Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Co-Op Games Single PC  (Read 1651 times)

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Co-Op Games Single PC
« on: July 15, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »

Bored and looking for some two player co-op games to play on the PC. Anything works, but faster to start is better. Help me out, gents?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Co-Op Games Single PC
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:05:54 pm »

Trackmania is a larger download but a BLAST splitscreen on the same PC, because then you can give your friend two fingers when his final time is 00.00.02 shorter than yours, even though you are clearly the pro here, how did he manage that anyway, screw him.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:11:14 pm »

The word you're looking for to describe what you want is "hotseat". That might just ease your search.

Other than that, not really a genre I explore much... You can play a lot of Turn-based Strategies hotseat. Cortex Command was awfully fun in hotseat last I checked.

Hmm... If you don't mind dated (but beautiful for their time) graphics, try Tyrian. Pretty darn easy to get into, free, and really quite challenging if you want it to be.
http://code.google.com/p/opentyrian/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:47:32 pm by Twerty »
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 02:39:58 pm »

Isn't hotseat where only one player plays at a time, but when their turn is up the next person plays? Sorta like Worms?

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:43:48 pm »

Isn't hotseat where only one player plays at a time, but when their turn is up the next person plays? Sorta like Worms?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotseat_%28multiplayer_mode%29
Wikipedia says there's simultaneous and turn-based to differentiate between the two, but in retrospect I'm more inclined to agree with you.

Oh well, it might help him either way.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 02:45:20 pm »

No, I think hotseat implies both. RTSs are generally not hotseat, TBSs are.

The games my wife and I play together are Heroes of Might and Magic, Warlords, and Worms. Trine would probably be fun, but I never got around to getting a corded XBox 360 controler.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:48:26 pm »

Hotseat is used to describe taking turns.
You share the same chair, hence the term "hotseat" :P
Expanding that term to any other form of local multiplayer is just silly.

Simultaneous: Cortex Command, Magicka, and Beat Hazard are three I can think of.
Hotseat: Trackmania, Civilization (if they finally got the patch that enabled it out, anyway)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:49:15 pm »

The games my wife and I play together are Heroes of Might and Magic, Warlords, and Worms. Trine would probably be fun, but I never got around to getting a corded XBox 360 controler.

Why get an Xbox controller when you can get this?

This is the controller I'm trying to get once I have money and games that I want to play with it.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »

No, I think hotseat implies both. RTSs are generally not hotseat, TBSs are.

Urk, I don't know why I wrote "RTS" when I clearly had a mental picture of Civ3 in my head. Whoops.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 02:52:29 pm »

There's a version of Doom out there that lets two players play split-screen on the same computer. It might be called like "Doom Legacy" or something, I don't remember exactly.

There aren't a lot of mainstream games nowadays (unless it's a turnbased strategy game) that let two players play co-op on the same computer. That's tends to be more of a console thing.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 02:58:52 pm »

Why get an Xbox controller when you can get this?

This is the controller I'm trying to get once I have money and games that I want to play with it.
As an owner of this controller, I'd consider not buying Logitech's controllers if you can help it. The analog sticks have little to no resistance on them making accurate gestures (i.e. walking instead of running) difficult, the buttons seem "soft" so it's hard to tell when they're in or not, the controller feels bulky and strange, and in general it just feels pretty cheap. I'd strongly consider buying an actual controller, they feel much more comfortable, are much more durable because they're MADE for rowdy console people, and you still get the features like force feedback/vibration and pressure sensitive buttons you won't get if you go with Logitech's. Just my two cents.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 03:19:58 pm »

Shoot First maybe? It's a rogue-like, so it'll be good for awhile but you'll probably get fed up with it at some point. It plays a little blocky for me and I'm not sure if it's like that for everyone, specifically it gets these annoying lag spikes when bullets explode on stuff. I'll have to wrack my brain to come up with some more, I usually take a mental note on this kind of thing when looking at games.

For the controller discussion, if you intend to use a gamepad you really have no excuse not to use either a PS3 controller or an Xbox one. I don't care for the Xbox controller, personally. Use MotioninJoy for all your driver and support needs on the PS3 controller (I think it does xbox stuff but don't know/care enough about it to investigate). The UI is kind of odd but it works wonderfully.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 05:48:16 pm »

I must say, I think a wired 360 controller is really the superior gamepad. And Trine is a PHENOMENAL game to play with a buddy on the PC. I can't recommend it enough. I've run through it like that 3 times. Fun every time.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.