Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My luck appears to be on a downward spiral  (Read 4059 times)

zeke47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My luck appears to be on a downward spiral
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:25:09 am »

Bit of a read, just short story of my experiences through adventure mode, if you want skip to the last paragraph.

ok so i've mostly been a fortress mode player, i decide, i know i'll go on an adventure for a change. my first guy is a dwarf demi-god(figured it'd help being my first time), he was a swordsman and the very first night boogeymen where upon me and i slaughtered 4-5 of them and they went away, i thought i was doing pretty good, people always said the boogey man where strong and i just killed 5 of them. I go get a quest, spend a good while figuring out how to get to the bandit camp and slaughter all 5 enemies by myself. I got myself some companions and went on another quest, unfortunately i was ambushed by goblins and shot in the head killing me instantly.

oh well it was my first try, i did pretty good for my first time i'll try again.

dwarf again i go and do ok again, but get mauled by some alligators and crawl to town for some help, this is when i find out dwarfs can't buy armor in human towns, shortly after i am killed by a bandit lord and his camp of ~20 men.

ok human this time i will get some armor and be safe from these instant deaths. I go to my first bandit camp to get some money to buy my armor, i walk up to the first enemy, a hammer wielding warrior, i cut one arms motion and the other arm clean off in my first two attacks (take that hammerman), but then i get bullrushed to the ground, and kicked in the spine, my man can never walk again... great, so i cut off his head crawl over to the bandit leader, stab him in the brain and on then realize... shit night will come before i can make it to town because i'm crawling so slow, they kill me.

this is when it starts to get really bad, after that time i go out, even after getting 2-3 guys from a castle to help fight and just die instantly every single time, even with maxed starting toughness and such, they just get a lucky chipped shin/elbow whatever and my guy instantly fall to the ground in pain and then gets stabbed in the brain. my most recent fight was versus 2 enemies, the lord(bowman) and his hammerman, we instantly kill the hammerman, then the bowman shoots me in the foot, then the leg, i can no longer walk, then my 2 allies run away from bleeding and he just takes potshots at me as i can't even land a blow anywhere on him as he dodges every time. i succumb to pain, he shoots me in the head, i wake up, he shoots me a few more times, i succumb to pain and he kills me.

what am i doing wrong, should i not be challenging a bandit right away? even when outnumbering him? am i just unlucky or should i be training on wildlife until i can save up for a full armor set? any help would be appreciated.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
Re: My luck appears to be on a downward spiral
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:16 am »

are you giving your adventurer a training regimen of knapping and throwing to get his important skills up to maximum?

I usually spend about 45 minutes doing so via use of macros and reading a book whil the macros play out, to get superhuman in the important stats. That way, you can put your starting stats into social skills to be able to recruit the maximum possible army of companions.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

zeke47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:37:06 am »

i have done some macros but how do you get them to loop without having to press ctrl p every short time frame
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:39:56 am by zeke47 »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 06:39:58 am »

what am i doing wrong, should i not be challenging a bandit right away? even when outnumbering him? am i just unlucky or should i be training on wildlife until i can save up for a full armor set? any help would be appreciated.

nothing seems out of order here.  it's just how adventure mode goes.  my last hero was the slayer of titans and rocs, and more night creatures than you'd care to shake a stick at, yet it all ended when i was ambushed by about 3 large groups of bandits, simultaneously.  i would have escaped to retire if it were not for the FOURTH ambush that triggered as i was fleeing.

but yea, in my experience, bandit camps are much more dangerous than night creatures or megabeasts.  most likely because there are more of them, and they are lead by the physical manifestations of gods (what else could so easily crush a demigod?)

on a hilarious aside:  once, during a three camp ambush, one of the bandit leaders died of old age.  was right after his introductory "dialog", too.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:49:05 am »

Haha, I wish I was that lucky. Kinda.

Try starting with animal quests, or night creatures, or anything that doesn't have an army of warriors hoping for the personal glory of killing you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:33:46 pm »

Train in your sneaking, and throwing. Save any bolts you acquire as throwing ammo. Move around the camps perimeter, assassinating archers.
 Dwarves can wear elf or goblin stuff, so some armor is to be had. Check the surrounding around destroyed mountain homes for lairs. Could have dwarven corpses/armor.
 A fun thing I am doing is making a minifort, whose sole purpose is trading for human equipment/weapons, and producing/buying dwarf sized stuff. Plus created a training danger room for companions. 5x5 area with lever in the center, and training spears surrounding it. Adventurer pulls lever, companions profit. For this make sure you turn traps on for adventurers, and be careful where you step.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 12:45:13 pm »

Dwarf Fortress works a LOT on luck.

