Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40366 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Now with updates!
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2011, 04:19:20 pm »

I added a pictures of research projects in the Titan Spoiler.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2011, 05:10:43 pm »

Will put together an orders template later, this is just initial thoughts/ideas for discussion.

Hum. Our variety in scientists are limited, but at least that construction one is very useful. Might as well make the most use of him, and start on construction rate 12/mining rate 12/construction rate 14/mining rate 14 when he finishes research, by my guess we could get the first 3 and most of the fourth in a single year. Might be best to start weapons research after that; it will take awhile to pay off, and besides we'll probably be running a huge budget deficit and reducing the scientist field bonus will help there.

Our remaining scientist should finish jump point theory this turn, at which point I suggest he immediately start work on grav sensors. Our ships are big and we don't have a good power/production scientist, so I recommend we use jump gates instead of drives. Jump gates have an added benefit in that they're much harder to assault through, so if the infidels try to sneak through them later we can ambush them on the far side with gunboats.

For construction, we're good on minerals for now, so I think we want to keep building more factories. Maybe divert a little production for some more deep space tracking stations to keep an eye on what the infidels are doing. Long term expanding the military academy would be nice, but at current production rates it would take a year and a half to build one.

Since we're putting our production and research into economic development right now, we probably want to continue production of our most effective combat craft, the Hufuf, and keep the shipyard busy all year. Eventually we might want another carrier for force projection, but for now we can base all the gunboats we want out of Titan.

No reason to ship mines to Titania yet; there's plenty of minerals still on Titan and that's less that we have to protect. Also means we don't have to divert production for mass drivers.

Once the new Mosul completes we can send it out surveying as well, probably the Oort cloud as well. Since we're trying to outgrow rather than outfight the enemy I think antagonizing them with espionage might be a bad idea.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2011, 06:28:33 pm »

I'd also recommend to not forget to research the increase in the civilian economy. Without it, if we keep expanding we might be hard pressed to supply the cash for everything.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2011, 12:05:40 am »

So far, your wealth stand out at 14,000 something. You started at 10,000. So no money problems yet.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2011, 12:06:45 am »

I should've caught this LP earlier. Oh well, no big deal.

I reccommend that we develop point-defence to defend ourselves againt missiles(there's a good chance those heathens use them) and try to capitalize on the advantages of gunboats and fighters: They're fast, cheap, numerous and have small signatures. Research reduced thermal signatures and only turn on the targeting sensors when in range of the enemy; possibly look into cloaking for our big ships as well? The honorless heathens deserve nothing better than hashashins.

Furthermore, we'll want small bases at each gas giant. They'd only need to contain maintenance facilities and tracking stations, plus possibly some PDCs, with a garrison of gunboats and possibly other craft. This would allow us to stonewall any heathen sorium-harvesting and expansion into the outer system. We could possibly extend this sytem to the asteroid belt as well.

It's been a while since I last played Aurora so I'm a little rusty on the finer points of stuff like signatures, but I think this advice is sound.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2011, 11:51:40 am »

Could there be a screenshot of the "Industry" tab in the updates?
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2011, 12:40:52 pm »

I reccommend that we develop point-defence to defend ourselves againt missiles(there's a good chance those heathens use them) and try to capitalize on the advantages of gunboats and fighters: They're fast, cheap, numerous and have small signatures. Research reduced thermal signatures and only turn on the targeting sensors when in range of the enemy; possibly look into cloaking for our big ships as well? The honorless heathens deserve nothing better than hashashins.

Furthermore, we'll want small bases at each gas giant. They'd only need to contain maintenance facilities and tracking stations, plus possibly some PDCs, with a garrison of gunboats and possibly other craft. This would allow us to stonewall any heathen sorium-harvesting and expansion into the outer system. We could possibly extend this sytem to the asteroid belt as well.

It's been a while since I last played Aurora so I'm a little rusty on the finer points of stuff like signatures, but I think this advice is sound.

Well, A) We don't actually know if our enemies use missiles, and investing large amounts of research and ship tonnage on what might be a useless weapon is probably not a great idea. I kind of doubt it, actually, simply because a missile armed enemy could have massacred us from the start. B) The best point defense is having your own missiles, and C) as you already mentioned, our best advantage right now is our gunboats, which benefit little from PD but are fast and can get to close range without detection.

Eventually we'll want to expand to the other gas giants, yes, but there's no reason to now and almost no risk the infidels will try to steal anything but Jupiter from us (and Jupiter is much farther from Titan than from Mercury right now). We have all we need on Titan for now, trying to expand would just weaken us. Eventually we'll at least want a mining colony and mass driver on Titania, and could use our engineers to build PDCs on them (probably one to maintain gunboats, and possibly more later with missile launchers)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2011, 01:51:28 pm »

Well, A) We don't actually know if our enemies use missiles, and investing large amounts of research and ship tonnage on what might be a useless weapon is probably not a great idea. I kind of doubt it, actually, simply because a missile armed enemy could have massacred us from the start. B) The best point defense is having your own missiles, and C) as you already mentioned, our best advantage right now is our gunboats, which benefit little from PD but are fast and can get to close range without detection.

