Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 110832 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #1410 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01:56 am »

As for rising, Tyrael says all the undead are rising because he lost his justice juice.. or.. something. I just assumed that was it, Leoric wants a big ole' helping of justice for being used as a puppet, but is so insane at this point that it's kinda hopeless.
The undead rise around Tyrael because he is the Angel of Justice. Those who were slain in an unjust fashion, such as innocents put to death over crimes they did not commit, murder victims, even likely victims of the monsters in the diablo 1/2 plots, all used the energy of Tyrael's fall to get a second chance at justice. Unfortunately most of them are maddened husks of their former selves because, you know, they were tortured and murdered.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 26, 2012, 10:10:53 am »

Oh, and to get on the subject of increased drops.  Man oh man do you find Resplendant Chests now.  I love it.  I think I found 4 or 5 last night over the course of two bosses, 7 Dungeon Floors and one Overland area.  Yeah, I can tell the upped the rate, and it is awesome.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 26, 2012, 10:52:31 am »

...because normally necromancy would be considered on the darker side of magic.
Offtopic?: Resurrection is considered "white" magic where "partial resurrection" is considered black.  So in order to resurrect someone you have to somehow pass through the "black" magic and reach "white" status.  It's something I always found interesting.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 26, 2012, 11:03:46 am »

...because normally necromancy would be considered on the darker side of magic.
Offtopic?: Resurrection is considered "white" magic where "partial resurrection" is considered black.  So in order to resurrect someone you have to somehow pass through the "black" magic and reach "white" status.  It's something I always found interesting.

I think there are different fictional definitions of white and black magic. Some games define black magic as "doing harm", "destruction", and white to "helping" or generally "harmless" magic (so, reanimating corpses doesn't necessarily mean black, unless they're destructive by nature... but any kind of "magic missile" is classified as "black", but not "bad" - except for the target). For others, black magic simply means evil, which is harder to classify. Sometimes the kind of ritual itself is classified as black magic.

Then of course it depends on how you define "undead". Some settings pretty much define an undead being as being on the other extreme of "death" than life. Basically, they're deader than dead, so while white necromancy gives life (resurrection), creating undead gives "super-extra-death". There may even be a distinction between simple reanimation and undeadness (for example, an animated skeleton is either some sort of construct, or some sort of death-powered abomination).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:08:46 am by Sergius »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 26, 2012, 07:36:22 pm »

Oh, and to get on the subject of increased drops.  Man oh man do you find Resplendant Chests now.  I love it.  I think I found 4 or 5 last night over the course of two bosses, 7 Dungeon Floors and one Overland area.  Yeah, I can tell the upped the rate, and it is awesome.

You noticed too? The PTR notes say next patch resplendents add to valor stacks, too. It'll be good to do A1 and have it be meaningful and productive again.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 26, 2012, 08:23:01 pm »

Pretty much quit playing d3 in favor of torchlight 2. Besides lack of grim dark atmosphere, it plays truer to d2 than d3 does. This is coming from someone who spent thousands of hours on d2 and got every character to 60 in d3 and soloed inferno and made $100 off the rmah. D3 plays too much like eve for my taste, like a stock market simulator than a game.

Edit: I'm also strongly considering selling off all my gear, because I could probably get a few hundred for it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:26:30 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 26, 2012, 10:47:28 pm »

** general aRPG rambling **

I played the original FATE back in the day (And enough of that has held over to Torchlight that I consider them, if not in the same series, spiritual successors), and I enjoyed their unique take on a casual ARPG/diablolike.

I thought Torchlight was the skeleton of a good game, but it lacked enough motivation to make it great, and was bogged down by some pretty terrible design decisions (including some holdovers from FATE). Bows and guns have less than 1-screen range? Pay an enchanter to completely destroy your best gear? Fishing that manages to be even more boring than IRL? Axe skill on bows? Melee set bonuses on gear that spawns entirely with caster mods? Coupled with about 1/3 of the talents of every class being identical (the adventuring ones), and half the rest being obvious cloned skills (melee guy ground stomps, shooting a ricochet shockwave. Shooter girl shoots, firing a ricochet shockwave...), I just couldn't stick with it. I've been lurking the TL2 thread and seeing some of the same issues come up, so I won't be buying it until I see where the mod community actually goes.

However.... I think when it comes to more traditional D2-style play, Titan Quest got it right and managed to refine the character building system into something truly great. Talent trees are the basis of class so you aren't as restricted as D3, and stat points are actually flexible and meaningful. Some classes are equally valid as melee or caster, etc. The same crew is working on Grim Dawn I believe. If you like the classic D2 gameplay, that one is definitely worth a look.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 27, 2012, 09:06:46 am »

I'm anticipating Grim Dawn (because TitanQuest was great) but if you are looking for another D2-like game, Path of Exile is pretty good at filling in for the time being if you can get in.  Some people have some grumblings about how it plays and I can see how they think the passive tree is pretty shallow for customization... but it was scratching my itch for a while.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 27, 2012, 09:30:29 am »

I am the only one who still plays D2, I guess.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 27, 2012, 09:37:25 am »

I just can't do it.  The low resolution... (and yes, I know there's a high res patch, but my stubborn ass...)  Add that to the fact that I played the living daylights out of D2 in it's day and I feel like going back to it would be bad for my overall memory/enjoyment of it.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 27, 2012, 09:47:25 am »

Well, I started playing again while teaching the game to a friend. He wanted to learn it and while teaching the game, I got hooked like the good ol' days again. I have never tried the expansion characters so I'm trying a druid now. It was boring for the first few level but I managed to become 29 level. I'm mana stealing like a vacuum and I rarely use mana potions. I found a staff that gives %100 mana steal. I got like 13 replenish life and nice life steal from the equipment too.

Now to think of it, it's been some time since last time I played it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 27, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »

Playing Diablo 2 on my hybrid tablet-notebook with a pen is a blast.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 27, 2012, 03:24:14 pm »

The original Diablo is still my favorite. Really pulls off the horror motif that the others try and utterly fail to accomplish.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: September 29, 2012, 07:39:23 pm »

After reading a lot of flak people have against this game,
I decided to try it myself, beacsue.. why not?

And honestly? I think it's kind of fun.
Ok, I could oly play up to level 10, but still.
It managed to keep me entertained.
Sure it's different from Diablo 1 and 2, but I felt it deserved at least some praise.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: September 29, 2012, 07:56:07 pm »

The original Diablo is still my favorite. Really pulls off the horror motif that the others try and utterly fail to accomplish.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah. D1 had that special feeling while d2 had improved gameplay
D3... Is just "another diablo clone" so to say. Its not bad though it got some annoying flaws, It just fails to deliver
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98