Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41

Author Topic: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game  (Read 96856 times)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game
« Reply #555 on: December 28, 2011, 08:47:54 pm »

Okay, sorry for the delay! Here we go!

27th Slate: Well, here I am.

Can't say I'm really looking forward to this, but what can you do? Gotta get cheese on the table somehow. Might as well be by ordering a goat farm built. I can't help but wonder about this pace though. What's with all these walls? Why are there all these hatches strewn about the place? What's with that ghost in the trap-hallway?

Anyway, best get to work. Things are kind of wierd inside too. Like this dining room. Why's it all muddy?

Why does this graveyard have a moat?

What's up with all these hatch covers? And what's that big space above all the bedrooms?

Finally, what's that dwarf doi... WAH!

After tackling the dwarf away from the support, I immediately ordered all work to stop. What's going on here, some previous overseer decide to take down the fortress with him or something? Guess it's time to take a closer look around...

Good thing I did, too. I've ordered these dwarves set free, along with some animals I found trapped under a drawbridge. I've asked some of the lads to tell me if they see anything odd. They seem nice enough, if a bit crazed. On reflection, given what I've seen so far, maybe there isn't much they'd consider odd. For now, I've ordered a new office dug out for myself on the top floor. Hopefully away from any traps or anything.

28th Slate: I've got myself a bit more familiar with the layout of this place.

A few floors below the surface, we have the muddy dining room, bedrooms, and a few miscellaneous living rooms.

A few floors above that we have the furnaces, and for some reason a group of coffins. I'm not sure whether it disturbs be more that there are so many coffins just lying around, or that most of them are full.

On ground level we have a farm, and a huge room for storing... stuff. All kinds of things.

I've been warned about an aquifer, but I can't seem to find it. We've got a nice shaft of magma, though it seems a little low, fortunately, and some kind of faucet hanging over the walls on the entrance. I'm tempted to start it up, just to see what happens, but there are so many levers lying about and no labels of any kind. Apparently the previous overseers had this kind of escalating prank war going on, which explains a lot. I'm planning to spend my entire life locked in my bunker, with an adequate food supply.

Seriously, why is there a moat around the graveyard?

Anyway, I might not manage another update before the weekend due to continued computer trouble. But then again, I might get one off by Friday.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 29, 2011, 01:28:47 pm »

oh don't worry about the moat.  That's just the drain of death.  We've lost a good 50 dwarves to it so far but it's not nearly as much of a problem anymore as it used to be.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 29, 2011, 09:27:35 pm »

But it doesn't drain to anywhere... It's an empty, 1 z-level deep moat. On another note, whoever turned off all the labors, I hate you.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 29, 2011, 11:50:08 pm »

But it doesn't drain to anywhere... It's an empty, 1 z-level deep moat. On another note, whoever turned off all the labors, I hate you.
Dwarf therapist?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 30, 2011, 08:15:47 pm »

Ah sorry guys. I just was in the middle of a "I dont want to jack shit" phase. Sorry for not doing this :/
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 30, 2011, 09:21:56 pm »

just took a quick look around the most recent save.... i'll be very impressed if it manages to survive the next seige.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 31, 2011, 07:28:48 am »

Ah sorry guys. I just was in the middle of a "I dont want to jack shit" phase. Sorry for not doing this :/
Why don't you take the turn after twizby? Unless anyone had a problem with it of course.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 31, 2011, 01:48:00 pm »

Why don't you take the turn after twizby? Unless anyone had a problem with it of course.
Nah im still in this phase lol. Ill proboly start playing DF after the next release maby. I honastly dont know lol.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 01, 2012, 09:21:56 pm »

So the last guy noticed that a 3rd of our fortress population was trapped underground and starving to death.  And he left them in there for the next guy to find.  Now THAT's what i call dwarfy XD
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 03, 2012, 12:18:42 pm »

Dwarf therapist?

What is this strange magic of which you speak?

Anyway, sorry for the delay as usual. Things are kind of moving along, if by 'moving along' you mean it hasn't all collapsed on itself yet.

30th Slate: Things are going rather badly. I've found job orders for huge, useless projects, like roofing over the pointless walled-in area outside,

or releasing most of the zoo.

