Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111355 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2011, 03:47:17 am »

It should be a sign that they should get a stable internet connection, especially in times like these.

You don't know what you are talking about. There are instances people can't have internet connection but still they would want to play a game.

For example, I live in a camp on the middle of the West African jungle. This camp is mantained by the company I work for. We have internet here, but as we have 2000 workers here, most of the internet acess, like online games, is blocked.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2011, 03:48:18 am »

It should be a sign that they should get a stable internet connection, especially in times like these.

It isn't Diablo 3's fault that they don't have consistant access to the internet.
Of course its not, I just think its silly that instead of Blizzard having you make two separte character's for singleplayer and mutliplayer, they require a constant internet connection.

I bet they're going to be adding in special buyable items like they did in WoW. 25$ star pony anyone?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:32 am »

It isn't Diablo 3's fault that they don't have consistant access to the internet.

I don't have a stable internet connection. Nobody at my country does. Sometimes internet stops working for 2 days. There is no way for me to get a stable internet connection. I'm thinking about moving out of the country though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2011, 03:53:43 am »

For Diablo 3 I believe they wanted a more intigrated model. The vast majority gametime in Diablo 1 and 2 were multiplayer thus why seperate the modes anymore?

I hope they do add DLC. The problem with some games is once you buy them they are the same no matter how much you play.

With DLC you can add more to your favorite games and get a more enjoyable experience overall.

Blizzard also always makes such excellent DLC too.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2011, 04:06:54 am »

I'm astounded that people have actually been blindsided by what Diablo 3 has turned into. I mean, this is the company that mass-banned every Diablo 2 key that was used on my college campus (Blizzard's advice: "Buy another copy and find an apartment off campus"), sent a rep to the EB Games I worked at to "pep talk" us by threatening to write a letter to regional recommending the staff be fired if we didn't pimp enough copies of Frozen Throne, and would not take responsibility for a disgruntled employee selling customer credit card numbers until my friend hired a lawyer to threaten them. They've been blatantly greedy and conniving for well over 10 years, and have been pushing the envelope at every opportunity to see just how much they can get away with; Diablo 3 is just the natural evolution of what they've been doing all along.

Apologies for the rant, but the inordinate levels of Blizzard apologism I've seen through the years has left me reeling. They're the only for-profit corporation where I've heard people excuse their actions by saying (verbatim), "Just trust them, man. Blizzard wouldn't do anything wrong, they're our friend."

You do realize where this leads, right? First they establish requiring constant connection in singleplayer as the norm, and then they'll start charging for it. After all, someone has to pay for the servers providing this invaluable service, right?

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2011, 05:23:27 am »

I'm pretty sure the "snatch pennies here and there" model of Diablo 3's real-money auction house demands DLC. Because after a certain period the market will be satiated with items of even the highest tier, and the trades will trickle down because everyone will be geared. Guess what'll get those jolly chaps trading again? A DLC of newer, more powerful items.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2011, 05:35:38 am »

I find the whole idea ridiculous. Paying for in-game advantages? Come on. It's bad enough when people do that in browser games, so why would I want to buy a game that plays like one of those, and doesn't let me play offline in the first place, to do that?

I liked the diablo games, with their fence-sitting between arcade and roguelike. Heck, all three blizzard games I have are legit versions. But I find this model they are trying to impose on users obnoxious, and I'm certainly staying well away from it.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2011, 05:40:24 am »

Actually it's pretty clever. They can just add more items free of charge and still reap revenue while dodging the wrath that shitty overpriced DLC incurs in people.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2011, 07:23:54 am »

I removed some sniping back and forth.  Please leave individual forum people out of the discussion.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2011, 07:32:31 am »

Everyone should have access to the internet at all times in this modern age, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hellooo, first world bias! Not even that, man, I'm on a landline and everything in bloody USA and my connection's not 100% stable. Sure, th'US has one of the crappier 'net infrastructures in the first world, but there's a lot more of the world that, yanno', isn't at even that level of development.

Maybe they think the rest of the world innit going to pay for it anyway, so might as well just target the folks in more developed areas? Th'whole online-single-player thing is just a bad idea all around. Vote with the money, yeah~ Wasn't planning on playing D3 anyway, but with that, there's not even a chance of me being persuaded :-\

Shame they're probably going to get away with it, though. Eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2011, 08:04:02 am »

Even if you do have a stable internet connection, connecting online can be problematic. Depending on how much activity with the blizzard servers the game performs, bandwidth might be a very big factor.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2011, 08:46:02 am »

Not to mention that some of us might not be terribly excited about a business company monitoring what we're doing with our computers, whether we're playing or not. Yes, it's largely irrelevant information, but it's still my privacy and none of their sodding business!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2011, 12:27:43 pm »

Wait until pirates bring down the servers like they did with Assassin's Creed.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2011, 12:57:14 pm »

The only controversy that I have a problem with is the "always being connected" one.  If this was an ubisoft game I probably simply wouldn't buy it because of all the horror stories I've heard.  Blizzard always struck me as a fairly decent company(even if I've never really been interested in most of their games) so I might forgive them this and get it anyway. 

The real money auction house seems like a great idea for them to make money without it hurting my gaming experience at all.  Frankly I wish more games would go this route.

No mods doesn't really bother me either as I don't generally play mods. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2011, 12:59:59 pm »

Here's another downside of a stable internet connection, want to play Diablo 3 the day it comes out? Well to bad the servers are overflowing with people and you won't be able to get on.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98