Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tree farming.  (Read 2535 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Tree farming.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 12:07:42 pm »

That may be true on the surface, but it's definitely not the case underground - in fact, it's common for shrubs or saplings to sprout on top of existing trees, destroying the existing tree in the process (and generating a strange job cancellation message if it was a sapling that appeared).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 12:55:06 am »

10x10 is awfully small for a tree farm, even one that's just for Science.  I'd suggest 20x20.
Even 20x20 is tiny - if you're going to make a tree farm, go for broke and make it at least 50x50, preferably multiple Z-levels tall.
And he was talking about letting it for years and counting them, so why should he go for bigger? if it has a big difference we will see if not, well more tests awaits, but i completly understand that someone don't wan't to count on 2500 squeres ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Rex Tyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 06:26:31 am »

10x10 is awfully small for a tree farm, even one that's just for Science.  I'd suggest 20x20.
Even 20x20 is tiny - if you're going to make a tree farm, go for broke and make it at least 50x50, preferably multiple Z-levels tall.
And he was talking about letting it for years and counting them, so why should he go for bigger? if it has a big difference we will see if not, well more tests awaits, but i completly understand that someone don't wan't to count on 2500 squeres ...

You don't count the squares. Count the logs. 50 x 50. Have a trained bookkeeper. Have a large wood pile nearby. Every spring, clearcut the patch. Every autumn, record the logs count in the z stocks screen.

Since it's SCIENCE, you can make a point of only chopping those trees and never using wood. Results should be indicative of the true game mechanic and the larger the area, the more statistically relevant the SCIENCE.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 06:46:04 am »

If you have traffic in your farms, designate restricted traffic on the saplings you dont want trampled dead. I usually only do this once a year for the baby nether-caps and baby blood thorns. I will usually clear cut all the other varieties, and don't mind if I lose some potential growth on those others to dwarves stomping around. Nether-caps are pure awesome (beds for my nobles, those cold hearted bastards), and I think the blood thorns give a very dense, heavy log.

I loved tree farming in 2D, and I love it even more now, with all the variety.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 09:02:24 am »

Real-Life caught up to me this week and I wasn't able to do my testing. I think a 20x20 square would be better though. My plan was to make a wood stockpile the same size as the tree farm, that will make it easier for me to count how many logs get harvested but Rex had a good idea. Just make sure I have 0 before I harvest and have my bookkeeper count them for me. I'll work on the SCIENCE! this weekend.

Also, I use what wood I have the start temporarily and make a farm as soon as possible. My dwarves will not sleep in bed made from above ground wood, it smells like elves!
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 03:08:48 pm »

Here are my results so far:
2 20x20 spaces, one muddied, one not. Began digging spaces on the first day of spring. Digging and flooding were finished on 2 Slate (2nd day of 2nd month of Spring). I kept an eye on the spaces but didn't do any counting until I reached the next Spring. After 1 year, the muddied area had 4 adult trees and the dry area had 3 adults. After 2 years, the muddied area had 13 adult trees while the dry area had 8.

It isn't progressing that fast because I'm running this test in an unused area of a current fort so it isn't blazing along at 300fps but I am at about 120fps so the years pass fairly quickly. I'm surprised how many more trees the muddied area had after the 2nd year.

Update: Year 3, 14 adults in muddied area, 9 in dry. Year 4, 15 adults in muddied area, 9 in dry.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:58:23 pm by Cal »
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 09:31:10 am »

These results seem pretty conclusive, excellent.
Pages: 1 [2]