Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 110966 times)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #645 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:29 am »

The only thing Diablo 3 really did for me was get me back into Diablo 2  :-\

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 30, 2012, 06:28:50 am »

No you don't. Remember when you were playing a summonnecro and everyone used to blame you for lag. Now you'd be the one to blame, ALL THE TIME. Even when playing single player, you would have to blame yourself for your own lag.

"Servers are down again."

"F'ing necro bastards......"

I played a summon necro when I ran my friends through D2 a few months ago, didn't have any lag problems?

I think he was talking about the olden days, when you actually had to wait for a webpage to be loaded.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 30, 2012, 08:57:52 am »

Valid, don't worry. You haven't even properly sampled the game as of yet. Obviously it is different from D2 or there would be no need. They took it in a different direction now and in some ways it's great and some ways it infuriating. Outside of the always on(always down) requirement the game is a lot of fun. Even the most obnoxious critics of the game are spending a ton of time playing still, 2 weeks later.

YMMV. After 2 normal characters and a few hours of nightmare on both, I'm pretty burnt out. Unlike D2, it was a race to finish D3 even if you weren't racing. And I'm not sure I like the game enough at this point to put in the 20+ more hours for 2 more difficulties. I would have stopped already were it not for the gaggle of friends all wondering if nightmare is better than normal. It is, but not seismically so. If there were more variation in non-dungeon levels I think I'd notice it less. But when you've played the same level 5 times now and the only things that change are the set pieces...yeah. Can get a little monotonous.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #648 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:26 am »

without starting any wars or anything, i wonder who has played both D3 and Path of Exile.

If anyone has, can I get a comparison? Especially from those that feel D3 is lacking what they had hoped it would be?

This is an honest request, I am enjoying Path of Exile quite a bit and realize I might want to pick up D3 too since I enjoy this sort of mindless click-hack type of game.

I got nothing

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 30, 2012, 09:34:48 am »

Even the most obnoxious critics of the game are spending a ton of time playing still, 2 weeks later.
Two weeks is nothing... talk to me if they are still playing in two years.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 30, 2012, 09:51:49 am »

If anyone has, can I get a comparison? Especially from those that feel D3 is lacking what they had hoped it would be?

Path of Exile wins in terms of customization and character choice, to me. D3 doesn't even begin to let you have control like that. Path of Exile will have you thinkin' about what you want to do every level or so. Diablo 3, you'll take 20 minutes a few hours into the game to consider how to put together abilities, runes and passives, but very infrequently. By Level 25, you've read all your abilities, all your runes and all your passives and know what they're going to do, so you don't even need to take a break when you level up, unless you're plannimg on using those new unlocks or have gear you've been waiting to equip.

D3 wins in atmosphere, no surprise there. Path of Exile has its own look and feel and it's not bad, it feels very D2 old school.

Path of Exile can seem bland compared to D3, because it's doing what D2 did pretty much to a T. On the other hand, when you've played the same set piece 4 times with 2 character in D2 (and a set piece generally has a minute or less worth of stuff going on in it), it can seem bland as well.

PoE barely has a story but it's incomplete and very vague, compared to D3. That's only a minus if you think D3's story was good and cutscenes actually matter. Otherwise I liked that PoE wasn't beating me over the head with its story.

I've put far more hours into D3 than PoE now, so I can't claim I know them both very well. But bottom line, one is totally free and requires always-on for legitimate reasons....and one is $60 and requires always-on for several BS reasons. The only reason I stopped playing PoE was because D3 came out.

I also prefer PoE's item model. I'd rather use orbs of transmute to re-forge/improve items than the slog D3 has set up. Where you have to collect gear, to disenchant gear, to make gear which you may not want in the first place. And then you add Blacksmith pages on top of that to level up your crafters.....and it feels way too much like a WoW grind. What Blizzard is doing is fairly obvious and gear is both the carrot and the stick to them. PoE isn't gaming their customers quite that hard.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:16:53 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 30, 2012, 10:10:59 am »

Wait so you aren't even up to the difficult bits Nenjin? 'A few hours of Nightmare' must be maybe a bit into Act 2?!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 30, 2012, 10:18:05 am »

Because it takes a rocket scientist to know that more elite mob properties, higher damage and more life = the same game I've been playing for the last 30 hours? If D3 mixed up what bosses do there might be some merit to that argument. But it doesn't. The only true difference is the item properties, and those are being given so sparingly over the difficulties that it barely qualifies as a reason to keep playing. I'm not about to sink 60 hours into a game just so I can have a piece of armor with "Attacker takes damage" in a high enough amount it matters.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:29:17 am by nenjin »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 30, 2012, 10:24:23 am »

I've put far more hours into D3 than PoE now, so I can't claim I know them both very well. But bottom line, one is totally free and requires always-on for legitimate reasons....and one is $60 and requires always-on for several BS reasons. The only reason I stopped playing PoE was because D3 came out.
Isn't the Beta still locked to Act 2?

I also prefer PoE's item model. I'd rather use orbs of transmute to re-forge/improve items than the slog D3 has set up. Where you have to collect gear, to disenchant gear, to make gear which you may not want in the first place. And then you add Blacksmith pages on top of that to level up your crafters.....and it feels way too much like a WoW grind. What Blizzard is doing is fairly obvious and gear is both the carrot and the stick to them. PoE isn't gaming their customers quite that hard.
/agree.  I also love the choices in the passive tree.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 30, 2012, 10:26:35 am »

Told you guys the game would suck.....but as always hype took y'all.
I can't even talk about D3's plot.Its pulled out of its ass.
Also plotholes ...there are many.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 30, 2012, 10:28:30 am »

Isn't the Beta still locked to Act 2?

Last I heard.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 30, 2012, 10:31:20 am »

and it feels way too much like a WoW grind. What Blizzard is doing is fairly obvious and gear is both the carrot and the stick to them.
Yes. It is very WoW.
You farm items so that you can farm items faster, because what else is there to do? Beat the bosses that you already beat to farm the items? To more effectively kill stuff for XP but you're already max level.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 30, 2012, 10:32:37 am »

Beat the bosses that you already beat to farm the items? To more effectively kill stuff for XP but you're already max level.

Which is what people did in D2. Except it took them far longer to get there and was far more challenging to do so. Without your levels and build, there's only the gear left to motivate you. And it's boring as shit because of how the skill/stat system works, and because Blizzard is trying to use gear to drive people into the AH.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 30, 2012, 10:36:17 am »

Beat the bosses that you already beat to farm the items? To more effectively kill stuff for XP but you're already max level.

Which is what people did in D2. Except it took them far longer to get there and was far more challenging to do so. Without your levels and build, there's only the gear left to motivate you. And it's boring as shit because of how the skill/stat system works, and because Blizzard is trying to use gear to drive people into the AH.
Yep.  It's far easier to grind gold and find what you need on the AH.  When the RMAH opens, those items are going there instead.  It was the plan all along.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 30, 2012, 10:50:12 am »

I just don't understand people moaning about the AH, don't like it, don't use it. Simple surely?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98