Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40407 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Now with updates!
« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2011, 05:00:19 am »

we could give a display of force by stationing a strong militaryclass spaceship near the last seen enemy thermal signature.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2011, 05:33:35 am »

That would be Mercury. :P (That's why I'm pushing for a DSTS base on Ceres.)
Anyway, what details about the strike-force still need to be provided?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2011, 06:34:48 am »

Will you base a strike force on Ceres and shuttle FAC back and forth? Will you base them off the Ashdod? Will you pull them back to Titan?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2011, 07:02:31 am »

We definitely won't base them on Ceres- that will lead them right to our DSTS (this was mentioned in the turn orders). Whether they'll be based on a carrier or on their own, they need to be at least 1Mkm away, preferably 10. And unless it's to engage a target, they should never get any closer.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2011, 08:18:03 am »

I say we rotate them. We have enough to do that and still defend ourselves, right?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2011, 09:06:58 am »

My vote is to just base FACs off carriers.
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2011, 09:17:36 am »

If it saves fuel, do it. Who knows when we get low on fuel.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2011, 09:48:30 am »

So vote are for the CV Ashdod on Vera (Not Ceres, sorry), with a FAC wing on it? I take it you'll want them to operate on stealth mode (no sensors until they're in shooting range of target, etc etc?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2011, 10:06:10 am »

So vote are for the CV Ashdod on Vera (Not Ceres, sorry), with a FAC wing on it? I take it you'll want them to operate on stealth mode (no sensors until they're in shooting range of target, etc etc?
Yes on the stealth mode.
With the loss of the maintenance facilities, there is longer a need to have a static base, so I think after each encounter with the enemy (by the FAC wing only, hopefully), Ashod should be moved in a random (kinda) direction for 1 day, at the speed of 225 km/s  (we're going for TH 63 here, in case they can detect us). As a rule of thumb, we want the Ashod to end up 10-35 Mkm from Ceres after each trip.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2011, 01:25:43 pm »

That would be Mercury. :P (That's why I'm pushing for a DSTS base on Ceres.)
Anyway, what details about the strike-force still need to be provided?

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that each extra DSTS increases sensor strenght by 25%, which is incorrect. If 1 sensor station is 250 strength, 2 stations is 500, 4 is 1000, etc. We're probably better off leaving every sensor station in the system on Titan.

And once again, I vote against stationing ships in the asteroid belt. Defending the outer system is one thing, but going out of our way to provoke a war when we have completely avoided military development is a bad idea.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 10, 2011, 01:36:14 pm »

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that each extra DSTS increases sensor strenght by 25%, which is incorrect. If 1 sensor station is 250 strength, 2 stations is 500, 4 is 1000, etc.

Deep Space Tracking Station (DSTS): DSTS provide EM and Thermal sensor capability for a colony. The first DSTS has a sensor strength equal to the racial Planetary Sensor Strength. Each additional DSTS adds 25% to the colony’s sensor strength.
Not to mention that you can just load up Aurora and look at almost any colony with DSTS-es on it, to see that in fact no, it's not rating x # of stations.

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2011, 01:52:35 pm »

I do believe it adds 25% of sensor strength technology, not 25% of total strength.
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2011, 02:06:39 pm »

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that each extra DSTS increases sensor strenght by 25%, which is incorrect. If 1 sensor station is 250 strength, 2 stations is 500, 4 is 1000, etc.

Deep Space Tracking Station (DSTS): DSTS provide EM and Thermal sensor capability for a colony. The first DSTS has a sensor strength equal to the racial Planetary Sensor Strength. Each additional DSTS adds 25% to the colony’s sensor strength.
Not to mention that you can just load up Aurora and look at almost any colony with DSTS-es on it, to see that in fact no, it's not rating x # of stations.

Which is exactly what I did before I claimed otherwise. Did you?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2011, 02:29:09 pm »

I was until this moment sure that I did see it in the game.  :-[  Has that changed in the 5.4x branch?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2011, 03:59:29 pm »

what about instead researching new science to increase sensor outputs?

ps:
what is our actual mineral situation? considering mineral outposts?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30