Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: above ground fortress  (Read 15696 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: above ground fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 06:20:55 am »

Protip for topside constructions - clay provides infinite building stone.
but a clay fort isnt as dwarfy as a hulking box of obsidian.
No problem, just cast obsidian over the clay mold once you have a chance to.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 10:12:32 am »

Since in the version I am using I cannot remove the economic status of obsidian(in fact obsidian does not show up even on the stone menu) i just use a utility to make a large multi level of obsidian  on the surface, and excavate it at my leisure,
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 10:39:59 am »

Since in the version I am using I cannot remove the economic status of obsidian(in fact obsidian does not show up even on the stone menu) i just use a utility to make a large multi level of obsidian  on the surface, and excavate it at my leisure,
this bug is not an issue if you have obsidian naturally.  oh well.

how about a shining silver castle?  mine is mainly copper (on the second floor, severely underestimated how much it was going to take, and i was impatient).

you could always carve the castle out of the rock.... prolly a little faster than constructing it all.

or, best, using a mixture of carving and construction, make a fortress out of the mountain, with outer walls that double as an obsidian factory, and a lava moat.  make sure to build it from the highest point on your map!
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 10:53:05 am »

For building roofing I tend to just place a ramp in a spot where I'll want a wall, build the rest of the wall (so they have something to stand on), construct the roof, disassemble the ramp, and use that building material to complete the wall. I remember in older versions I have an abnormally easy time of building things like castles made of obsidian with golden or platinum bed chambers.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 03:49:21 pm »

Yesterday I managed to completely deforest the entire heavily-forested starting location just in building five two-storey wooden buildings. I thought it would be neat to have each person's accommodation above their work-place. This isn't the best idea, as work-shop noise keeps Dwarfs awake.

I kept building vertically with each migrant wave, so eventually I had a huge shanty town with bridges spanning different levels (a bit like Megaton in Fallout 3).

What killed it all in the end was greed: because I'd deforested the map, and new trees were spawning too slow for my needs, and I was determined at first to only use wood, I dug down to the underground caves and started harvesting the underground trees. Then a Forgotten Beast came and killed 35 of my dwarfs, and another dozen or so killed each other in lawless abandon.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 04:01:13 pm »

Notquitethere, if the dwarf is asleep, his own workshop will not make any noise. Maybe his spouse might complain if he works while she tries to sleep...

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 05:12:31 pm »

Well that much is true, but the trouble was that there was a terrace of workshops, so the carpenter would be disturbed by the mechanic churning out mechanisms in the wee hours. It would have been okay if I had completely detached buildings, but then I'd definitely have no wood left.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 05:55:47 pm »

I like the sound of this mod and shall try it after my current fortress.
The utility DFusion has a feature allowing that, but there's no non-cheating way.

I've also got two ideas that may be fun:
1]After the first or second choke point you could have a 3-wide hallway with chains placed near the walls and designated for jail. This way if, heaven forbid, the FB manages to get passed your front lines it'll waste time on your convicts and give what's left of your military time to regroup.
2]Alternately you could build a "police station" where the leader of your Fortress Guard and his squad of "police" watch over the prisoners in their cells. You could even make it to where it doubles as a shelter and "locks down" in case of prison break or monster rampage. It should probably be more than one level, or it'll take up mountains of space.

This isn't the best idea, as work-shop noise keeps Dwarfs awake.
Didn't toady say that workshops cause no noise?
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 06:01:06 pm »

Didn't toady say that workshops cause no noise?

*Checks*

You're right! It must have been the constant construction keeping the dwarves awake. With this in mind, feel free to build workshop/bedroom combos to your heart's content.

mrchace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 10:34:43 pm »

Really cool guys, the ideas are really helping this come together and expand my mind a little on the possibilities of the game itself. I havent started yet, i am still running through rough drafts on paper right now. Deciding how possible this really is without any cheats. I'm imagining a lot of problems keeping my fort alive through random invasions while also finding a perfect embark site each time I have to restart (if I can even stomach restarting). With cheats this is a fairly simple task where most if not all pitfalls can be avoided where as the straight and clean path will most likely lead me to hours of intense frustration and optical blood loss. I am also shying away from using clay as it can be considered an unfair advantage.

