Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: above ground fortress  (Read 15699 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: above ground fortress
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 03:12:00 am »

Sorry, I'm quite a newb, but the beard part (labeled as farms) is confusing me... how can you farm on constructed areas?
irrigation.  splashing water onto a tile leaves "a pile of mud" or a "dusting of mud" etc.  you can then mark a farm plot on the muddy tiles, and fungus will also grow on it, providing you have breached the caverns.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 11:05:26 am »

im doing a fort similar to an above ground fort, but with some exeptions in he design. the bit of ground its above may just be in the ocean floor
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 02:02:32 pm »

Sorry, I'm quite a newb, but the beard part (labeled as farms) is confusing me... how can you farm on constructed areas?
irrigation.  splashing water onto a tile leaves "a pile of mud" or a "dusting of mud" etc.  you can then mark a farm plot on the muddy tiles, and fungus will also grow on it, providing you have breached the caverns.

Ah! I knew about irrigation (when I started playing it was the only way to farm underground), but didn't know it worked on constructed floors.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 07:06:24 pm »

Sounds like a good way to make a floating greenhouse for my dorfs.

On the note of workshops, I thought it was confirmed (damn you wiki and your "valid citations") that workshops didn't make sound only constructions and mining did?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 08:15:48 pm »

Ah! I knew about irrigation (when I started playing it was the only way to farm underground), but didn't know it worked on constructed floors.
i kind of wish it didnt.  i get trees growing in my drains because of it.  at least my lumberjacks are starting to learn how to swim.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 09:36:50 pm »

To Bomepie:

Is that the likeness of somedwarf that just killed a noble mean person and is celebrating? "I've got your slade right here!"
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 02:32:03 am »

I think I heard that paved roads stop things from growing but I'm probably mistaken.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 02:56:05 am »

You are correct rutsber, I often pave my waterways to prevent plant growth.

mrchace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 03:36:35 pm »

ok. i've finally embarked. i found a good embark location on a mountain of obsidian... obsidian and silver castle with a gold walkway is gunna be super cool.

sealed off the mt at this point and have constructed living qrtrs for my poor overworked dwarfs. i have 5 miners. i need a few more. it's summer of the first year now. simple plans and layouts have been made for two checkpoints and the main entrance to the fort.

i decided i want my castle partway above ground and part way under with a crazy bridge system connecting land and tunnels to the different floors of the castle. what is the safest way of creating a "pitted" castle? i may need to elaborate on this question. its gunna be 3 Z levels above ground and 10 under.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 06:53:29 pm »

ok. i've finally embarked. i found a good embark location on a mountain of obsidian... obsidian and silver castle with a gold walkway is gunna be super cool.

sealed off the mt at this point and have constructed living qrtrs for my poor overworked dwarfs. i have 5 miners. i need a few more. it's summer of the first year now. simple plans and layouts have been made for two checkpoints and the main entrance to the fort.

i decided i want my castle partway above ground and part way under with a crazy bridge system connecting land and tunnels to the different floors of the castle. what is the safest way of creating a "pitted" castle? i may need to elaborate on this question. its gunna be 3 Z levels above ground and 10 under.
pitted? as in you plan on moats?  i'm not really understanding the question, but 10z deep and 3z up sounds like combining my keep and main fort =D

are you using ramps instead of stairs or something?

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 07:28:26 pm »

>You could also build the stairway OUTSIDE the building (adjacent to the outer wall), then deconstruct the stairs when you're done. 

or just make above-ground roof access a part of the design. i make a roof burrow which is usually disabled, including the stairs, to train marksmen on buzzards and geeze and stuff like that without having to have a fortifications or an entrance yet.

come to think of it i've gone for years without an entrance, removing walls as needed.

another thing.. just forget about ever building fortifications. they cause nothing but trouble since you cant build on top of them. use carved fortifications only and your designs will go up a lot quicker.

xooo
oo..
o...
o...

pulling in the corners when you make elevated edges ...  like in the above also works well for me. you can have the roof access where the 'x' is above

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 10:27:42 pm »

It actually doesn't. However, engraved floors still grow trees.

Also, obsidian formed by combining magma and water can also be used to grow crops if dampened.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

mrchace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 12:08:56 am »

Ok, this is kinda a crude drawing but I think it might shed some light on my question. I kinda made it look like a dwarf engraved it... a little too much time on my hands.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

See the main fortress is above ground about 3 Z-levels and underground about 10 Z-levels with a 3-Z level throne room. The underground area should register as Outside, Light if I channel essentialially a giant 10 Z-level deep moat Around the Castle and continue to carve the castle and noble rooms out of the remaining hunk of carved out mountain, smoothing and engraving the obsidian as I go. I'll use bridges to allow travel between the fortress over the gap and into tunnels that'll lead to the surface. There will be a grand staircase system connecting all noble floors underground. You guys know what I mean by pitted now? Like imagine a 13 Z-level high castle carved out of a mountain that experiences a 10 Z-level cave in underneath it and somehow manages to remain completely intact.

All living quarters for Peon Dwarfs will remain on the upper 3 floors above ground, as well as all workshops.

All noble rooms will at some point be carved out to include glass/gem windows. Maybe I'll make it to waterfalls fall off the side of the fortress or something amazingly awesome like that. This'll make it a lot more like a Bastion/Stronghold.

Edit: Oh, the whole underground part of the fortress includes tunnels that link key intersections and again more cutoff points (hopefully to spare some dumb nobles who haven't fallen back to the throne room if an invasion gets that far), all the underground noble rooms are part of the Labyrinth as well... a 7 Z level deep Labyrinth should be really interesting. Also I am STRONGLY considering using DFHack to hack happiness of my Drawfs as I will be incredibly dissapointed to lose this fortress at some point to self destruction.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:15:09 am by mrchace »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 08:33:07 pm »

i went ahead and took screenshots, despite you having plans allready.... but i did promise screens.

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii132/rakninja/DF/

far to many to post here.  this is my fortress 15 years after embark.  might help you plan, but considering how ineffeciant my fort is, i doubt it =D

mrchace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 01:27:33 am »

Wow. Lotsa fun. I just lost the fortress.

So im building my gorgeous Obsidian 3 Story Apartment duplex while my lvl 5 (pretty much rounded over all combat skills) 5 - Dwarf squad is off dealing with the pesky fox population, after already making a Two Story Barracks, A wall surrounding the fort incorperating the mountain (!!And a Dwarf-Made Waterfall!!) with a 4 tile wide bridge (dont ask why I decided 4 tiles this time) that had a channel pre-dug for it (which would later expand into the moat). I see the message:

A Vile force of Darkness has Arrived

16 centaurs have just appeared in the top left corner of the screen (3 to 4 Sec away from entrance). I scoff at them. My Giant War Lions and 5 Man Squad should deal death to these filthy creatures, but I figure... "Shoot, why not hold them off for a minute and at least get some metal on my dwarfs" Time to pull the lever.

I can hear my Dwarfs now...

"Run Urist RUN!"

Urist McSprinty made it to the lever in time to raise the bridge effectively sealing of the Centaurs... but wait, how is my military dead... wait, whats that you say? Centaur Sponsored Brush Fire? Service with a smile huh?

Owned btw. Fire wipes out an entire above ground fortress in record speed. Centaurs and all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4