No matter how good you are even weak enemies can get lucky and kill you with one hit (I had a Boogeyman do that to me while I had thick armor protecting it... though that is more because Dwarf Fortress doesn't have concussions) no matter how unlikely they are to hit you.

Plus you can always, because you destroyed a bandit camp, be accausted by an extremely powerful bandit with their masterwork equipment. Heck your fight with a Titan could just outright kill you.

So really unless you cheese things (some of the only ways to have a long lasting adventurer) your going to die horrible horrible deaths. Even then you can still get uttarly murdered.

Even Fortress mode your gambling on quite a few things. Such as no REALLY dangerous Megabeast attacking you, or an unlucky string of deaths causing a tantrum spiral, or

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »

(I had a Boogeyman do that to me while I had thick armor protecting it... though that is more because Dwarf Fortress doesn't have concussions)

what, just once?

i've had the bastards punch my head through an iron helm more times than i'd care to think about.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 07:22:42 pm »

Never died to bogeymen. I fight them off fairly regularly.

This game isn't impossible/frustrating until you start fighting demons. Many helldemons. From hellforts. I've lost 2 maxed characters to trying to clear an HFS infested fortress and now am sticking to bringing 19 soldiers to their deaths over and over again until I can collect what I came for.

Also, I highly suggest getting 19 soldiers to follow you and sleeping in the plains. You won't regret it, I promise. large ambush = army arc.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 08:18:55 pm »

Hey, having downward spiral luck is better than having tantrum spiral luck.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 08:30:56 pm »

(I had a Boogeyman do that to me while I had thick armor protecting it... though that is more because Dwarf Fortress doesn't have concussions)

what, just once?

i've had the bastards punch my head through an iron helm more times than i'd care to think about.

Helm, several caps, a hood... Plus armor that could actually protect my head (somehow...)

Never died to bogeymen. I fight them off fairly regularly

Use a blunt weapon and notice the difficulty spike. The Bogeymen basically bar me from using my favorite weapons... Blunt.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 11:25:25 am »

>i have done some macros but how do you get them to loop without having to press ctrl p every short time frame

you can press ^p while recording to add what you've already recorded to the recording endlessly.  macro playback seems to stop when you mouse away from df too. 

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »

>i have done some macros but how do you get them to loop without having to press ctrl p every short time frame

you can press ^p while recording to add what you've already recorded to the recording endlessly.  macro playback seems to stop when you mouse away from df too.

Here's a quick rundown of how to do this.  Press ctrl-r to start/stop recording your macro, and ctrl-p to play it.  When you press ctrl-r to start recording, it erases your previous recording.  If you press ctrl-p while you're recording a macro, it will play everything that you've recorded so far, and add it to the end of the macro.

An example:  If you press ctrl-r and then "left left right ctrl-p", then by pressing ctrl-p you will move left twice and right once, since that's what was in the macro before, and you'll add this to the macro, so you'll have "left left right left left right".  If you press ctrl-p again, you'll get "left left right left left right left left right left left right".  You can see that by doubling it every time will let you get very long macros in a short amount of time.

Practical example:  if you're holding nothing but a single stone and you're standing on a stone pile, you can knap and throw stones with a single macro.  Press "g-(key to select rock)-x-(go through the menu to knap the rock)-t-(key to select rock)-(direction key)-enter" to pick up a rock, knap it, and throw it in a direction.  This trains archer, thrower, and knapper and raises attributes.

zeke47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 06:42:00 pm »

thanks for the reply, though i did figure that out on my own, even after making sure its a perfect loop it seems to adventually break and miss a part once it goes on long enough though(which doesn't make sense since it worked the first 4 times)

edit: oh missed micha's thats probably the prob thats happened, moving the mouse away
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:03:16 pm by zeke47 »

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 02:17:03 pm »

Your playing as a Demigod you should play as a hero, this way you get skill at the game, although there is no right way to play this game.
Pages: [1] 2