Is it possible to seal myself off from the edges of the map relatively easily? I can handle making the fortress self reliant and build the architecture, but doing this while building a military is going to severely limit my *Edit* Lava Magma DWARFpower which I can easily see leading to the end of the universe as we know it.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:21:10 pm by mrchace »

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 10:48:53 pm »

My above ground fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With planning labels:
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »

Really cool guys, the ideas are really helping this come together and expand my mind a little on the possibilities of the game itself. I havent started yet, i am still running through rough drafts on paper right now. Deciding how possible this really is without any cheats. I'm imagining a lot of problems keeping my fort alive through random invasions while also finding a perfect embark site each time I have to restart (if I can even stomach restarting). With cheats this is a fairly simple task where most if not all pitfalls can be avoided where as the straight and clean path will most likely lead me to hours of intense frustration and optical blood loss. I am also shying away from using clay as it can be considered an unfair advantage.

Is it possible to seal myself off from the edges of the map relatively easily? I can handle making the fortress self reliant and build the architecture, but doing this while building a military is going to severely limit my manpower which I can easily see leading to the end of the universe as we know it.

building aboveground is not really very dangerous, so long as walls are your first priority.  for example, you can remove all of the "ramp" tiles on one side of a hill/mountain, and wall off the other, so all the z levels of that entire hill are under control your dwarves, and inaccessible to all but fliers and marksgoblins.  so long as you do not start out in an area where flying things are a problem, you'll be unassailable.  to speed things up, you can build your workshops outside, quarry out a little room for beds and storage, and get to work on initial fortifications (with drawbridge, usually up, to allow for migrants and caravans).  that done, encase your workshops in buildings, and build "proper" housing and storage areas.then start sculpting the mountain into a fortress

i didnt go exclusively topside on my current fortress, but i have substantial surface construction.  one surface area is immune to all but fliers, being enclosed in a wall with no openings.  the other surface construction is even more of a deathtrap to invaders than my "primary and underground" fortress entrance.  i have siege engines watching the passes, and marksdwarves in the tower, plus my most experienced soldiers are quartered in the tower (to better respond to my cavern problems, the tower straddles my mineshaft to the magma sea) and for when an ambush sneaks up on me when i have the bridge over the moat down for some reason.

oh, if you dont like clay, use glass blocks.  they cost a resource to make.  that plus the presence of sand may mean you have a soil layer or two to scrape off before you can carve a hill into a castle.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

mrchace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 11:43:39 pm »

Is it possible to seal myself off from the edges of the map relatively easily? I can handle making the fortress self reliant and build the architecture, but doing this while building a military is going to severely limit my manpower which I can easily see leading to the end of the universe as we know it.

building aboveground is not really very dangerous, so long as walls are your first priority.  for example, you can remove all of the "ramp" tiles on one side of a hill/mountain, and wall off the other, so all the z levels of that entire hill are under control your dwarves, and inaccessible to all but fliers and marksgoblins.  so long as you do not start out in an area where flying things are a problem, you'll be unassailable.  to speed things up, you can build your workshops outside, quarry out a little room for beds and storage, and get to work on initial fortifications (with drawbridge, usually up, to allow for migrants and caravans).  that done, encase your workshops in buildings, and build "proper" housing and storage areas.then start sculpting the mountain into a fortress

i didnt go exclusively topside on my current fortress, but i have substantial surface construction.  one surface area is immune to all but fliers, being enclosed in a wall with no openings.  the other surface construction is even more of a deathtrap to invaders than my "primary and underground" fortress entrance.  i have siege engines watching the passes, and marksdwarves in the tower, plus my most experienced soldiers are quartered in the tower (to better respond to my cavern problems, the tower straddles my mineshaft to the magma sea) and for when an ambush sneaks up on me when i have the bridge over the moat down for some reason.

oh, if you dont like clay, use glass blocks.  they cost a resource to make.  that plus the presence of sand may mean you have a soil layer or two to scrape off before you can carve a hill into a castle.

Architectural challenge is exactly what i'm aiming for with this task and I am digging the ideas man. thanks a lot.

I wonder, does anyone else have interest in this? Would someone or a group of people be willing to take on this challenge with me and with an allowance tweaks to the overall challenge theme based on player preference?

I'd say something like...

Im open to anything. Keep it comin.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:46:07 pm by mrchace »

mrchace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 11:47:24 pm »

My above ground fort:

With planning labels:

AMAZING
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:51:57 pm by mrchace »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 01:44:09 am »

My above ground fort:

With planning labels:

Sorry, I'm quite a newb, but the beard part (labeled as farms) is confusing me... how can you farm on constructed areas?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4