Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post a screenshot of your fortress!  (Read 2748 times)

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Post a screenshot of your fortress!
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:06:53 pm »

Lets see some screenshots of your greatest/current/worst fortress.

Backstories welcome!
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
Re: Post a screenshot of your fortress!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:22:04 pm »

so,i present you:
MAGMA LAKE OF DOOM

plus extra drawbrigges for ultimate satisfactory.
i make an comunnity game if i get all things up and running
and if i have time.
EDIT:yay first post
I am a Goober.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:29:23 pm »

OH yeah good trhead now i can show off (again) my microcline fortress  Rawbeer, which hurt my eyes so i abandoned it
http://postimage.org/image/2ttrcrsec/

My  1st (and only so far) fortress in default tiles. Splashswords
http://postimage.org/image/j3p4c1yc/

One fort which died in the first siege or so :D
http://postimage.org/image/xx756n8/

Current fortress, Fleshystakes located in a river valley. Enemies are supposed to come from the right along the brook. This fort is mainly flat with only exception of graveyard and magma forges
http://postimage.org/image/2m8nhsqmc/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:18:45 pm by dwarfhoplite »

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:32:37 pm »

first level of Cavebusts. Cage trap lined entrance leading to the depot, a LOT of smoothing and engraving, statues everywhere. only way to the booze stockpile is a 1 wide path under a waterfall, makes the dwarfs get stalled there and have happy thoughts. workshops that are full of engravings are (mostly) for legendary-skilled dorfs, everyone has a nice bedroom. admins get engravings in their rooms. Finished good stockpile, fancy dining room.. yeah.

the baron gets really fancy stuff.. still need to fill it with statues, his tomb too. also, more workshops, the place for bad dorfs and the catacombs i've just started on, because we just had our first death from stupid dorfs who can't seem to carry a bucket of water to the poor bastard in chains because I didnt make crystal glass.

Also I'd like to say this fortress is batshit, and yet noone (save poor uristmcfurnaceoperator) has died. I have one seemingly ridiculously uber dorf who just killed her 3rd monster. Not to mention the 6 goblins she's taken solo. She's had a cyclops she killed, two minotaurs, 6 goblins and the fortress is only in the 4th year..

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:52:35 pm »

Behold, the cluster**** that is Razorgems. My most successful fort by far, but I really have a problem managing that many dorfs (currently have around 80 idlers!). I'm thinking of building and relocating everyone to an above ground fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The massive red stain near the front gate is a leftover from the many goblins that tried to assault us. The big red spot in the middle of the road is actually just some clay that showed up when I collapsed a structure there. I once had little rectangular fortification boxes scattered around the map. Dwarves would use underground tunnels to access them and snipe invaders. Once my military got strong enough to face the goblins head-on, I lost the need for those (they weren't that effective anyways) so I removed them. There are two rectangular formations of stones visible in the image where those boxes used to be. 

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:21:59 pm »

I'll just post a link to an album of its levels.

http://img.ie/users.php?act=gallery&gal=180

I'm carving the fortress out of the ground by collapsing layers around it. I haven't gotten around to any collapsing yet, and have stopped working on that fortress for a little while.

Most of my fortress layouts are nothing special to look at. A jumble of store rooms, workshops, mines, farms, and living quarters. If my dwarves saw what an ugly place they had to live in they would complain.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 07:50:53 am »

Here's my current forest retreat with the Elf Retreat mod:
In case you're wondering, most of those lined up trees in the middle are ents.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 03:43:39 pm »

Engraved on the forum is an exceptionally crafted post in electrons. The post is a collection of pictures and narration by new forum user HunterBlackLuna. The post relates to the founding and operation of the Dwarven Fortress Anusdimple the Angry Angelic Disembowelment of Artifice.

Beautiful embark location. River, plenty of greenery and trees, and the river only freezes up for a sliver of the year, the only hardship the weather inflicts on us. The worst of the local wildlife we've had are roving bands of badger boars that occasionally annoy the fishers and woodcutters. A safe zone in DF terms for a nublet player.

Here's the entrance level.

We dug straight into the hillside in Minecraft fashion. The sole entrance is guarded by a smattering of tarps, mostly simple stonefall, as well as two drawbridges to create a safe courtyard. I was slowly expanding the pretty microcline walls when three consecutive Gobbers sieges hit us. (the group with the General is visible in the upper right corner. Another group is atop the hill, near the river. Both groups have been chilling for some time. The third got bored, packed up their toys, and left already.) Food prep area and butcher shop are inaccessible except by separate stairs in the main fortress level for security. The barracks houses our underdeveloped and poorly equipped militia. Main stairways take such a circuitous route to get to, again for security. On the left is the entrance to the depot level, one z down. Also, the canal where I've been unsuccessfully trying to establish my caravan-drowning trap. Indoor refuse stockpile just in case is at the bottom, far from any other room.

