Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: above ground fortress  (Read 15693 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: above ground fortress
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 01:39:52 am »

Above ground forts *need* roofing. I found that out the hard way... Too bad roofing costs *a lot* (or more). No chance of doing it out of wood, lots of stone is the best (especially if you've got obsidian) but again, if you've got no expendable stone, I think it's clay to the rescue. Build two dozen kilns and have all idlers become emergency potters.

Clay - Armok's mixed blessing to the surface-dwelling dwarves.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 03:30:20 am »

Wow. Lotsa fun. I just lost the fortress.

dawww, what a shame.

oh well, perhaps your luck will be better next time.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

mrchace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »

Imma go find it in Adventure Mode. I'll give this a few more attempts. Each will be different as Im taking notes of each fort i lose and am saving them for Self Rembark challenges. I'll figure something out.

I'll keep my progress posted if I make any.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 07:45:31 pm »

I LOVE trying to make successful surface forts! After all, my name IS Urist McHuman. I try to make my dwarves live like them. I usually take an extra stone to make a kiln, dig a clay pit (9x9 channeled square, going down to 7x7 and then 5x5) and set Collect Clay on repeat. Gathered clay is basically just stone, in that it can be gathered infinitely, whereas actual stone is a limited resource, though it's gonna be a bloody long time before you run out of useable stone. And then I make the houses out of the raw clay, as making bricks requires fuel.

Gather as much plants as you can and chop down all the trees on the surface of your map before the elves arrive and make a deal about cutting down trees. Build above-ground farms using the plants you gathered. I save the rope reeds and Longland grass from brewing and use the grass to mill to flour to cook biscuits and spin the rope reeds to make cloth.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2011, 02:06:37 pm »

Since in the version I am using I cannot remove the economic status of obsidian(in fact obsidian does not show up even on the stone menu) i just use a utility to make a large multi level of obsidian  on the surface, and excavate it at my leisure,

If you look at the thread in the Mantis bug tracker:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=73

They say that there's a pretty easy workaround: Go into the materals raw file, and remove the MAX_EDGE field under obsidian, and it'll show up in the economic stones menu. You won't be able to make swords with it, but you'll be able to build constructions out of it. I haven't tried it myself.

I actually researched this just recently since I plan on starting a new megaproject soon, where I build a completely above-ground fort to house my population, then construct a giant cast obsidian obelisk that extends above and below ground quite a ways. The plan, if I ever get that far, would be eventually relocate my entire operation inside the obelisk, then deconstruct/demolish the entire outside settlement, get rid of all the rubble, and let nature take the area back over so that you can't tell there was ever anything there other than the obelisk. We'll see if I can stick with it that long.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]