Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unknown Crashes -- Please Suggest  (Read 2258 times)

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unknown Crashes -- Please Suggest
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:18:15 am »

Please suggest some ideas as to why DF would unexpectedly close itself.  I find that about 1/3 of the time the game will present a crash report, and it looks legitimate (It turns out this was due to a bugged 4x4 square).  The other 2/3 of the time, DF will unexpectedly close with no report, and no reason.  The game will not save, lag, or really show any signs of anything being wrong, and the window will just close as if I had ended the task.

Running: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
System: Acer Aspire 1420G
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 645 (3.10GHz)
RAM: 4.00GB (3.75GB)

Please give me all of your ideas, don't just stop with one!

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Crashes -- Please Suggest
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:18:46 am »

Reserved for Listing Ideas (Will be updated when I wake up)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:34:54 am »

Nearly all of the times I have seen legitimate crashes in DF are:

1) When swapping adventurers in adventure mode through external utilities, then trying to talk to somebody (esp. gods) as the swapped adventurer (crashes with report)
2) When I've accidentally duplicated RAWs, and error handling doesn't keep the game from crashing when loading a null object reference (like playing as an FB civ) (generates a report and crashes)

I haven't seen any other crashes in vanilla .35.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »

This is 0.31.25 in Dwarf Fortress mode.

I've made changes to the RAWs, but the files have all been copied from my last computer, which never did this.

I'm also running Fortress Defense Mod, but as I stated, I haven't had issues with the files I'm using until now.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 03:03:23 pm »

Do you experience unusual instability in other applications or games, especially high-performance ones?

Do you get stop errors or find your computer rebooting itself randomly?

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:10:27 pm »

Do you experience unusual instability in other applications or games, especially high-performance ones?

Not exactly.  When loading League of Legends, I often get an "Unable to connect" message, and then pressing "Retry" often works.
Related to that game, my GPU attempted to outprocess itself, and nearly crashed my computer.

Stop Errors, yes.  As far as I've noticed, only one random reboot.  I can attribute the rest of them to updates.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »

I've made changes to the RAWs, but the files have all been copied from my last computer, which never did this.

I believe this is the cause. My hypothesis is that a modded creature is a tad wonky. This could be from FD but I doubt it. Did you download the latest version of FD when you reinstalled it? And what was the DF version on your last computer?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:30:08 pm »

Not exactly.  When loading League of Legends, I often get an "Unable to connect" message, and then pressing "Retry" often works.
Related to that game, my GPU attempted to outprocess itself, and nearly crashed my computer.

Stop Errors, yes.  As far as I've noticed, only one random reboot.  I can attribute the rest of them to updates.
If you are getting stop errors, either your OS is seriously corrupt (unlikely) or you have a hardware problem (pretty likely). No amount of bad DF modding will make your computer throw stop errors.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 03:48:31 pm »

Never had a single crash in 31.25.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 04:07:02 pm »

I believe this is the cause. My hypothesis is that a modded creature is a tad wonky. This could be from FD but I doubt it. Did you download the latest version of FD when you reinstalled it? And what was the DF version on your last computer?

I've had the /exact/ files working on my last computer (XP Media Center).  All of the files have literally been copied and they were working fine before.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 04:08:06 pm »

If you are getting stop errors, either your OS is seriously corrupt (unlikely) or you have a hardware problem (pretty likely). No amount of bad DF modding will make your computer throw stop errors.

I highly doubt that.  This computer is 6 days old.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 04:12:27 pm »

In that case, it is almost certainly a hardware problem. Electronics are not like cars; they're most likely to fail when new. Take it back to where you bought it and tell them you're getting stop errors. They'll fix it.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 04:22:06 pm »

In that case, it is almost certainly a hardware problem. Electronics are not like cars; they're most likely to fail when new. Take it back to where you bought it and tell them you're getting stop errors. They'll fix it.

See, but I really don't feel like it's a stop error.  Mainly because this issue is exclusive to DF.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 04:23:43 pm »

As for fixing it, I've already toyed with it, and have enough know-how to do that kind of thing myself.

1: Warranty is void because I've opened the case and replaced the RAM
2: I can fix any hardware problem myself

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 04:36:20 pm »

1. Do the BSODs happen in any other application?
2. If it's just DF, can you post a crash log?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: [1] 2