Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The free and/or cheap RTS thread  (Read 4686 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: The free and/or cheap RTS thread
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:00 pm »

There's a "game" called Spring, it's actually more comparable to an engine on which the actual games a la the BYOND system. It's free, though, and high quality. Based on Total Annihilation, btw, if you like that style.
Nothing important here, move along.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15:56 pm »

Stronghold series From the very first to the newest and soon to come out 3rd. The 3rd one will be pricey but there is actually a $20 pack of the original, crusader, stronghold 2, and stronghold 2 legends (magic and dragons and stuff). If only I could wipe the games from my mind and replay them :( (but sadly you can't buy them individually so 20 bucks is just too much for just legends for me.)

If you haven't heard of them they are like, the ultimate RTS. Realistic missile weapons, units are individual and not groups into squads, fully customizable fortresses with heavy economy gameplay and is the closest thing to a medieval simulator you can get.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:18:04 pm by Micro102 »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 11:28:00 pm »

RTS Is my favorite genre of game, next to rpgs and fps games. I wish that a game where one could switch from squad view to first person would be made. . . .all of your suggestions are good, and I will definatley be checking them out. Also, something downloadable is prefered.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 11:28:14 pm »

I don't actually know if it is cheap, but I assume it is. Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. I spent half of my summer last year playing it on a friend's low-end PC. I'm not sure how well known it is, but it's pretty damn great. They did a decent job creating unique factions with very different playstyles, and it even has a story though I don't recall if it was any good. The expansion's campaign missions are also face-palmingly hard at times, though it could be argued it was bad design (which I disagree with). That's only the expansion missions, though.

What happened with the creators of the TA series, anyway?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 11:31:20 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think that if you get Spring engine then you can play a free version of Total Annihilation, kinda.

As for Stronghold, I'm curious to see what Stronghold 3 will be like. I do know I was pretty terrible at the other games though =p

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 11:49:01 pm »

Spring was modeled on TA, and a large number of the mods are based on taking the original Total Annihilation and running with it in various directions, whether sticking to the original, making it more balanced, or creating a completely new beast that still plays similarly to the original but works in an entirely different manner when you get to specifics.
Nothing important here, move along.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 12:43:41 am »

Thank you guys for finding these. I suck at finding good RTS games.

dehimos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 04:28:26 am »

0 A.D.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 06:01:36 am »

If you're looking for RTS' with cover systems and intricate mechanics, you can't go wrong with the realistic Men of War series or Relic's more arcady but still devastatingly fun, Company of Heroes.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 06:43:42 am »

Company of Heroes is really good. It's a blast to watch explosions in this game and even without explosions, it's still a fun game.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Dark Crusade. I've spent so many hours on that game 0.o Really good game with a lot of different races that each have their own unique playstyle!

The last game I'd like to recommend is Universe at War: Earth Assault. The campaign is a lot of fun, although outside of the campaign (which takes about 10-15 hours) the game gets a bit boring. Those 10-15 hours however, are a blast :)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 10:26:40 am »

am i a jerk to post here a link to the thread that is stickied at the top of this forum section?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77436.0

Free game list?! What?! I never noticed that. What was it, buried on page 42 of the forum?
Ummm.... No. It's been stickied for some time.

Yes, I know. I've even posted in the stickied topic.

The Starcraft Battle Chest is $20 new. Buy it.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 10:32:12 am »

Im downloading O.A.D, Warzone 2100, and Spring after watching videos and they all seem interesting. gonna test em out.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 10:53:03 am »

Stronghold 2, its a medival RTS,a dn one of the best games ever as it gives a challenge, multiple ways to play, and you cna have ,massive battles (Me, adn my brother play it, adn we were able to get around 900 archers with very little lag along with  300, or 400 spears, adn cavalry).

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 11:38:29 am »

TA: Spring
springrts.com
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 04:41:43 pm »

My rig cant run O.A.D, I downloaded the spring enginge and now have to get games and maps for it (?) Warzone 2100 runs good and is  pretty fun to play. Take a look at warzone 2100, thats what my computer can handle. Keep that in mind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4