Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40414 times)

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Now with updates!
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2011, 02:06:05 am »

what about instead researching new science to increase sensor outputs?
Engines!

But personally I'm with Bremen. I vote against sending our ships into the asteroid belt if we aren't going to try and interdict the inner planets. But I also think it might be wise to station at least a small surprise at a jump point, so that we will both know when they start surveying jump points, and so we can set them back just a bit while we research it ourselves, should it come to that.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2011, 03:29:14 am »

But personally I'm with Bremen. I vote against sending our ships into the asteroid belt if we aren't going to try and interdict the inner planets.
In a sense that's exactly what we'll be doing, just in a smaller scope (in the asteroid belt). If however we don't deploy a sensor (and I'm still not entirely convinced we shouldn't, though I'm less certain, now that I know about the 100% DSTS power gain :-\), interdiction is effectively impossible (at least until we build a bunch more DSTS-es on Titan  ), rather than merely being inadvisable.

But I also think it might be wise to station at least a small surprise at a jump point, so that we will both know when they start surveying jump points, and so we can set them back just a bit while we research it ourselves, should it come to that.
The problem is that we don't know where that is, and we don't have any way of monitoring the entire inner Lagrange ring.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #212 on: August 11, 2011, 03:33:23 am »

i suppose we could drop automated mines here and there on minerary planets.
without mass drivers.
just, leave the mines there, then, when we have free production on the planet, we start sending mass drivers...REMEMBERING TO KEEP ONE FOR OURSELVES.
playing this game for little, but have (in my game) earth with metals send from everyother place through mass driver...were i to ever forget to keep one on earth...it would be death.
through packages of needed metal, since in my game, earth has run out of everything! XD
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 11, 2011, 03:53:50 am »

what is our actual mineral situation? considering mineral outposts?
State of the Caliphate
<snip>
Spoiler: Titan (click to show/hide)
we're not close to running out of anything and we don't have a mass driver yet. Titania (a moon of Uranus) is our choice for mining operation:
Spoiler: Minerals on Titania (click to show/hide)
If we have a free freighter, we might want to move some automated mines there. But, again, mineral situation won't get any worse for another decade.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #214 on: August 11, 2011, 04:25:31 am »

you know what they say...better safe than sorry  8)

just realized in my game i finished also the sorium.
now i'm droplet-importing it from asteroids. neptune and uranus would be fathomable...if not for me finishing also corbomite, which it seems needed to create the sorium ahrvester, or still, parts of the ship.
well...i do believe i'll just have to wait a couple of decades.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Daltesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 11, 2011, 06:08:10 am »

But I also think it might be wise to station at least a small surprise at a jump point, so that we will both know when they start surveying jump points, and so we can set them back just a bit while we research it ourselves, should it come to that.
The problem is that we don't know where that is, and we don't have any way of monitoring the entire inner Lagrange ring.

Doh. I meant put some armed scouts on a Survey Point.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 11, 2011, 06:09:31 am »

every survey point?  :-\

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 11, 2011, 08:19:35 am »

The survey points are pretty close to Saturn, really. We'll almost certainly spot any attempt to survey with our Titan based sensors, but the same can't be said for Mercury; that's one of the reasons I wanted to survey early and possibly "steal a march" as it were.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 11, 2011, 08:51:32 am »

It's a plan. Our Hebron destroyers should be able to last a couple of years unmaintained, and they should be able to chase down a survey craft.
Or We could use a Hufuf+Mersin team (they might even be able to get there under their own power if it's only those 2 ships, still they'd need to be manually refueled every 2.5 days) and they definitely can chase down a survey craft.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 11, 2011, 11:23:46 am »

It's a plan. Our Hebron destroyers should be able to last a couple of years unmaintained, and they should be able to chase down a survey craft.
Or We could use a Hufuf+Mersin team (they might even be able to get there under their own power if it's only those 2 ships, still they'd need to be manually refueled every 2.5 days) and they definitely can chase down a survey craft.

Ships only use fuel when they're moving.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 11, 2011, 12:27:53 pm »

Yes, sorry, I meant "It will be a micromanagement hell for Sheb to get them there".
Fun fact (not for Bremen, who I'm guessing already knows, but for the rest of us): The FACs are designed in so robust a fashion, that they actually have a longer maintenance cycle then our destroyers.
Between that, being half the cost and 3 times the top speed I think FAC teams are the best for this job. The bad news (again, just a figure of speech) is that we only have 3 Mersins (they carry the sensors) and 6 points to cover.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2011, 05:56:51 pm »

Short update, but I only got to play until the 11th of February.  :P

I also tried to change the way the turn is posted. Do you prefer the old, journal-like entries?

Code: [Select]
From Mohamed Yunnus « War of the Stars »

[b]The Ghostly Threat[/b]

During the High Council of December 1542, a decision was reached to pressure the Kaffirs out of the Asteroid Belt.

A Deep Space Tracking Station was laid on Vesta, while Az-Wun'eh, commanding the CV [i]Ashdod[/i] was bringing a full squadron of gunboats to Ceres. More Hufufs were also laid down in Titan to replace any that might be lost fighting the Kaffir.

By the end of January, the trap was ready, waiting for it's prey. The men did not have to wait for long. On the 10th of February, a Thermal contact was detected a mere 15 million km from Vesta, heading straigh for it at over 2400 km/s. It was nicknamed Ghost by the ships' crew, for it had managed to slip so near our Listening Station.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Code: [Select]
The gunboats were immediately sent after the contact, but Ceres was far away from Vesta ((OOC:Sorry, I choose Ceres while on a zoomed out view and didn't realize it was 120 m km away.)) and by the time the Hufufs got there, the Kaffir ship had disappeared, furthering its ghostly reputation. The ships looked for it for hours but couldn't find it.

Back on Titan, the High Council was having an emergency meeting to decide what to do with the now compromised listening post on Vesta...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2011, 07:19:44 pm »

We should try to shift the listening station to a near-by asteroid and lay a trap around Vesta. Hopefully we could ambush and destroy one of these Ghosts before they can slip away.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2011, 11:03:19 pm »

Wait...
So is it Vera or Vesta?
And which one (Ve(st/r)a or Ceres) houses out tracking station?
We should try to shift the listening station to a near-by asteroid and lay a trap around Vesta. Hopefully we could ambush and destroy one of these Ghosts before they can slip away.
If our station is compromised on Vesta, and we have a Freighter nearby (as we seem to on the map), then we should relocate it to Ceres at once, while the FAC wing will move into trapping position near Vesta. we'll want to be about 1.5Mkm away, as we'll lose sensor support until DSTS is relocated and have to use Mersin's sensors.
(Does anyone know the precise formula for active sensor detection? The wiki only says it's tied to the EM sensor.)
Also, it would be interesting to know how fast this "Ghost" was moving (did we track it long enough to find out?).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2011, 04:38:55 am »

It's Vesta, the DSTS is on Vesta. The Ghost was doing 2439 km/s (I was sure I had written that, I must have forgotten to add that when I re-wrote the update.) The Ashdod is now orbiting Ceres, while the FACs are somewhere near Vesta.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30