Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Bay 12 Gun Thread  (Read 13448 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Gun Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 03:33:28 am »

Actually, it's a very /efficient/ cannon designed to kill about fifty birds in one shot.  Nom nom nom.  It's called a punt gun.  You mount it on your boat.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 03:36:18 am »

Oh. Well, then, it's efficient, yes, but I'd only be impressed if anyone ever needed to kill 50 birds in one shot. One's fine, 50 is dick-waving.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 03:41:57 am »

Oh. Well, then, it's efficient, yes, but I'd only be impressed if anyone ever needed to kill 50 birds in one shot. One's fine, 50 is dick-waving.
You put 5 of them on a boat.
 Then you invite some friends who also have boats with guns like that.
 Then you hunt ducks in flotillas like that. True story.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 03:42:40 am »

Comes from the olden days in Europe, when blasting a whole flock of ducks in one shot was a good job description.  Dutch, I believe.  They actually predate what we would know of as shotguns, since they've been around as long as there was metallurgy to make the barrels.  Loading one with shot and rod was a timely affair.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 03:43:34 am »

Ah, I see. In that case, yeah, that's pretty cool. Doesn't surprise me that it's Dutch.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 03:51:44 am »

Dick waving? DICK WAVING! But seriously, killing a flock in one shot is awesome.

Anyhoo, example ammo prices:
I just got a "brick" of 525 .22s for $18... let's just round that to 500 bullets and $20 and make a high price estimate of 5 cents per round (I paid 3.4 cents per round).
For $30, you get... 50 .40's, which makes 60 cents per round (probably also a high estimate, just first google results, so compare to 5 cents per a .22).

In other words, the .40's are about 12 times as expensive as .22's.

If you hit a wildcat with a .22 you'd probably scare it away, but it'll just make a bear angry. You'd be better off shooting the ground to make a noise. If you think you'll actually have to stop a bear, go for a 12-gauge (shotgun), 7.62 variant (Mosin-Nagant, SKS, AK47) or .30-06 (M1 Garand or Carbine). There ARE pistols that can stop or slow a bear, but you won't have an easy time target shooting with them- I'd go for a shotgun or carbine (you probably don't want to run around with a long rifle).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 03:57:05 am »

There ARE pistols that can stop or slow a bear, but you won't have an easy time target shooting with them...

I really wish I could find a video clip from Mail Call.  R. Lee Ermey (who's 67 btw) demonstrated a .50 pistol that specifically marketed for stopping bears.  The high-speed footage of the shot shows his entire forearm wiggling like jello.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 04:37:02 am »

There ARE pistols that can stop or slow a bear, but you won't have an easy time target shooting with them...

I really wish I could find a video clip from Mail Call.  R. Lee Ermey (who's 67 btw) demonstrated a .50 pistol that specifically marketed for stopping bears.  The high-speed footage of the shot shows his entire forearm wiggling like jello.

This one? Equipped with a compensator is truer than it sounds.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 05:52:09 am »

I've hit 20/20 skeet before with my shotgun (which is probably the best made piece of equipment I have).  From multiple angles. I have access to a gun range in my backyard that my family uses at family gatherings to shoot our guns and have a little mini-competition. There are also woods and hills in the lay of the land so rifle sharpshooting was a fun past time as well. I also have some experience with pistols, but those are mostly used to kill people rather than hunt for food so I was encouraged not to focus on them. That's not to say I don't know how to carefully handle such a thing.

EDIT: Although my saying such a thing about being able to carefully handle a gun worries me as it seems unrespectful towards what a gun can do.

EDIT2: Carefully handle a pistol, not killing anyone. I haven't killed anyone and have no desire to.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:58:21 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 05:54:38 am »

Yeah, my uncle has an ungodly number of trophies and medals and things from skeet-shooting contests, and a glass-topped coffee table filled with all sorts of ammunition, from AA shells (well, one) to spent shotgun cases.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 06:20:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If that thing had wheels you could hide it around a corner and shoot a whole bunch of shrapnal in whatever way it points.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:23:47 am by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 06:22:45 am »

Posting to watch. And take detailed notes.  ;D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 06:24:09 am »

Posting to watch. And take detailed notes.  ;D

Hehe

Make sure you do a goodly job rather than a good job.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:27:25 am by Duuvian »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 06:56:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If that thing had wheels you could hide it around a corner and shoot a whole bunch of shrapnal in whatever way it points.
Basically, you'd have a culverin loaded with grapeshot.

And anyways, there's always room for more dakka.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 07:22:52 am »

I used to be a decent shot with a Marlin .22 until my grandmother lost it. Could put all 14 rounds in a can from 100 yards or so.

Never had enough ammo to get the hang of the .357 my uncle used to bring over to shoot, but I handled the recoil ok. Was pretty good with the .22 automatic, though.

The SKS he had was shit. Couldn't hit a thing at 50 feet. The barrel must have been shot or something. His AR-15 was pretty sweet though. My dad could make a box dance in the air with it, but it was a little too big for me at 14.

(At the time, we lived outside city limits, and we had a large hill to use as a backstop.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5