Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whiskey Planet  (Read 1236 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Whiskey Planet
« on: July 14, 2011, 01:39:28 pm »

Not much to say about this one yet but the project caught my eye (via Indie Games blog).
They're currently trying to get funding for their servers, artists, etc.

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/2014-whiskey-planet-online-game
Current dev video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfvPhYzSbIM

Whiskey Planet is a brutally realistic, gritty and heavily-stylized post-apocolyptic survival sim game. The world is based on 5 factions vying for position in a turf war over small towns in Northern England. Players assume the role of a single survivor and must struggle against both the world itself and the other players to survive. This is a realistic simulation though, we dare you to make it more than 2 weeks without getting chewed up and spat out! Honestly, this game is 1/2 fun, 1/2 true simulation, so while it is VERY accessible to everyone, it is NOT an easy game to win... in fact it might be impossible.

Players create their own story by hunting for food/shelter and either fighting or befriending (and strategizing with) other players. The world is a harsh place after it has ended, so you will need to be smart in order to keep your health high enough to stay alive.

So you've played a survival sim, you are a master of collecting supplies to stay fed? Then join in on the larger strategy game. Whiskey Planet is made up of a number of towns that 5 different factions are fighting for rule over. Your actions gain you 'clout' and you can excercise that clout in order to claim parts of the map in the name of your faction. What are the different factions? Read on...

Sounds cool to me
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:51:12 pm by Tilla »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskey Planet
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:21 pm »

Depends. Is this a text based webgame a la Die2Night or a full on game?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:50:35 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfvPhYzSbIM

Web-based game but realtime based, so similar to die2nite

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:52:33 pm »

Whiskey Planet is a brutally realistic, gritty and heavily-stylized post-apocolyptic survival sim game. The world is based on 5 factions vying for position in a turf war over small towns in Northern England. Players assume the role of a single survivor and must struggle against both the world itself and the other players to survive. This is a realistic simulation though, we dare you to make it more than 2 weeks without getting chewed up and spat out! Honestly, this game is 1/2 fun, 1/2 true simulation, so while it is VERY accessible to everyone, it is NOT an easy game to win... in fact it might be impossible.

Players create their own story by hunting for food/shelter and either fighting or befriending (and strategizing with) other players. The world is a harsh place after it has ended, so you will need to be smart in order to keep your health high enough to stay alive.

So you've played a survival sim, you are a master of collecting supplies to stay fed? Then join in on the larger strategy game. Whiskey Planet is made up of a number of towns that 5 different factions are fighting for rule over. Your actions gain you 'clout' and you can excercise that clout in order to claim parts of the map in the name of your faction. What are the different factions? Read on...

Im perpetuallz amayed bz how often we fall for this.

Its cool stuff sure, but as alwazs expectations on features dreamed up bz fantasies are gonna cause high amounts of bullshit in both requests for features and bitching on how terrible the game is a month after release.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:55:20 pm »

How much do you want to bet that when the game comes out Shadows outnumber the rest of the factions 2:1 because they're dark and mysterious and only come out at night?

It's always the same with online games.

I for one think Horde Punks sound the coolest.

EDIT:  Oh wait, I just realized what kind of game this is.  Nevermind :c
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:59:36 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:57:38 pm »

Not interested. Did not like Die2Night, kinda want this done in a real game.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 02:02:14 pm »

Not interested. Did not like Die2Night, kinda want this done in a real game.

Ditto x2 Combo
(That's me, and a friend, both agreeing with you)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 02:36:19 pm »

I thought this was going to be a game about a planet with whiskey instead of water.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:49:11 pm »

Its cool stuff sure, but as alwazs expectations on features dreamed up bz fantasies are gonna cause high amounts of bullshit in both requests for features and bitching on how terrible the game is a month after release.

Somebody has a German keyboard...
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »

Considering they're halfway through their scheduled fundraising drive in days and still at the beginning funds-wise, I'm not holding my breath.
Sounds like a neat project though, if it didn't look like it was DOA and if I wasn't looking forward to a long future of indebting myself to the state to pay for my apartment while I study, I might actually donate.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 03:38:35 pm »

Somebody has a German keyboard...

lol I was gonna call it too...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 03:46:34 pm »

lol I was gonna call it too...
Haha yeah me too. I could be interested in this, I'm keeping an eye on it!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.