Depot level. Floodgates to either side and drawbridge to isolate the depot, flood it with river water, and then send the water away to dissipate on a lower level. Or, at least, that was the plan. My disappointment is lessened because we've been doing brisk business before the siege locked us down. One of our dorfs is on Make Rock Crafts /R and is a master at it and churning out bins worth thousands of dorfbucks each. I've basically bought all of our weaponry and some other metal items because I have very little metal industry going.

Proceeding down, we have the General Stores. Anything that isn't in somebody's room, the food stockpile, or sitting in the depot goes here. Smoothed and dumped every room through sheer dorfpower because, hey. Got a lot of idlers. The bottom huge room is where the drowning trap water is supposed to go. Hoping to get it spread out to 1/1 and dissipate for endless repetition. If the trap ever works, which I've kind of given up on.

The Main Level. Individual rooms for well over 200 Dorfs with a Nobles Quarter near the bottom. Throne room, bedroom, tomb all carved out in case we get an important enough leader. All smoothed but mostly un-engraved except for the main corridor. Main Hall seats around 40-50, although I have that many idlers and they barely use up half of the place at any time. Food stockpile and stairs up to Food Prep adjacent to the Hall on the left. To the right is the general control room with levels for the drawbridges and one I have yet to hook up to a task. I put the levers in those positions to help me remember. Put up an office for Da Mare but she didn't care for it much aside from the bedroom. Workshops up top, with very easy access to the Stores or anywhere else. Each workshop can be sealed with a single wall section for security in case of a failed mood. The statues, very nice dining room and individual, smoothed quarters keep almost every resident Happy or better on a regular basis. Last-ditch drawbridge can seal off the habitation and food sections of the Fortress from the rest if all else fails.

The catacombs level beneath. Statues in the main hall because I felt like it and smoothed, personal rooms for every Dorf that falls, no matter the circumstances. Most of those coffins are empty, so far.

The Fortress Jails. Yes, I've even smoothed over the cells. Office for the Sheriff when we get one and plenty of room for expansion. We're really tight on metal, and so I didn't make a jail until Da Mare got angry that her mandate (for pig iron) was ignored. The captain of the guard beat the militia commander to death in the food stockpile. In order to prevent a repeat occurrence, I had to forge chains of gold, one of the only metals available. Pretty fancy jail, all around, then.

That's the fortress proper, really. All in those levels. The main stairway then descends for about 40-so z-levels until, praise the Miners, we struck Warm Stone.

We've also struck two caverns so far, having to readjust the main stairwell a little. The first one is quite watery. I'd love to get at that, but my lack of experience and military capability have made me shy of breaching either at all.

I chose this level to establish a secondary barracks and hospital facilities, and had hoped to begin breaching and collecting some of those wierd cave things when a forgotten beast showed up and starting having it out with a large number of Antmen. Who won?

Nobody.

So that's what's going on with my fortress! I'm kind of proud of it, especially since I'm such a nubcake. This is my first real attempt at it that I've stuck with.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 06:41:16 pm »

http://postimage.org/image/2k87ibr1g/
We lost 50 dwarves in that siege. 30 enemies flee'd remaining 4 untrained troops.
After  catastrophe outside we had disaster inside. we got slaughtered like pigs.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 06:02:00 am »

Dwarfhoplite, I WANT YOUR MAP. Been looking for cliffs with surface magma for ages :(
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 07:00:07 am »

Dwarfhoplite, I WANT YOUR MAP. Been looking for cliffs with surface magma for ages :(
This map has no water so you have to hack it in. also there are no caverns.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 08:12:08 am »

Village, Thobked "Girderfeeds" Pop:64

I'b building tower so I could drop goblins to their death. Notice former stone stockpile to make the world more beautiful. I sometimes coat the outside world with rocks to make it more dwarfy.
Work area, meeting hall and noble quarters.
Mayors quarters and furniture storage. Farming and militia training happens in caverns. Well is in level -21.
FB composed of fire went swimming in cavern lake. Also, the grass is on fire.

I used dormitory as makeshift hospital due to lazines.

[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 02:09:48 pm »

My current fort which im quitting due lack of too rare sieges
http://postimage.org/image/2wkxp2fc4/

Everything except magma forges and quarry are on this floor

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 02:32:38 pm »

This is the small home of my forts "Village Idiot", who walled herself out of the fort by mistake.  I tossed her a pick and an axe and told her "Good Luck!"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:38:16 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !
Pages: [1] 2