Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "How do I make..." Worldgen questions thread. :O  (Read 1679 times)

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"How do I make..." Worldgen questions thread. :O
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:48:39 am »

:O Maybe this thread will take off, and I will be e-famous, but;

Lets all ask our "how do we generate a world with ____ features?" questions here. :3c

Extremely small islands?
Low xy elevation variance with a /heavy/ lean towards low elevs?

(Think embark-size-islands)

EDIT:
Holy mother.    I just came.

I just found my first embarkable mountain peak.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:51:00 am by Elisebambi »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "How do I make..." Worldgen questions thread. :O
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:45 pm »

A higher rate of erosion and a wider elevation variance make for larger rivers, I think...

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 12:58:06 pm »

...urge...
to kill....
...rising...

over 200 z level difference between the highest and lowest points on my embark.

AND NO FUCKING CLIFFS?...
 fucking world gen.

Edit:
I lied, there is one cliff,
from the bottom of the mountain biome to the forest biome there is a 1z level tall cliff, the entire way around, happy day!.. ... so much fucking  d + z to do.

rage.

How i make cliffs....   B:

The only cliffs I've ever seen have been river-rosion cliffs... and, thats nice, but, a mountain 200 z levels tall that has straight ramps up every side? rage.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:59:42 pm by Elisebambi »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 01:18:25 pm »

I cannot check at the moment, but isn't there a variable to determine the number of erosion passes?

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 01:42:35 pm »

mine was at 20 for this gen.
and periodically erode extreme cliffs is off.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 01:57:25 pm »

Indeed getting actual cliffs is tricky, but the best chance comes from waterfalls, even in the mountains. They can carve long canyons with a waterfall near the mountains wherever you see mountain diverge into low-elevation biomes. on the embark screen in the elevation difference maps you will see the river follows a bar of high-elevation out until it leaves that embark area. The river almost always flows through this rise at the lowest ground z-level with a waterfall where it actually leaves the mountains, forming a long canyon, and very steep slopes with the occasional cliff. I could find one and take pics...
Unfortunately these canyons always run to the edge of the embark region and end there, so the next screen downstream is the normal flat, low terrain with no walls around the river. You can never embark where you could dig into the cliffs at the end of the canyon.

I had a world gen profile that created some enormous cliffs at one ocean beech/mountains location, I'll see if I can locate that. Not likely unfortunately.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:59:00 pm »

Now what I've always wanted is a guaranteed very tall, 100% open cavern. Any ideas? openness and passageways settings conflict with each other.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:02:10 pm »

Indeed getting actual cliffs is tricky, but the best chance comes from waterfalls, even in the mountains. They can carve long canyons with a waterfall near the mountains wherever you see mountain diverge into low-elevation biomes. on the embark screen in the elevation difference maps you will see the river follows a bar of high-elevation out until it leaves that embark area. The river almost always flows through this rise at the lowest ground z-level with a waterfall where it actually leaves the mountains, forming a long canyon, and very steep slopes with the occasional cliff. I could find one and take pics...
Unfortunately these canyons always run to the edge of the embark region and end there, so the next screen downstream is the normal flat, low terrain with no walls around the river. You can never embark where you could dig into the cliffs at the end of the canyon.

I had a world gen profile that created some enormous cliffs at one ocean beech/mountains location, I'll see if I can locate that. Not likely unfortunately.

That would make my day,
that is actually what I want the most, a coastal cliff.     B: Please, please say you find it.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:39:35 pm »

Now what I've always wanted is a guaranteed very tall, 100% open cavern. Any ideas? openness and passageways settings conflict with each other.

I use the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're much nicer, imo, it's more like having a second surface than a disorienting maze. They are more difficult to wall off, though.

AFAIK there's no variable for height but these tend to be about 4-5z high anyway.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:45:02 pm by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:42:07 pm »

How do you make flat volcanoes?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 02:57:09 pm »

How do you make flat volcanoes?
Don't these happen sporadically by default?

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 02:39:02 pm »

Well the question is how do we make it happen.

and... high volcanism, almost no xy elevation variance, and all of the minimums set to 0.  Hard to get mountains when you have 150z level across everywhar. :P

Edit:

Also, still trying to figure out how to make embark-able sized islands. x.o

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 03:45:06 pm »

Extremely high elevation variance, with lowest elevation set to 0 and highest elevation set to something above sea-level (depending on how spiky you want your islands) might give you some luck.  I think you'll be lucky to get a whole island into one (runnable) embark, though!

Edit: you might also want to play around with the elevation mesh size.

Also, I should point out the WorldGen Cookbook Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64032.390  :)

Page 26 about halfway down has some thoughts on small, embark-sized islands.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

The Button

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 04:45:36 pm »

Well the question is how do we make it happen.

and... high volcanism, almost no xy elevation variance, and all of the minimums set to 0.  Hard to get mountains when you have 150z level across everywhar. :P

Edit:

I've probably posted the question about flat volcanoes a hundred times on the formums and have never recieved a clear answer.  I'm desperate for the flat volcanoe but the world still needs some mountains for a parent civ.  I also want the world covered in volcanoes.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:12:43 pm »

From experience I've discovered that the easiest way to get anything specific is to generate pocket worlds. For flat volcanos I'd suggest something with high volcanism, lots of volcanos, tiny x-y elevation, but with your minimum and maximum zlevels set high. Also insure you've got one peak. That's likely to give you a lot of your volcanos in the mountains, but at least a few should be on the plains. Best part is you can just regen in a few seconds should you not find what you want.
Pages: [1] 2