Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tree farming.  (Read 2536 times)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tree farming.
« on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:27 am »

I started making my tree farm (in sand layer) before I breached the cavern layer. I usually make a tree farm with reservoirs above so I can muddy the area for growing trees underground. But as soon as I breached the cavern trees began to grow. So my question is: is there any benefit to muddying sand/soil tiles to grow trees on? Also will trees grow on muddied rock? Any other tree farming tips? I found making the tree farm was a good way to train 6 good miners to 10+ level.
Thanks!

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
Re: Tree farming.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:27:44 am »

is there any benefit to muddying sand/soil tiles to grow trees on?
Thanks!

It says on the Wiki somewhere that muddied soil is letting Trees grow more dense. I dont know since i always muddy all of it, so i cant compare it really.

Also will trees grow on muddied rock?
"underground trees not only ignore this restriction for dry subterranean soil (since version 0.31.19) but will also grow on muddy subterranean stone."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:29:25 am by Lancezh »

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:31:34 pm »

I don't bother making my tree farms muddy. They seem to grow pretty dense in just the base soil. I think it's up to you. If you need some trees for beds, maybe a bit of ash, I think you'll be fine in non-muddy soil. If you're going to be churning out clear glass, you might need to muddy it (if it actually makes a difference). Tonight I'll make 2 10x10 rooms, muddy one, leave the other alone and let it run for a few years, see how many trees are in one vs the other and post some results.

Also, I make BIG tree farms so maybe that's why it seems like non-muddy soil works just fine for me.
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 05:43:17 pm »

10x10 is awfully small for a tree farm, even one that's just for Science.  I'd suggest 20x20.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:22:35 pm »

I make my  tree farms all the soil layers I have, personally. It's been some time since I've actually run out of wood. But then, I only use wood for beds, barrels, and bins. Kind of a holdover from the 40d versions where I was constantly running out of wood, I guess.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 07:29:43 pm »

Also, I make BIG tree farms so maybe that's why it seems like non-muddy soil works just fine for me.

i also.  my tree farm doubles as my animal pen.  it's about a full quarter of the map.  i still mainly use aboveground trees (and wood from caravans), but when under siege or wanting funkey colored items, i cut some of my indoor trees.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »

10x10 is awfully small for a tree farm, even one that's just for Science.  I'd suggest 20x20.
Even 20x20 is tiny - if you're going to make a tree farm, go for broke and make it at least 50x50, preferably multiple Z-levels tall.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 04:03:02 am »

Thinking about it: as the reservoir pretty much has to be *above* the tree farm to muddy it, its inefficient space usage. Better just to also dig out the whole z level the reservoir was going to be on. Think I will try non-muddied farms next fort, but just LOTS of them!

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 05:40:09 am »

I use my tree farm digging areas to train newbie miners.  I now have 9 legendary miners.  My biome is totally flat so I've dug out the entire 1st and 3rd z-levels to make tree farms (as they need soil tiles beneath them for trees to grow if NOT muddied).  Muddied areas sprout more trees than non muddied areas in my experience but if you have an area a full z-level accross you should eventually run out of reasons for needing wood after a while.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:18:33 am »

How do you exactly start tree farms? I tried to breach a cavern and wait, but I got only few trees in a very long time.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 08:14:56 am »

You dig out a large area, flood it with water (to make the floor muddy - optional when using soil, but mandatory when using stone) and allow the water to drain away, make sure all 3 cavern layers have been discovered (to maximize tree variety), then wait. It can take several years for a tree farm to reach sufficient density for harvesting.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 08:38:56 am »

It can take several years for a tree farm to reach sufficient density for harvesting.
the very reason i save my own, rather modest, 1/4 z-level farm for "emergency" situations.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 09:27:18 am »

It can take several years for a tree farm to reach sufficient density for harvesting.

Thanks! So I was doing well, I thought it would take less time. Now I only have to wait!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 10:46:04 am »

I never considered a tree farm: I usually just order a lot of wood.
The only time I cut down trees is when they're Glumprogs or Feather Wood.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Taranli Maren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 12:05:37 pm »

I recall reading that harvesting the plants will increase the yield of a tree farm.  The belief was that there can only be a certain number of shrubs+saplings at a particular time.  I don't know if it is true or not, but I've been operating under that belief for my last fortress or two.

I have constant wood shortages due to my reliance on charcoal for my metal industry.
Pages: [1] 2