Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When did this feature disapear?  (Read 2750 times)

The Button

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When did this feature disapear?
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:47:58 am »

I remember that when adventuring you used to be able to smack innocents with hammers and whatnot in order to send them flying into a wall where they would then explode into a bunch of little pieces.  Even though my adventurer has superhuman strength it dosn't seem like anyone is being flung anywhere.  I WANT MY FLYING PEASANTS BACK!

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did this feature disapear?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:55:25 am »

It's not gone, but I believe it was corrected in regards to size of creatures to make it a bit less nonsensical. I've seen some very large creatures still manage to send creatures much smaller flying. It was almost cartoonish in its regularity at one point though.

professorhelios

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:59:25 am »

Time to edit some RAWS? ...or has it now been hard coded. I am a late comer to the party, so I haven't seen the flying exploding circus that other people have described. I'm sure it's highly amusing though.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:00:07 pm »

Make BCs playable. That should get you your intended effect  8)
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:12:26 pm »

Actually, in the arena, a BC Adequate hammerman could send neither a human nor a cat flying a single space with an iron hammer. Even a grand master BC with a platinum mace only sent a cavy flying three tiles! Best start a fort and hope for a lucky mood...
(P.S. Said macecolossus could not fling a human back with the mace. After unsuccessfully trying to wrestling-throw him for a few minutes, I just bashed his brains out. Very therapeutic.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:38:31 pm »

Actually, in the arena, a BC Adequate hammerman could send neither a human nor a cat flying a single space with an iron hammer. Even a grand master BC with a platinum mace only sent a cavy flying three tiles! Best start a fort and hope for a lucky mood...
(P.S. Said macecolossus could not fling a human back with the mace. After unsuccessfully trying to wrestling-throw him for a few minutes, I just bashed his brains out. Very therapeutic.)
He's not talking about being a BC hammerman, he's talking about punching and kicking as a BC.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 02:23:06 pm »

Huh, you'd think that that would work better with a mace in fist. Objection withdrawn.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 06:50:59 am »

Huh, you'd think that that would work better with a mace in fist. Objection withdrawn.

you have to make a new mace, to be BC sized.  using the default, you are using a human/dwarf sized hammer or mace.

scale up a silver war hammer.  if you poke around, you'll see this subject was recently brought up on another board here, perhaps gameplay questions, i forget.  knocking objects around involves several factors, but the most effect seems to come from something very big hitting something very small.

oh, and the gibbing is retained as well.  forgotten beasts regularly toss my dwarves into walls, exploding them.  in fortress mode.  i think a titan might have splattered one of my last adventurer's peasant woman army, but i forget, as my fortress in the same world has lasted a lot longer than expected.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:53:47 am »

A maul would work better than a mace
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:59:02 am »

No, a maul would still be insufficient. I mean, bronze colossi are HUGE. They're holding the mace/maul between thumb and forefinger and daintily rocking it back and forth. A punch, on the other hand, uses the entire (massive) surface area of their fist.

Basically: in order to launch things, there needs to be either a huge size differential or an absolutely ridiculous (unattainable save through modding) force behind the attack.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 11:44:51 am »

No, a maul would still be insufficient. I mean, bronze colossi are HUGE. They're holding the mace/maul between thumb and forefinger and daintily rocking it back and forth. A punch, on the other hand, uses the entire (massive) surface area of their fist.

Basically: in order to launch things, there needs to be either a huge size differential or an absolutely ridiculous (unattainable save through modding) force behind the attack.
!!science!! has shown that more strength =/= more knockback.  it affects it a bit, but size is really the determining factor.  a BC sized maul would likely work better than a BC sized hammer.  either normal weapon would be akin to the Minotaur beating someone with a sock.

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 01:57:45 pm »

What would determine this theoretical BC hammer's effect in terms of knockback? Is it really just the size overall or does it also involve the area that gets hit in the actual stats for the weapon's attacks?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 06:42:36 pm »

What would determine this theoretical BC hammer's effect in terms of knockback? Is it really just the size overall or does it also involve the area that gets hit in the actual stats for the weapon's attacks?

here is the thread of !!SCIENCE!! -

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77912.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 08:21:24 pm »

Also do attributes increase?

I havn't noticed any of my attributes increasing by a single point lately.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 11:33:04 pm »

Also do attributes increase?

I havn't noticed any of my attributes increasing by a single point lately.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Attributes

here is the relevant information.
Pages: [1] 2