Eventually we'll want to expand to the other gas giants, yes, but there's no reason to now and almost no risk the infidels will try to steal anything but Jupiter from us (and Jupiter is much farther from Titan than from Mercury right now). We have all we need on Titan for now, trying to expand would just weaken us. Eventually we'll at least want a mining colony and mass driver on Titania, and could use our engineers to build PDCs on them (probably one to maintain gunboats, and possibly more later with missile launchers)

This is Aurora. Missiles are in fact the main weapon of the game and mostly everyone, save rare exceptions, uses them. They are likely to either want to keep the war cold too, and/or their missiles are insufficient to make them feel safe for an all out attack. If we want to stay in the Solar System for any decent amount of time we need to get some PD for our planets, both Meson and anti-missile missile based.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2011, 02:41:40 pm »

This is Aurora. Missiles are in fact the main weapon of the game and mostly everyone, save rare exceptions, uses them. They are likely to either want to keep the war cold too, and/or their missiles are insufficient to make them feel safe for an all out attack. If we want to stay in the Solar System for any decent amount of time we need to get some PD for our planets, both Meson and anti-missile missile based.
Yeah, missiles should always be a part of your strategy, even if it's just countermeasures. Enormous range and high power makes for a deadly weapon.

If they primarily use missiles, they'll assume we do too. If they use something else, like lasers, they might still assume we mainly use missiles. It's simply too dangerous to assume otherwise. Their PD could be one of the biggest threats to our gunboats, too. Simply looking at our own ship designs, our active resolution-1 sensors have forty times longer range than the meson cannons on our gunboats. However, unless they use meson weapons for their PD as well, their PD won't be very damaging. Our Hufufs can no doubt take a hit or two from them, although lasers might be able to penetrate their armor in a single hit. Hmmmm.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

Hell, with sufficient missile tech upgrade, we could build mega-missiles with the range to strike from Titan directly to Mercury. Think super-ICBMs.

So yeah...investments in detection and AMS is worthwhile.

@Bremen: I would disagree on using jump gates. The main reason being that they're static points, while Titan and Mercury are not. We could find a jump point very close to Titan now, and 15 years from now, it would be on the other side of the solar system from us, more accessible to the infidels than to us. We don't want to give them a free jump gate.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:53:48 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2011, 03:53:11 pm »

Hell, with sufficient missile tech upgrade, we could build mega-missiles with the range to strike from Titan directly to Mercury. Think super-ICBMs.

So yeah...investments in detection and AMS is worthwhile.
If we use drones as carriers we would be easier, maybe able to do even now, specially if we go huge. Say, we use a size 30-36 for the drone. With about 5-8 spaces to fuel, it should be able to reach mostly any body in the system, and carry about 15-21 worth of missiles. It could work pretty decently as a deterrent.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2011, 04:04:03 pm »

I agree with most of that, and I definitely think we should develop missile weapons. Not only are they extremely capable, but they're ideal for the hardpoint defense strategy I'm envisioning, with our colonies defended by gunboats and PDCs. Missile PDCs are awesome since you can use the planet as an infinitely large secondary magazine. And yes, I like the idea of developing interplanetary missiles  :D

That doesn't necessarily mean we should drop everything to develop PD though. As I said, beam PD is pretty lacking and the best missile protection is having your own missiles.  Our gunboats are also somewhat less vulnerable to missiles due to their size and speed, as well as their own onboard beam weapons having high tracking speed.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2011, 04:13:13 pm »

Hmm...just re-ran the numbers on doing interplanetary missiles. Gonna take quite a jump in engine power and fuel efficiency to be feasible. Right now, about the largest range I could come up with was about 300 million km, and that was a monster size 150+ missile that was basically a giant fuel tank with a tiny motor and tiny warhead attached. Utterly impractical. To strike from Titan->Mercury, we need a range of around 1 billion km, give or take a couple hundred million depending on degree of apogee.

Might be worth revisiting once fuel efficiency is down to 0.5 and we're using plasma engines and larger-yield warheads.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2011, 04:39:57 pm »

Hmm...just re-ran the numbers on doing interplanetary missiles. Gonna take quite a jump in engine power and fuel efficiency to be feasible. Right now, about the largest range I could come up with was about 300 million km, and that was a monster size 150+ missile that was basically a giant fuel tank with a tiny motor and tiny warhead attached. Utterly impractical. To strike from Titan->Mercury, we need a range of around 1 billion km, give or take a couple hundred million depending on degree of apogee.

Might be worth revisiting once fuel efficiency is down to 0.5 and we're using plasma engines and larger-yield warheads.
Make it a drone with missile submunitions. Drones have a MUCH better fuel efficiency than missiles. If the distances are truly staggering, we could even try a fighter platform with box launchers as a primary launch platform. With a bit of luck it might even get to be reusable.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2011, 05:38:15 pm »

Should we send a message to the heathens? Something along the lines of "We claim Jupiter and all space beyond it in Allah's name." Or would it be better to keep quiet?

Also, gunship w/MIRV drone box launchers = Long ranged, undetectable threat until it's too late and you've got a massive salvo of missiles bearing down on your planet. I propose we work towards this eventually. Let's call them Hashashins because they'll be unseen assassins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30