That zoo is nothing but a liability. Once everything else is taken care of, I'm having the whole thing paved with traps.

3rd Felsite: As if what was already happening wasn't enough, now there's a flood in the muddy dining room.

And three of our four miners are trapped behind walls searching for rats while the fourth is looking for a drink. At least someone seems to have put a drain in the dining room. Honestly, what kind of sick joke is this? Dwarves are dying here. Fortunately nothing seems to be threatening the place I'm trying to hollow out for myself.
At least there's a bit of good news.

A dwarf who'd been wandering around, muttering to himself, started working on some kind of slate construction. We'll see what comes of this.

7th Felsite: The artifact is complete!

Whee. Fun. Now back to work. We've freed one of the miners, and once he gets some food in him, he'll probably be a good help in releasing the others. All in all, there is simply too much stuff lying around. I've considered abandoning the bottom portion of the fortress and trying to rebuild higher up, but though this has the upside of removing all clutter and potential traps, it has the non-negligeable downside of getting rid of all our furnature.

I'm converting the area above the living quarters into a graveyard. I intend to make it unaccessable by normal means, to prevent any accidents with that idiotic support.f

11th Felsit: Finally got all the trapped dwarves free.

I don't know how they stayed sane in there. Water on one side, just out of reach, magma on the other, burning your face off. Full of filth, blood, vomit... I'm not letting anyone clean in there, except to get the corpses out. It's not worth the effort.
Miraculously, there were only two casualties. Unfortunately, one of them was our best miner.

He made it out of the room, which was a small mercy I guess, but he starved to death on the way back to the surface. If I were thinking I guess I would have set up a food stockpile or something for them down there. Oh well. To late for anything but regrets.

I asked about that room the miner died next to, and apparently we have a collection of monsters stuck in boxes, just kind of, strewn around the place.

What is WITH this fortress?

Don't worry, despite my character's reluctance I'm still going to leave a trap. I will also almost certainly not make the fortress significantly safer.

Does anyone remember who set up that big faucet thing outside? Was it supposed to flood that big walled in structure or something?

I'm finally done with holiday stuff, so I hope I really do only take a couple days before my next update this time. If no one has yet, we really should send a note to CrazyCow.
Live bait.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 06, 2012, 12:15:48 pm »

Here we go

14th Felsite: Ah, finally, some news besides dead dwarves and flooded dining rooms.

They do seem a little angry though... I wonder why?

16th Felsite: Hoo boy...

Well, at least we don't seem to have any actual entrances into our fortress. Sorry elves.

17th Felsite: Gah, everything's falling apart. It turns out there is an entrance, though it's so stacked up with bones and other filth that I'm surprised anything could make it through. And then there's the huge hole in the stockpile area I somehow failed to notice.
I've tried to wall off the stockpile and set up some doors in front of the other. We'll see if that works.

18th Felsite: Our millitary has been brought in, and is doing well.

Thankfully, the tigermen are focusing their efforts on only one of the entrances, so there might be enough time to close both off in time.

20th Felsite: We lost a peasant and one soldier, but we managed to block off the tigermen.

Now the only path open to them is the trap hallway, which is more than long enough to wipe them all out. So I suppose the next thing to do is to fix up the fortress defenses...

Okay, that was a good one. Can't believe I missed that. Surprisingly few casualties, though. I guess tigermen are worse fighters than I gave them credit for. Also, for some reason, they are completely ignoring the elves.
Live bait.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 06, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »

Hehe, and now the true purpose of the walls has been revealed - a false sense of security trap, hmm, I think we were only meant to leave one trap but shucks.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 06, 2012, 01:24:51 pm »

I say the more the better, provided you don't sacrifice too much of quality. I know I'm planning at least two, with a couple decoys.
Live bait.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 06, 2012, 02:34:52 pm »

my trap actually killed someone?! YES!!! ITS NOT A COMPLETE FAILURE!!!

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 06, 2012, 03:21:32 pm »

my trap actually killed someone?! YES!!! ITS NOT A COMPLETE FAILURE!!!
Wait, did you also put hard to spot holes into the walls?
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41