Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 110861 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #1305 on: September 05, 2012, 03:42:32 pm »

The story is junk, and I don't see any personal value in doing the end-game grind.

And to me, this why I don't count the game as a success. D2 didn't have an amazing story...but it also didn't have a story that made me facepalm every time a major character opened their mouth. And for a company like Blizzard to make their end game as enticing as D3's is....is a major failing.

I really can't say I had more or even the exact amount of fun I expected to have in my first playthroughs. Because things like the difficulty, the story and the obvious manipulation of itemization were constantly hanging over my head.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: September 05, 2012, 06:08:24 pm »

What is funny is I was actually mad at the second for the libertise it took with its story and the nonsense it tried to pull...

but OHHH boy... The third tries to ruin the diablo story so hard that it was like it was a contest. With plotholes so large they could hold both Diablo 1 and 2.

This isn't even excusing that the atmosphere of Diablo 3 is just... wrong and fails to successfully emulate what it attempts to. It tries to revive the feelings of the first game but is way to overt and clumsy to pull it off. It tries to be the second but just can't capture the essence of the warring battles effectively either.

But here is the thing... even if Diablo 3 was a stand alone game it would probably be even worse in the story and atmosphere.

But I already said many times how absolutely dreadful the story is but what about the gameplay?

You know how people keep saying Diablo 3 is a MMO? Well they arn't actually being harsh at all... it is a rather fair assessment

Given that Diablo 3 actually strives to be a MMO in everyway. Both the two final difficulties include severe equipment grinding to gain competence, there are large swaths of grinding, and many of the strategies to deal with enemies are MMO staples that would be considered dreadful in any other game.

It really is as close as you can get to a MMO without actually being a MMO (Ignoring that many people have already labled Diablo 2 a MMO... which I still consider false)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 05, 2012, 09:43:42 pm »

I think people are perhaps being a little harsh on the story. Its sort of like buying a Generic Hollywood Action Movie, and expecting a deep and interesting story, the game was not intended to have a deep story at all, only an excuse plot.

Although I do agree that it is basically an MMO (In regards to MMO as a genre of games, not the literal meaning of "Massive Muliiplayer", since alot of genre names are hardly taken literally (Horror Games are zombie-massacere games, RPG's Equal Combat etc)). It only really seems to differ in regards to player count (smaller) and combat (somewhat more interesting). I am not a fan of MMO's.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 05, 2012, 09:50:29 pm »

I think people are perhaps being a little harsh on the story. Its sort of like buying a Generic Hollywood Action Movie

Ohhhh?

AHEM!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You are being a bit to leniant on the story. It is like buying a Generic Hollywood Action movie and expection a shallow and dumb excuse plot and somehow getting something even worse.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 05, 2012, 09:54:37 pm »

Blizzard does not make good stories. Period. EVER.

Look at the goddamn history of Warcraft. Every game, every expansion, is so riddled with retcons and plot holes that it's pathetic. Warcraft 2 fans complained about the liberties taken in Warcraft 3. Warcraft 3 fans complained about the liberties taken in WoW. Each WoW expansion's fans complain vocally about the new expansion taking liberties. It's like friggin clockwork.

What Blizzard IS good at is theme. They can set a mood well. Just don't expect an enticing narrative from them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 05, 2012, 10:05:53 pm »

Naw Blizzard is very good at making a story

They are just TERRIBLE at making a continuous story.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 05, 2012, 10:08:05 pm »

I did say a "little harsh", implying that criticism is cerainly due, just that the story seems to be the focal point when judging the game, despite the fact its not (at all) the actual focal point of the game. Its more like buying a Generic Hollywood Action movie and expecting mindless action. Generally, most people who bought this was not expecting anything from the story, they just wanted to click stuff to death and pick stuff up.

For my opinion in regards to this game, I consider 2 points. The first is that I am not really concerned with most game plots. Most of them are terrable anyway and there are plenty of books with rich-and-interesting plots to pretty much make most game-plot redundant for me. The second is I cannot tolerate any form of grind, be it level/statistics, or equiptment (level/statistics with 3D models attached). So I was not a fan of the game for the second point.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 05, 2012, 10:13:09 pm »

I actually expected story

Diablo has always had story... The intro implies a story and so did the previews.

If you are saying it was meant to be a mindless storyless game... then it was one heck of a bait and switch... which only describes in more detail how terrible the story is. (and honestly... even for a mindless excuse plot it was terrible.)

Just to say how bad the Diablo 3 story is... It honestly could win the "Worst Videogame Story of 2012". and before you say "Mass Effect 3"... I said worst story not "Worst ending" (and even then, I actually think the ending was better then people think.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:30:06 pm by Neonivek »

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 06, 2012, 08:00:48 am »

http://www.twitch.tv/alkaizerx

Alkaizer about to ding paragon level 100 :D

Edit: Aaaand he's done it! He's just opened his stash and has 3 full pages of unidentified legendaries.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:13:05 am by Briggsy16 »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 06, 2012, 08:35:24 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not a fan of D3, but I have to say I had one of those moments watching the LOTR trilogy and a lot of other critically acclaimed stories.  You know, when the birds come flying in at the end?  Where were these birds when they needed to get in there in the first place?  Of course, it would have eliminated 99% of the rest of the story.  Now, I'll openly admit that I never read the books and they may have explained why.  Maybe because Sauron would see giant eagles flying in, but it still doesn't explain why the eagles couldn't get them partway there...  but yeah.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 06, 2012, 09:02:02 am »

The Eagles themselves explained that they themselves didn't want to go there... likely because they are irrationally affraid (admittingly Sauron did have dragons)

But what is probably worse is that would have been the equivilant of going through all the books... being right there at Mount Doom but it being too high...

Then Gandalf comes in and goes "This is trouble, I'll call those Eagles in from the other side of the world instantly. They can fly us over the mountain"

At which your proper response would be: "Why didn't you just do that? You had this ability the whole time and had no reason not to use it..."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 06, 2012, 09:42:58 am »

What story?  I just skipped all the talking.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 06, 2012, 10:28:36 am »

What story?  I just skipped all the talking.

Too bad you would have been laughing at some points. Especially if you knew the story to the first two games.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 06, 2012, 10:36:46 am »

Meh, its always been about killing Diablo cause he is the bad guy or some such reason.  So yea... I'm not invested nor was I ever invested in the story of the Diablo series.

Though, I do know in the 4th(?) chapter, when those people talk... they turn into loot pinatas or death incarnate when they are done...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 06, 2012, 10:44:33 am »

My first playthrough, Magha didn't even get to finish her sentences before she was struck down. It's kind of embarrassing how often that happened in normal mode.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 98