Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be our stance toward the Infidels?

A) Open Warfare: Shoot them as soon as we can.
- 15 (48.4%)
B) Cold War: Establish borders, and try to out-grow them.
- 16 (51.6%)
C) No War: Let's share the solar system.... For now.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora:Jihad In Space Well, it is dead... But a new one is coming!  (Read 40367 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora: Inter-forums Jihad In Space. Now with updates!
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2011, 10:34:17 am »

What is an Oort Cloud, anyway? I used to know but for some reason I'm drawing a complete blank. Something gravitational I think. *shrug*

What's the point of checking out the Oort Cloud in-game?

Pluto is considered to be at the innermost point of the Kuiper Belt - a "second" asteroid belt of icy and rocky minor bodies, althugh some like Xena or MakeMake are quite hefty. The Oort cloud is a theoretical spherical "cloud" of ice/rocky bodies, and it is theorized that it is the source of comets. It is thought to extend to about 1LY away from the Sun (thats about 1000 times further away than Pluto), and is pretty much the boundary of what can be considered the solar system.

Point of it? Well, im an Aurora noob, but I assume it has the potential for signifigant resources considering its sheer scale in terms of mass...
This is a blank sig.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2011, 10:35:49 am »

I actually agree that the jump tech isn't very useful at this point. We need to focus on defenses and ship production, otherwise we'll be, in a pseudo-historic American setting, try to invade Africa while Russia or Japan invades us from behind. No, that was not an intended pun.

Build your infrastructure, secure your surroundings, and THEN go for exploration/expansion.

If we get solid defenses, they can throw the entire god damned world at us to no avail. Then, we can expand.

Btw, make sure we're not susceptible to planetary bombardment via mineral ores... :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2011, 10:47:16 am »

I actually agree that the jump tech isn't very useful at this point. We need to focus on defenses and ship production, otherwise we'll be, in a pseudo-historic American setting, try to invade Africa while Russia or Japan invades us from behind. No, that was not an intended pun.

Build your infrastructure, secure your surroundings, and THEN go for exploration/expansion.

If we get solid defenses, they can throw the entire god damned world at us to no avail. Then, we can expand.

Btw, make sure we're not susceptible to planetary bombardment via mineral ores... :P

The only way to defend our infrastructure is to get it to the other side of a jump point. Still, I can tell I've been outvoted. I think I'll sit back and let all those people who complained about me not allowing nations to bombard Earth in my LP see just why I did it. Trying to fight over a planet in Aurora is like a knife fight with grenades. We'll either be nuking Mercury or they'll be nuking Titan.

(and no, you can't bombard a colony via mineral ores)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2011, 10:51:31 am »

So mass drivers don't bombard planets without MDs anymore? o_O

I do agree that we get the hell away, but first we need to make sure they're not going to nuke our homeworld ANYWAY, and we have nothing left.

Get the tech, fortify, and haul ass.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2011, 11:02:05 am »

So mass drivers don't bombard planets without MDs anymore? o_O

I do agree that we get the hell away, but first we need to make sure they're not going to nuke our homeworld ANYWAY, and we have nothing left.

Get the tech, fortify, and haul ass.

The game wont let you remove a mass driver with minerals inbound, or send minerals at a planet without the ability to catch them.

This was my plan too, but I think we can spare the 10 research labs for the jump tech. Gets us out sooner, and like I said, it's not like the gunboat tech helps us any. I'm not suggesting we devote everything to exploration. Plus, the tech is already half done; let's beat the other guys there.

And there's always the chance of finding something in another system, like an ideal habitable planet or precursors we can kill and salvage for tech, or even alien ruins.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:06:50 am by Bremen »

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2011, 11:22:09 am »

Orders:
Space Orders:
When the new Mosul finishes it should join its friend in surveying the Oort Cloud. If an infidel ship approaches Saturn it should be first warned off and then destroyed by Hufufs with sensor support.
Industrial Orders:
Assign 63% of industry to Construction Factories, and 37% to 4 Deep Space Tracking Stations. (This should ensure we finish two during the year)
Research Orders:
Continue current projects. Once Research Rate 280 finishes, research construction rate 12, mining rate 12, construction rate 14, then work on Gun-type fission warhead (strength 2), then improved missile drives up to nuclear pulse, If all that finishes, work on Mining Rate 14.
Our other scientist should work on Jump point theory and then gravitational sensors.
Other Orders:
If we finish grav sensors develop a Grav survey version of the Mosul and build one. This will be a military ship, so add engineering spaces as needed.

