Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for competitive RTS  (Read 4891 times)

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for competitive RTS
« on: July 18, 2011, 03:53:08 pm »

I'm looking for a competitive RTS that has a 1v1 ranked ladder, and a large, active community. I'm tired of League of Legends and other people ripping you down (though I totally recommend it with friends/a group). I want to see how good I can do, knowing I succeeded or I failed, not I got carried or someone else was stupid.

I used to enjoy BFME2, I'm re-installing CoH which I had a long time ago but didn't like, and am just looking for recommendations. It's fine if this game hasn't been released yet.

Thanks.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for competitive RTS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »

Starcraft 2. That is all.
Blargh.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 03:56:56 pm »

Men of War Assault Squad might be another option. Lots of micromanagement, but I do think it has so much micro that you need partners. Only went online once and failed so hugely miserably... :)

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:58:18 pm »

I've been thinking about that. Heart of the Swarm is the next one, right? When does that come out? And is it standalone and backwards compatible with the others (to play multiplayer), or an expansion?

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 04:23:17 pm »

I've been thinking about that. Heart of the Swarm is the next one, right? When does that come out? And is it standalone and backwards compatible with the others (to play multiplayer), or an expansion?

It will be mostly a single player expansion with only a few added MP units. If you want to get into it, just buy the original. HOTS is still a year away anyway.

btw, the ladder will reset for season 3 shortly ( on the 26th ), so this is a great time to jump in. The matchmaking is one of the best ever, so no trouble in finding games of your skill.

edit: it will also NOT be a stand-alone http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/heart-of-the-swarm-preview/faq
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:30:05 pm by YouR_DooM »
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 05:59:26 pm »

Starcraft 1 Still holds some credit as a competitive RTS also, but it is much more fierce to get into.
Thank you based dwarf.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 06:18:46 pm »

Starcraft 1 Still holds some credit as a competitive RTS also, but it is much more fierce to get into.

Unless you want to move to korea, I don't think you will find any reasonable lagless games, especially at any skill level lower than professional. Either go SC2 or choose another game imo.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:11:49 pm »

I'm looking for a competitive RTS that has a 1v1 ranked ladder, and a large, active community. I'm tired of League of Legends and other people ripping you down (though I totally recommend it with friends/a group). I want to see how good I can do, knowing I succeeded or I failed, not I got carried or someone else was stupid.

I used to enjoy BFME2, I'm re-installing CoH which I had a long time ago but didn't like, and am just looking for recommendations. It's fine if this game hasn't been released yet.

Thanks.

get starcraft:broodwar
log here
???
profit

seriously, if you want COMPETITIVE rts gamming, that is the best place on the planet to find it. Well, next to going to korea. Huge community, ranked ladder, and some times you find profesionals playing (on the high part of the ladder tho xD).

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:19:42 pm »

Seconding SC2. There's definitely room to test yourself 1v1.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 08:30:05 pm »

SC2 is great, and you can find quite a few vids and such for watching competitive matches online. Dunno why people bring up SC1 though, as most SC1 players have transitioned over to SC2. SC2 also has a great matchmaking system, with several brackets and ratings within each bracket.

SC2 commentary vids:
http://www.cynicalbrit.com/?s=shoutcraft
http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft
http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft?feature=chclk
Some of those should give you an idea of how some of the strategies work; specific build orders for early game can be found with a quick google search.

And though some of the battle strategies are a bit out of date (due to being from beta and slightly after launch), Total Biscuit's youtube series "I Suck at Starcraft 2" series should get you started as to the general feel of the games.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:33:32 pm by alway »

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »

Dunno why people bring up SC1 though, as most SC1 players have transitioned over to SC2. SC2 also has a great matchmaking system, with several brackets and ratings within each bracket.

I will have to disagree. Most competitive players are still playing sc1. Sc2 is too much flawed right now to offer a balanced competitive enviroment.
It is not that sc2 is a bad game, but in games like this, a long time is needed for the company to get a nice balance.
Right now there are too many unbalances betwen the races. Only after both expansions are out, and then some time (some years) of polishment, the game will be really suitable for serious proffesional competition (and we will see the big names migrate)
Remember, Sc1 have more than 10 years of polishment, and its still very active (almost unafected by sc2 release in fact), the korean pro scene is a proof of that.
Most of the top professional players are still on sc1 too. Only those with poor performance, or retired veterans, have migrated to sc2.
Also, there is a lot of sc1 games with commentaries, just like sc2.

So, IMO, if he is looking to play in a SERIOUSLY COMPETITIVE enviroment, sc1 is the way to go (and in ICCUP, not Battlenet!)

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 09:08:58 pm »

I'll probably pick up Starcraft 2 sometime over the next few days. I'm not looking for hardcorewtfCOMPETITION environment, as in SC1 (which is a bit dated for me anyway - I like substance and flash), but just a game that you can have fun with and be competitive with at the same time. SC2 will probably be more of a future investment anyway.

But I mean, if anyone has any other ideas, keep 'em coming.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »

Oh, I thought you were going hardcore!. Then yes, sc2 is then the best option :p

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 10:11:32 pm »

Jesus Christ CoH is totally dead and those remaining are dicks.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 10:20:20 pm »

Ditto.

Dunno why people bring up SC1 though, as most SC1 players have transitioned over to SC2. SC2 also has a great matchmaking system, with several brackets and ratings within each bracket.

I will have to disagree. Most competitive players are still playing sc1. Sc2 is too much flawed right now to offer a balanced competitive enviroment.
It is not that sc2 is a bad game, but in games like this, a long time is needed for the company to get a nice balance.
Right now there are too many unbalances betwen the races. Only after both expansions are out, and then some time (some years) of polishment, the game will be really suitable for serious proffesional competition (and we will see the big names migrate)
Remember, Sc1 have more than 10 years of polishment, and its still very active (almost unafected by sc2 release in fact), the korean pro scene is a proof of that.
Most of the top professional players are still on sc1 too. Only those with poor performance, or retired veterans, have migrated to sc2.
Also, there is a lot of sc1 games with commentaries, just like sc2.

So, IMO, if he is looking to play in a SERIOUSLY COMPETITIVE enviroment, sc1 is the way to go (and in ICCUP, not Battlenet!)

Are you on smack? The only place that played SC1 competitively was Korea. SC2 has taken Starcraft global... More people are playing than ever before, more fans, more casters... There are more tournaments than ever before... Dreamhack, the GSL, the IGN cup, The NASL... etc, etc...

To say that Starcraft 2 is unfit for competitive play is just so, so, so wrong... So wrong...

I suppose you still run DOS because you think Windows lacks 'refinement'? Please... The only people still playing Starcraft 1 are people who are either too broke to upgrade their computers or are frankly insane.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:30:15 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: [1] 2