has had these same issues and reactions.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 15, 2012, 05:51:15 pm »

Every single-player game ever made before 2011.

Does anyone remember a major title not having issues like this during at least the first 48 hours? They don't all affect everyone, but I believe that every major game has had these same issues and reactions.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 15, 2012, 05:57:48 pm »

I don't mind always on, what I do mind is lag when I'm playing solo. I think that's insane, I'd rather I send information when I'm in a hub town and when I'm out in the wilderness fighting I don't get lag. I dunno if that would even be possible mind.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 15, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »

Does anyone have a guest pass for the starter edition I could use? I'd like to see how well it runs on my computer before I buy. Thanks!

Is it in the normal boxed copy?  If so I can send you one after I get off work.  (approx 4 hours from now)

Yeah, I think so.

Okay, I sent you a PM with the key.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:11 pm »

Any game that doesn't have asenine always-on DRM shoehorned in for dubious reasons? For example: Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, and 99% of other games ever released. :P

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 15, 2012, 06:25:09 pm »

He did say major title to be fair

sparhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »

Okay, I sent you a PM with the key.
[/quote]

Cool, thanks! :)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 15, 2012, 06:47:59 pm »

He did say major title to be fair

Diablo 2 was a major title, and while I was pretty young at the time I remember Diablo 1 being pretty big, though my memory is notoriously terrible. But regardless my point still stands. Outside the MMO genre, and the very few specific games that have always-on DRM, I think games that refuse to let you actually play for 48 hours are in the minority. Even with Blizzard's own back catalogue (before WoW) I don't think this happened at all.

Call of Duty (any of them), Battlefield bad company 2, Dragon age: origins, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Portal 2, etc. Seriously this is just a case of going through games that have been released and naming them. Infact I'd challenge you to name 5 games (again non-MMOs and non-Always online DRM) that people bought and couldn't play because of server issues. If you're going to make a game with this crappy DRM then you owe it to your customers to actually prepare properly for people wanting to play the game.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 15, 2012, 06:56:10 pm »

it seems people are viewing the past through rose tinted glasses. Google some major games you enjoyed and add the words rocky launch. This phrase has been used a lot since 2008. Every FPS and EVERY MMO have had trouble with people being able to play them for the first few days. The problem is clearly with the game companies treating us like drug addicts who line up for the abuse with our money in hand. Can't blame them. I don't like it, but we just keep going along with it.

Skyrim, Rage, MW3/2/1, every MMORPG, Batman series, Brink, Dead Island, Darkspore, Fallout 3, Fable 3, etc.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:06:32 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 15, 2012, 07:28:59 pm »

Every single-player game ever made before 2011.

This.

We had major titles before 2011. Nowadays it's okay for the big greedy corporations to sacrifice us, their brainwashed money bags, to stop pirates. Wait, did I say stop? I meant it give them a challenge and motivated them since they think cracking difficult crap makes them more infamous or something. People also have an excuse to pirate now.

Games can have bugs that can make things difficult, but this always-online shit is new.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:01 pm »

First, I'm glad that I didn't wake up early to play this. Second, I did wake up at five and had a good two hours. Flawless. Sadly, my afternoon off work (that I took off to have some fun playing this) didn't quite pan out. Luckily, I have a job that I can go back to and the time didn't count against me.

It was solid fun when I played it for the two hours. Fun story (albeit super cliche).
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 15, 2012, 08:06:01 pm »

I haven't even managed to get my copy installed.  Keeps bugging out.

Edit:  Geez, you'd think a big company like blizzard would be able to make a functioning installer in 2012.   >:(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:03:32 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 15, 2012, 08:06:55 pm »

How is it playing out as a game? I had a few hours in the open beta and didn't mind it. But the lack of content and levelling made it more of a sneak-peak then anything to judge the game on, just a system test for both me and blizzard. Have any of our more hardcore diablo 3 players got up to the harder difficulty levels yet? Or completed the main story on normal?

I'm just wondering about it more-so from a gameplaying perspective. Is it fun, are there a few oh-shit moments, are there a few giggles along the way? I sort of expect the story to be cliched and the game to be simple, pointy/clicky/killy fun. It's diablo, it's not meant to be anything more than this. So how far have people gotten, and is it still an entertaining time waster up to that point?
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 98