Although researching jump point theory may not be the most practical approach, the LP will be incredibly boring without extra-solar warfare.
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2011, 11:37:02 am »

Actually, I'm thinking about banning missiles entirely. Missiles are so über that they make warfare boring.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2011, 11:40:46 am »

I have 3 notes on those orders:
1) while we can  do without magazines for a while, missiles are no good to us without launchers and sensors. It can be Al-Azred, but someone has to do it. (in fact since we'll need to build ships/PDCs to use missiles, launchers and sensors should probably come before warheads)
2) Al-Azred is a better scientist with a 25% bonus (Vs. 20% for Suleiman), it is detrimental to our scientific advance to keep him below capacity- just give him more projects (such as all of the weapon techs, like you did there).
and
3) What's the policy on coloring? ??? Should we only color the most recent change or keep the colors from all of the orders? (That can get a bit dazzling)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2011, 11:41:09 am »

Banning missiles? Sounds like a !!CHALLENGE!!

Thats... Actually a really awesome idea. :) Makes for better tactical combat and more strategy, rather than a fire-from-long-range-and-flee tactics.

I wish I could make the NPCs not build missiles in my single player games...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2011, 11:53:38 am »

How does that make for tactical combat? You just come to close range and pound at each other until you get lucky, with better tech giving a statistical advantage. Also whoever is faster can always evade/force combat (which again boils down to scientific superiority- no tactics).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2011, 11:58:56 am »

Banning missiles would be interesting, and change a lot. I'm not opposed to the idea. Since non-meson beams don't work on planets with atmospheres, and mesons can't bombard civilian targets, it would also sort of force ground combat (though space combat could still destroy orbital shipyards)

Assuming that happens, I agree on backing off on jump gate tech. NPCs wouldn't respect the ban, and either an NPR or precursors would murder our military if they didn't have missiles at this tech level.

How does that make for tactical combat? You just come to close range and pound at each other until you get lucky, with better tech giving a statistical advantage. Also whoever is faster can always evade/force combat (which again boils down to scientific superiority- no tactics).

That would be somewhat true for just beam armed ships, but there's still gunboats and fighters. We already have a start on gunboats, so we could focus on them (Guessing the Mercurians have fighters, probably, in which case they are faster but we have the advantage of range and not needing hangars for planetary based defenses).

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:26 pm »

I am opposed to banning missiles, they are an integral part of the combat in Aurora and help keep things interesting.
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2011, 12:12:14 pm »

I am opposed to banning missiles, they are an integral part of the combat in Aurora and help keep things interesting.
We could make the missiles more expensive (Sheb can destroy 1/2 or 3/4 of the missiles produced as though they cost double/4x. I don't remember if this gives minerals back, but it does consume wealth and time irreversibly). Or force 1 launcher per size per 200/500/1000 mass (so you can't spam macros missile massacres).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2011, 12:31:12 pm »

I was also thinking of only allowing "bombs", or range 0 missiles, so you can still nuke the Mercurians. I'm not decided yet however, so please continue discussing the pro and cons, it helps me make up my mind.

Also, In case of missile ban, I'm going to let you spend any RP you invested on missile tech on any tech of your liking, so don't be afraid of researching them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2011, 12:57:24 pm »

I was also thinking of only allowing "bombs", or range 0 missiles, so you can still nuke the Mercurians. I'm not decided yet however, so please continue discussing the pro and cons, it helps me make up my mind.

Also, In case of missile ban, I'm going to let you spend any RP you invested on missile tech on any tech of your liking, so don't be afraid of researching them.

Ah. I actually saw the lack of bombardment as an advantage, but I think these LPs have shown I prefer a more skirmish type war than all or nothing blitzes. Of course, meson armed PDCs could help protect a planet by preventing ships from getting in range to launch their range 0 bombs.

I see two main problems with a lack of missiles:

a) Range is absolute. If outranged in a missile fight, you can maneuver to change the "effective" range (missiles can effectively fire farther at enemies in pursuit, for example), shoot down incoming missiles, or just wait for your opponent to run out of ammo. Against beam weapons none of these work; if the enemy beam weapons outrange you and they are at least as fast as you, you lose; you can never close the range and they'll gradually plink you down. Somewhat mitigated by fighters and gunboats, but not completely.

b) Almost impossible to deal with NPRs/precursors. Only a problem if we're going to eventually expand out of the system, but a strong block on that unless you want to just disable all opposition. Consider that precursors and NPRs can transit into the solar system and attack us. Star Swarm would still be workable, since they don't use missiles (though they'd be somewhat harder to handle without our own).

Of course, there are also the obvious advantages, like making a scenario where both sides wipe each other out much less likely.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30