Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unknown Crashes -- Please Suggest  (Read 2259 times)

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Crashes -- Please Suggest
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 04:54:23 pm »

Do you experience unusual instability in other applications or games, especially high-performance ones?

Not exactly.  When loading League of Legends, I often get an "Unable to connect" message, and then pressing "Retry" often works.
Related to that game, my GPU attempted to outprocess itself, and nearly crashed my computer.

Do you get stop errors or find your computer rebooting itself randomly?

Stop Errors, yes.  As far as I've noticed, only one random reboot.  I can attribute the rest of them to updates.
If you are getting stop errors, either your OS is seriously corrupt (unlikely) or you have a hardware problem (pretty likely). No amount of bad DF modding will make your computer throw stop errors.

I highly doubt that.  This computer is 6 days old.
In that case, it is almost certainly a hardware problem. Electronics are not like cars; they're most likely to fail when new. Take it back to where you bought it and tell them you're getting stop errors. They'll fix it.

See, but I really don't feel like it's a stop error.  Mainly because this issue is exclusive to DF.
Whaaa?

Either your screen goes into text mode with a big scary message at the top saying "STOP" followed by a bunch of hexadecimal gobbeldygook and system file listings, or it does not. Stop errors are not subjective or open to interpretation.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 05:18:52 pm »

If you are experiencing BSOD on Windows Seven, there is 98% of chance it is a hardware problem.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 06:01:38 pm »

Do you experience unusual instability in other applications or games, especially high-performance ones?

Not exactly.  When loading League of Legends, I often get an "Unable to connect" message, and then pressing "Retry" often works.
Related to that game, my GPU attempted to outprocess itself, and nearly crashed my computer.

Do you get stop errors or find your computer rebooting itself randomly?

Stop Errors, yes.  As far as I've noticed, only one random reboot.  I can attribute the rest of them to updates.
If you are getting stop errors, either your OS is seriously corrupt (unlikely) or you have a hardware problem (pretty likely). No amount of bad DF modding will make your computer throw stop errors.

I highly doubt that.  This computer is 6 days old.
In that case, it is almost certainly a hardware problem. Electronics are not like cars; they're most likely to fail when new. Take it back to where you bought it and tell them you're getting stop errors. They'll fix it.

See, but I really don't feel like it's a stop error.  Mainly because this issue is exclusive to DF.
Whaaa?

Either your screen goes into text mode with a big scary message at the top saying "STOP" followed by a bunch of hexadecimal gobbeldygook and system file listings, or it does not. Stop errors are not subjective or open to interpretation.

Oh, no, not that shit.

That was a pain in the ass on my last computer for a while.  I thought you meant standard program failure.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 06:04:51 pm »

1. Do the BSODs happen in any other application?
2. If it's just DF, can you post a crash log?

You mentioned logs.  I never thought that DF had an errorlog.  I found the issue (I think) will play a bit and test.

I did some editing on fish, and I think I must have been sleep deprived.  This should explain itself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 06:07:53 pm »

I changed a large number of fish to
[ANY_BRACKISHWATER]
and
[ANY_FRESHWATER]

completely forgetting that FRESHWATER and BRACKISHWATER are secondary tags to RIVER/LAKE/POOL

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 06:15:24 pm »

Testing how it runs.  Give me an hour or two.  I fixed the tags up.
Pages: 1 [2]