Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The free and/or cheap RTS thread  (Read 4687 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: The free and/or cheap RTS thread
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »

I downloaded the spring enginge and now have to get games and maps for it.

Ayup you need to get some games. Most played are Zero-k and Balanced Annihilation IIRC. Maps will download automagically when you join a game. If you're using the Zero-K lobby you can also download the games from there.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 06:53:31 pm »

Legaue of Legends is an RTS...*Shrug.*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 07:05:48 pm »

I miss the Warlords: Battlecry series.  I'm getting the feeling it's abandoned forever :(    It had the best rpg/rts system.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

Starcraft 1 or Warcraft 3.  Considering they're both about a decade old they shouldn't cost too much.  Good games, plenty of mods and custom levels too.

Edit: I'll also throw in Age of Empires 2.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 08:08:12 pm »

C&C Generals - Zero Hour with the Shockwave mod. No need for anything else :D
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 08:30:17 pm »

I'll second the not very well known Universe at War! It's currently $5 on Steam, so you can't go wrong. Completely different and innovative factions - they play more differently between themselves than Starcraft's, in my opinion :)

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2011, 08:32:37 pm »

I absolutely hated Universe at War. There's a reason it come out at $40 and is now at $5. I picked it up for 99 cents on Amazon and it was still a waste of money imo.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2011, 08:43:04 pm »

I was looking at Universe at War and it looks fairly interesting ... then I saw it uses Games for Windows Live.

No sale.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2011, 09:33:18 pm »

I know its old, but still cant go wrong with Rome Total War. Still alot of MP going on with that it seems.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 09:46:47 pm »

Maybe I should rename this thread to. . . The RTS Compendium. Also, I remember playing a game when I was pretty young. It was in a medieval fantasy setting and had like 8 factions. It was what got me into RTS games in the first place. I remember that the main rescource was mana, any guesses?

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2011, 10:11:37 pm »

RTS Is my favorite genre of game, next to rpgs and fps games. I wish that a game where one could switch from squad view to first person would be made. . . .all of your suggestions are good, and I will definatley be checking them out. Also, something downloadable is prefered.
Urban Assault allows for switching between tactical and First Person mode. Entering FP mode gives a bonus to the unit you are controlling (any unit in your army can be controlled directly).

Some of the most fun I've ever had in a demo, both single- and multiplayer.

It's old though, really old.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:52 am »

I would also suggest Age of Mythology, and the expansion (I got it at a book fair for like $15)

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2011, 06:41:28 am »

Maybe I should rename this thread to. . . The RTS Compendium. Also, I remember playing a game when I was pretty young. It was in a medieval fantasy setting and had like 8 factions. It was what got me into RTS games in the first place. I remember that the main rescource was mana, any guesses?

Only things coming to mind are Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, which had only mana as resource, but only 4 factions. It's the only one where I remember mana playing such a prominent role.

Or maybe Warlords Battlecry, with more factions(maybe 8), but a lesser importance of mana.

- above mentions are dug up from this dusty old library that is my memory.
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 07:52:36 am »

I think that it was warlords, I will be re living my child hood soon. It also had strong leaders, who had a bunch of abilities, and one faction had a bunch.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 03:21:45 pm »

Warlords: Battlecry series has 4 different resources and a ton of different factions.  The last in the series had 16.

You create a hero unit through a race/class system, and then you can customize it through a full stats/spellbook/skill tree/equipment system.  The level of depth in customizing your hero is almost on par with most action/adventure rpg games.  No, it does not play like one.  It plays like a pure RTS.  Your hero is treated just like a normal unit in-game... just a really awesome and important one.

Then all of the units in the game also level up, though their progression is strictly linear.  There is no customization.  Though every faction does have "general" units, who are really advanced and typically get a spell or two as they level up.

Your hero also has a retinue, so you can save leveled up or special units and take them from battle to battle.  There are even ways in the campaign to get super-special units, such as dragons, or units not normally available to your faction.  If units in your retinue die, they die forever.  You can also set your hero to have perma-death, and they grant him a x2 xp boost if you do so.

Grind isn't necessary for online play, as the set-up screen has an impressive array of options for customizing gameplay, including giving people the option to create a hero of a certain level from scratch just for that game.

Unfortunately, it's never been a series with a huge following, probably because it's never sported super flashy graphics or obnoxious art direction, blistering pace of gameplay, or a harshly unforgiving rage inducing learning curve (which seems to be what draws competitive gamers).  It's been my favorite RTS for a long time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4