Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41

Author Topic: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game  (Read 96814 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2011, 11:33:58 pm »

personally i mentioned raw modifying as a joke, metahacks are gamey and people won't want to scour the raws to make sure that badgers aren't [DRAGONFIREBREATH]

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2011, 12:37:34 am »

Well, it seems most people are in favor of purely in-game traps, and I think you guys are right that raw editing traps would be pretty gamey, not to mention easily reversible but tedious to discover. I'll wait for a few more opinions, but I think that I'm going to update the rules to forbid traps to in-game stuff only.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2011, 12:57:07 am »

I think, in the interests of creativity and fairness, the traps should be purely something that can be done in-game.  Init options, raws, all that seem a bit too meta.  This whole thing was inspired by a fairly clever water-trap, and I think we should keep to that spirit.  Be cunning, people.  Surely we can manage some inventive traps in game; we're the fanbase that built a computer with pumps and magma!
isn't that meta also? a computer in a computer?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:23:32 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2011, 02:54:02 am »

Raw editing is too easy.

I can think of a few easy raw edits that can absolutely cripple a fort without destroying it.

My favorite is making a new caste of dwarves that explode, making it pop_ratio of 100000 explody dwarves to 1 non-explody.

It wouldn't destroy the fort, because only migrants/children could have this new caste.

Oh, or making the local layer stone/most used material explode, and giving it an inhaled syndrome that causes crippled legs...

oh man that one's great

I'm voting in-game traps. In-game traps are far more ingenious, difficult and, well, dwarfy, than raw edits.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2011, 03:00:39 am »

Seconded.
Although fire-breathing iron badgers would be a descent surprise, but if we start with raw edition, fort transforms to total psychopathic madness. So, let's stay wit h in-game traps, it's also can be very fun.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2011, 04:52:14 am »

Waiting for the guy who just use the burrow feature to round up 99% of the community and place them into a nice mini isle that has no tools or way off it.
The 1 percent goes around destroying every thing and melt all the tools, then kill them selves setting the next player with no picks no axe every one stuck on a platform that channel out and expected to make it through by migrants and luck.
"body swapping and YOU!"

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2011, 05:44:25 am »

Waiting for the guy who just use the burrow feature to round up 99% of the community and place them into a nice mini isle that has no tools or way off it.
The 1 percent goes around destroying every thing and melt all the tools, then kill them selves setting the next player with no picks no axe every one stuck on a platform that channel out and expected to make it through by migrants and luck.
Dwarves can escape by dodging someone's attack and falling down. Some tantruming dwarf, for example.
But it's not hidden surprise that we are supposed to make.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2011, 10:39:39 am »

Sorry about the lack of update-ness, guys. Expect my turn to get finished up this afternoon.

Also, I'm glad we've finally come to a consensus on using "in-game" only deathtraps.  And also remember: don't kill the fort on purpose, just make the next player's turn fun (as in "a living hell")!
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2011, 10:51:16 am »

Dwarves can escape by dodging someone's attack and falling down. Some tantruming dwarf, for example.
But it's not hidden surprise that we are supposed to make.
Kinda the point why does modding raws/hacking examples all lead to horrible fort ending stuff? Is it because the power to do this makes people bloodthirsty? Or the sudden fear that the present ends up accidentally ending a fort? I thought we could go in and do mischievous things that while horrible is a mild annoyance to the next player.
Though I don't know about the dodging into a pit that filled with magma.
oh well, Pshchopathic madness would have been !!XXFUNXX!!
I'll just continue pumping ideas on how to lightly annoy others then.
"body swapping and YOU!"

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2011, 10:58:15 am »

The possibility of players editing the raws is actually why I quit.  But since I did, my opinion shouldn't count.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2011, 02:07:22 pm »

Alright, rules have been updated to specify that your traps must be made purely in-game.
Like others have said, the possibility that things can get out of hand is too high. Start drawing up some plans, people :P

EDIT:
Rumrusher, have you actually signed up for a turn? I looked, and you never asked.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:10:32 pm by Crazy Cow »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2011, 02:48:55 pm »

Alright, rules have been updated to specify that your traps must be made purely in-game.
Like others have said, the possibility that things can get out of hand is too high. Start drawing up some plans, people :P

EDIT:
Rumrusher, have you actually signed up for a turn? I looked, and you never asked.
I was but then the rule 3b kinda kill all means of joining.
I was going to test my skills with Adventurer mode cross fort mode to make nice unique present, it would take lots of traveling and what not but I was going to see if I can make a squad of beasts for the next player to use. Have a dwarf command a "full squad of mythical beasts from the nightmares of human settlements" sounds dwarfy given that one dwarf had to walk miles to find them, all not race change either. The issue in doing this was that having infamous monsters as fortress guards leads to a chance of botching a trade if the player happens to have one beast guarding the area but given how this succession game is that would fit with the theme and that doesn't kill the place(unless the player foolishly attacks them all causing a loyalty crusade then blames me for adding them.).

