Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: STAVKA-OKH: A wargame where even if your side lose, you can still win  (Read 4738 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: STAVKA-OKH: A wargame where even if your side lose, you can still win
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 04:58:04 pm »

I managed to have 35 million casualties.

I'm proud.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 05:02:39 pm »

I find this game to be entirely random, like a game or Rock-Paper-Scissors. Curiously I've never lost (militarily) as the soviets, no matter how little attention I paid to what I was signing. Having read a few articles on the topic, I find that oddly historic.

Just played an OKH Game, managed to win to the point I Succeeded Hitler. 13 Million Casualties.
Same thing, except just 10 million. In 1942. What?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 05:07:49 pm »

I managed to have 35 million casualties.

I'm proud.

Yeah, racked that one up too with a party-solid approach as the Axis, always focusing on full-frontal assaults.  Never managed to take the requisite cities, although I did manage to hold Leningrad and Stalingrad at the same time for a couple seasons.  Eventually the war ended in Armistice in 1946, and I became ambassador to Japan (for a presumably still-Nazi Germany).
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 05:34:10 pm »

Took Berlin in the Spring of 1947. 29 million casualties was apparently impressive enough that the Politburo allowed me to become Stalin's successor.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 05:34:34 pm »

24 million deaths.

Did I mention I'm now NATO chairman?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 05:45:59 pm »

You mean there is a position higher than "best-selling memior writer"?

That's an interesting thing about this game: it rewards hyper-competence (so that you get the big rewards when your side wins), hyper-incompetence (so you get the big rewards when the other side wins), or even mediocrity (hedging your bets and ensuring you don't get punished when either side prevails). It does not reward patriotism, sticking your neck out, and having your general fighting 'till the bitter end, which seems to contradict what a general is supposed to do.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 06:03:02 pm »

some of the victory messages are odd too, for example I was apparently (as a German) appointed to the very country we fought for 6 years to put down a rebellion there (in BeloRussia (sic), which was neither ours historically, nor even by right of conquest).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 06:10:10 pm »

You mean there is a position higher than "best-selling memior writer"?
curiously, no (it requires a lower (by absolute value) glory). Apparently you were so busy being an awesome memoirist, you had no time to suck up to Americans...

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »

Hmmm it seems like you can win easily by just selecting the cheapest plans.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 01:41:34 am »

some of the victory messages are odd too, for example I was apparently (as a German) appointed to the very country we fought for 6 years to put down a rebellion there (in BeloRussia (sic), which was neither ours historically, nor even by right of conquest).

This could be a reference to the Belarussian partisans who opposed both Germany and the Soviet Union. Belarus, at this time, was not actually a country, but instead a region of people that speak Belarussian and were "White Russians". It was divided between Poland and the USSR before the USSR invaded Poland as part of the 1939 Moltov Pact and took over all of Belarus. During the German invasion of the USSR, Germany invaded and occupied Belarus, inspiring an anti-German resistance movement.

That being said, it was a tad odd for me to be appointed "Governor of the Ukraine" as the Germans in one of my latter games, when the Germans don't actually own Ukraine and in fact barely reached "armistice" conditions, with the Russians camping outside the gates of Berlin. The Prussians must have a dry sense of humor. (Or the victory/defeat texts doesn't actually care about the map of territorial control...)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:47:27 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 04:45:53 am »

Is there a way to reduce the resolution of the game somehow?
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 04:58:44 am »

I managed to get 35 million casualties with an armistice in 1947. I then succeeded Hitler as the leader of the third reich. I'll make a great fuhrer.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 06:06:08 am »

13 million dead and I succeeded Hitler.(Took Moscow and Leningrad)

In another game that I lost I became the NATO chairman.

As the Russians I killed 34 million and took the place of Stalin.(armistice)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 07:29:47 am by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 11:11:24 am »

I got pretty lucky in one game and won as Germany in Autumn 1942. Became the next ruler of the Third Reich despite not fully supporting the party.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 [2] 3