Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do you guys "reload"?  (Read 1847 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Do you guys "reload"?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 02:56:02 pm »

I am a dirty savescummer and proud of it.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 02:57:02 pm »

I may sometimes savescum when I find I lost because of a flawed game feature

Example of a situation I had today: A vile force of darkness arrived, Urist McCommander decked out in the best equipment, best experienced from many fallen comrades who were less lucky, last best hope of leading the new squad of steel equiped peasants to victory cancels station, must absolutely sleep through the siege. Good luck defending without me now!

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to consider going to sleep the moment your home is under siege and you play a vital role in its defense.

I also save very often as I tend to have lots of crashes when inspecting equipment and corpses, I don't know why but everytime someone has a lot of contaminants on him my game flips out and crashes on the spot.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 03:01:33 pm »

Nah. Losing is fun. :D

I do check out embarks with DFreveal, and abandon if the metal situation is too hopeless. I don't feel Dwarfy if I'm not smelting and smithing, preferably with coal. (Note to Toady: Moar coal plzthx.)

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 03:15:21 pm »

I savescum before sieges and before any collapses.

If I lose the siege fairly, then I like to just abandon the saves, and the surrender to the siege when I reload.

In the event that they get lucky hits, and 4 of my dwarfs die by rolling into a tree, then I reload.

Before collapses, I savescum in case of a stupid miscalculation.  Like a dwarf trying to pick up a rock from the recent digging the instant the support removes itself.

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 10:57:26 pm »

I used to, but now I'm trying to stop. I will see if my playstyle is better with or without.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 11:08:46 pm »

I tend to spend months on a single fort, so if something goes too terribly wrong I'll savescum, especially if it alters the fort permanently in a way that I don't like. I don't have time to throw away months of work.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 11:42:49 pm »

I don't. Occasionally, I'll save, back the save up, test something (like collapsing a few layers without safety precautions), and force-close. That's just for preliminary testing, though.

I don't enable autosave or autobackup. I'll occasionally create a backup copy of something, but that's generally for a cool fort before I send it to its fiery end.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 12:24:34 am »

I've never felt that attached to a fort or to a location to savescum. By the time something nasty happens chances are I'll have started to hate my fort structurally and will have great plans for a new, more glorious fortress. I like starting new forts.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 01:15:29 am »

I save a lot, assuming that I might reload if something goes really awry, but I almost never actually do it.  When the worst starts happening, the fort seems to gain so much character... there's the guy with the missing hand and leg, there's the gal that had to have like 25 medical procedures, half the population is all blistered up because I didn't deal with the deadly dust FB appropriately, blah blah.  I admit to ragescumming a few times, like when the great militia commander decides she wants to swing by the refuse pile outside before she reports for the station order, walking right into 3 siege squads.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 01:22:20 am »

I try not to, but I still do somewhat often. Mainly due to military stupidity and ridiculous checkerboard mining patterns that cause 10,000 cave-ins into the dining hall.
A rule of thumb (for me) for multi z-level digging is start at the top, strip that layer then work your way down, unless the last part has some lethal fall below it, which you then engineer a cave-in device to rip down the very last level which is only a floor.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 08:36:59 am »

Nah, I figure I'm eventually going to lose anyway, so why bother.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 09:08:52 am »

I have done so before but each of those were due to some major bug or another.  Stuff like the melting or endless sleep bug when I didn't want to have to reclaim the site and deal with the related hassles.

I have also done so on fresh embarks when a site just doesn't look as awesome at the tile level as I expected.  And I don't want to have an abandoned fortress icon on the map just because dwarves showed up and looked around for a bit before deciding to go home.  I'm not sure that counts though.

I don't savescum for simply losing though.  The only time I have was because I thought I encountered a bug that made me lose. My marksmen wouldn't fire or collect ammo despite the ammo stockpile being full of bins.  I savescummed, thinking it had to be a bug.  Turned out that I was just out of ammo.  All the bins were empty but I hadn't checked that.  The bins just weren't moved because I had no stockpile for empties. 

But if I lose simply because I didn't have my military ready in time?  Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 10:38:28 am »

Its funny, i'm a jagged alliance 2 player where you load and save like every 10 seconds but in this game it doesnt even come to my mind to savescum, dont know why but i lost already alot of forts due to this. But nevertheless i always had fun to rebuild and have new fun, everytime the fortresses improved in ways that wouldnt have happend if i'd just loaded.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 10:52:47 am »

Never!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 08:08:44 pm »

No. It's so much more Fun that way.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady
Pages: 1 [2] 3