"body swapping and YOU!"

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2011, 03:59:42 pm »

9th Sandstone
Autumn began uneventfully. My opulent quarters were dug out, smoothed, and furnished; engraving continues at the moment. Now if only I could limp down there to see them. I'm tired of resting in this drafty statue garden when everyone around me has their own rooms.

It was not until over a month had passed that something noteworthy happened. A beekeeper, one Ustuth Deglokum, had a sudden shift in personality and began obsessing over something called Aralenkos.

He booted the craftsdwarf out of his workshop, gathered some conglomerate, leather, and bone, and began a mysterious construction.
So far, par for the course. My only question is... seriously? Conglomerate? The only uglier stone that exists is puddingstone. Even microcline would be preferable to conglomerate, the color and texture of a seriously nasty bowel movement.

Ah well. I may as well see what he makes.

13th Sandstone

More migrants. I may just have to drown myself in dwarven wine.

18th Sandstone

The beekeeper emerged from the workshop in a daze clutching an amulet the color of excrement. Apparently he named it "Womantook," a name I can only associate with sexual dysfunction of some kind. Maybe he can't get laid because he keeps making conglomerate amulets or something.

22nd Sandstone

I have recieved word that my chambers have been totally engraved and furnished.

Even though I cannot occupy them... it makes me feel proud just to know I own them.

Still, I feel uneasy. I know my time left here is brief... sooner or later they will forget about me, sooner or later I will no longer be given food or forced to drink disgusting flavorless water. Soon I shall starve to death, or die of thirst, and even if it is in ten years, I will never be able to so much as occupy the chambers I ordered built to my specifications. They shall simply molder.

I intend on resigning come spring. Therefore, I wish to make a decree while I still hold authority. Let no one break this decree until this fortress crumbles to dust.

The magnificent chambers on the bedroom level, consisting of a throne room, a bedroom, and a private dining room, shall belong to whomsoever holds authority in this fortress, for however long that authority lasts. Upon ceding said authority to a new person, these rooms shall also be ceded to said new person.

In addition, each authority-holder should dig his own grave, as a reminder of his mortality and a caution against hubris. Obviously I can't do any digging myself, but I shall at least order a tomb dug for myself and for Crazy Cow.

I envision that new tombs shall be dug along this hallway for each overseer. Hopefully, in a few years, the hallway shall no longer resemble a cock'n'balls.

16th Timber

A caravan showed up today. Hopefully we can get some new seeds... we have no pig tails, and our booze variety is suffering as a result. I swear, I will throttle whoever thought bringing dimple cup spawn was a good idea.

At my urging, and also a little blackmail (it's amazing what uncovering a fortress-wide mass-murder attempt can do to let you influence a person), Crazy Cow ordered wood from the liason. Loads of wood.

On the trading front, I asked the broker what he thought the best goods to trade were. He pointed wordlessly at our food stockpile. Come to think of it...

All the traders look like they haven't eaten in months. They were watching our well-fed, rather portly dwarves

with a mixture of envy and contempt, and a few of them were actually drooling at the smells coming from the kitchen. And indeed, they were willing to pay outrageous premiums for good food, which we had in abundance.

We managed to purchase a large amount of essential goods; many logs, bins of leather and silk cloth, the needed seeds to get our booze operations running again, and of course more food (which of course the caravan couldn't have eaten themselves... these were trade goods! There's be bureaucratic hell back at the Mountainhomes if so much as one dragonfly brain was unaccounted for!) to be processed by our cook, who I must really think about giving a promotion. The caravan also took our gift of *donkey tallow roast*s and devoured them standing, crying tears of joy.

_________
1st Moonstone

And with that, autumn gives way to winter. My time here is drawing to a close, and I begin to think about the legacy I might leave this fort. I think that I have succeeded in making our fort a pleasant place to live... the chatter I hear from my horrid rest-bed is generally positive.

Nobody has died on my watch, which I am truly thankful for. Of course, three months of winter still loom... I should not grow complacent.

OOC: Crazy Cow, do you have any preferences for how you want your tomb decorated? Mine's all done, but yours is pretty much a blank slate so far since I don't know what you would prefer in or out of character.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2011, 04:27:01 pm »

Let's see.
Statues lining the three walls that don't have a door in them. A coffin at the far end, bordered by two weapon racks on either side. DON'T ENGRAVE THE FLOOR and that would be all, thank you.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2011, 04:27:47 pm »

Duly noted.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41