Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do you guys "reload"?  (Read 1851 times)

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you guys "reload"?
« on: July 15, 2011, 09:35:24 am »

I was thinking about the motto "Losing in fun"
And something came to my mind.

I, as an RTS player, when I play a SP game I save for every step my men do before the battle (in different files O:)
And I would have lost my fort for 3 times now if I haven't shut DF with the Task Mannanger.
So I ask for you guys, do you guys "Reload" a save when you make bad choices that make you lose your fort during a siege?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you guys "reload"?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:36:31 am »

I used for your same reasons to but now I prefer to play it out to either the end or FPS death.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 09:40:18 am »

I tend not to savescum. It ruins glorious moments like my current terrifying glacier that has 1 wounded dwarf alive in early summer of the first year. If he lives until migrants come... oh god.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:42:52 am »

Its kinnda harsh for a new player (of DF) like me to accept defeat like this...
Like lose 3 soldiers by a misplaced ballista shot that destroyed my defense and some things like that.
I think with time I will learn to live and let die.
But for now, im a little childish about this.

xD

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:48:19 am »

I only savescum if I breach the candy tube accidentally, and then only if the hollow center goes up stupidly far; if I'm digging too deep I figure I deserve a fortress death.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:56:23 am »

I savescum relentlessly for  just about any reason. I'll spend an hour savescumming right before immigrants arrive to make sure I get one with the personality/attributes I want, or to get particular artifacts, or to revert a bad seige, or whatever.

The reason is that I'm really more interested in the design aspects of the game than anything else -- I'm trying to see if I can get various projects built, and starting a megaproject over every time some random thing goes wrong is just too damn annoying to put up with.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:24:51 am »

I have once or twice a while back, I don't plan on it with my current fort (which has already been through a few instances of idiocy like when I killed 4 of my seven miners (took two years in-game but I've trained up new ones and fixed the excavation via scaffolding that went up, fixed things, and then was disassembled again)). I try now to take things in the spirit of 'that's what's happened, deal with it' but I wasn't always that way.

I don't look down on anyone for save scumming though, I was there.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:55:25 am »

Although I personally don't savescum myself (being that its the disasters and failures that make the game), I don't mind other people doing so since we all have our own goals and playstyles.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:10:05 am »

I savescum. Mostly for when I'm trying some things I haven't done before, like digging out a moat (disaster), or making an underground waterfall (DISASTER).

I only reload if I screw up bad. If I'm attacked or something, I tend to go with it, no matter the outcome.
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 11:32:31 am »

I reload... every time the game crashes.  ::)   I think I have narrowed it downed to opening the first cavern layer and a few FBs wanting to have Fun.  Like they can't have any so throw tantrums and crash the thing.

As far as savescuming... not yet.  I always find it such a pain to even redo the few things I've already done once that I almost don't even want to start new fortresses.

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 12:44:18 pm »

Haha, this time if I do something stupid I wont reload.
The only problem is that I spent about 12 hours of my life in this fort. xD

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 01:56:43 pm »

Yes.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 02:19:01 pm »

I try not to, but I still do somewhat often. Mainly due to military stupidity and ridiculous checkerboard mining patterns that cause 10,000 cave-ins into the dining hall.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 02:41:21 pm »

Only rarely, and even then only when dwarven stupidity makes the fort near-unplayable. Even then, I usually abandon outright or struggle on.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 02:49:52 pm »

No, I don't savescum.

Not that I oppose that in principle, in games like DF accidents can happen too easily... it's just that I haven't got into saving often enough that it would be of any use.

(if the game autosaves, DON'T tell me, lest I become a pitiful savescummer!)
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: [1] 2 3