Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41

Author Topic: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game  (Read 96838 times)

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
Re: Screw the Next Player Over! A Succession Game
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2011, 07:59:28 pm »

5th Opal

I have been told that my tomb, as well as Crazycow's have been completed, decorated, and furnished. Good. At least if I cannot live with dignity, I can at least have some modicum of distinction in death.

My tomb, on the left side of the hallway, is engraved on floor, wall, and ceiling with images of our fortress's founding. I was also told of one image which I am not quite sure what to make of.

Is this a "political cartoon" of some kind? I must admit, I am perplexed. My tomb also includes four gem windows; I have always found their gentle scintillations to be soothing.

Crazy Cow's tomb is engraved on the walls and lined with statues.

At any rate, I have also expanded the bedroom complex and have ordered the creation of beds for the new rooms.

Not two minutes after the messenger told me about the tombs, I recieved another message.

Little Zon is sure to grow up to be quite the dwarf, given his already-impressive full beard.

Please, CrazyCow, don't spear this one to death.

15th Opal

Enough is enough, I say. It's time to put the underutilized skills of some of this fortress to use. Specifically, we need a medical system. More specifically, I NEED MEDICAL ATTENTION.

Paging through the manifests, it seems that there are in fact many dwarves with untapped skill for medicine. Our clothier is in fact an excellent diagnostician; he shall be the new Chief Medical Dwarf and Diagnostician. A woodcutter has remarkably nimble hands and skill with thread; he is now the Stitchsmith. Two peasants have a remarkably soothing manner and skill with cleaning and dressing wounds; they are now Bandagesmiths. Finally, a wax-worker has a rudimentary knowledge of healing fractures and setting bones; he is now the Bonesmith. The hospital shall be dug out momentarily.

I may have a nice damn tomb, but I don't intend on going there before I absolutely have to.

27th Opal

The hospital is complete. It has been dug out one level below the bedrooms. With any luck I'll be moved down there and given at least a crutch so I can leave this damned bed.

23rd Obsidian

With 7 days left in my overseership, Crazy Cow's husband enters a fey mood. I understand, Etur... anything to escape the screaming baby and the old ball'n'chain, eh?

He's a mechanic, so this should be interesting.

29th Obsidian
He began his construction today. The mechanic, I mean.

I don't care. Tomorrow I retire. Tomorrow I return to being a useless cripple...
or not!

As soon as the chief medical dwarf was appointed in Opal, he took one look at me, rummaged through the stockpiles, and handed me a crutch. It's taken me this long to get confident enough in it to go fetch my things and take them to my room.

Of course, thanks to my earlier decree, I move in with exactly one night before I get booted out again. Still, I suppose one night won't hurt.

In celebration, I have shed my earlier title in favor of a new one. Turns out I'm GOOD at walking.

The mechanic is making something out of dacite, gold, and three kinds of leather. If it doesn't have an image of my jubilant return to the ranks of the mobile on it, heads will roll. Or they would, if I had any power here anymore.

I won't lie; I engaged in a bit of mischief. Nothing near as deadly as hidden spikes in the hallway, though. Hopefully the next overseer won't begrudge me a bit of fun.

So ends the career of Udib 'ImBocaire' Aniteb, metalsmith, overseer, and professional Goddamn walker.

OOC: Notes for Next Overseer

Currently the only booze we have is dwarven wine. Hopefully that will change; I set up two new plots to start growing cave wheat, sweet pods, and pig tails, and bought the relevant seeds from the caravan.

The bedroom complex and dining room are on the same floor; it wasn't clear in any of the screenshots I took. I'd put a map on the map archive, but, well, it might spoil my trap (which isn't really all that bad).

Feel free to keep expanding the bedroom complex; the carpenter is set to make beds on repeat, and I'd do that each time a caravan with wood arrives. We've got more prepared food than we would ever be able to eat, so don't be shy about donating it to caravans.

I realized halfway through winter that I had turned invasions off for my personal fort and forgotten to turn them back on for this. Your turns might be a bit more hectic because of this, although if a single war dog can still drive off an entire siege, I think we'll be fine.

There's an aquifer on half of  the first floor, and it extends downward somewhat, so I'd be wary of digging too haphazardly.

That's all. I had a lot of fun on this fort, and I hope my updates were enjoyable.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4742

[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2011, 09:00:35 pm »

Awesome. Your updates are indeed enjoyable.
I'll PM Demonic Spoon and let him know his turn is up.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2011, 08:24:45 am »

Downloading, will post soon, probably.

EDIT: Your surprise is leaving entrances to the caverns open? Cos that's all that I'm seeing.

EDIT2: And the fact that you ordered our drinks cooked. Good thing I always check stuff like this before unpausing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:51:26 am by Demonic Spoon »

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2011, 09:18:35 am »

EDIT: Your surprise is leaving entrances to the caverns open? Cos that's all that I'm seeing.

EDIT2: And the fact that you ordered our drinks cooked. Good thing I always check stuff like this before unpausing.

Drinks are set to cook by default.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2011, 09:20:04 am »

but you can forbid everything except drinks and single solid item, and set cooking lavish meals on repeat.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2011, 09:29:28 am »

Drinks are set to cook by default.

Yes, but most competent players turn it off immediately to prevent drink shortage, especially early on as in this fort.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:37 am »

I'll normally forbid drinks, plants, and seeds before letting my cooks loose. That way, they cook all the extra tallow, eggs and meat lying around, without destroying my lovely plants and booze. Of course, that's only when I stop being lazy enough to actually set up some cooks.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:56:39 am by Crazy Cow »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2011, 09:39:23 am »

Wait, we have a aquifier? Heh, almost screwed up the fort in a unintended manner.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2011, 10:11:23 am »

See, I usually keep tallow for soap.

Some of it, at least. If I find the fort is overflowing with one type of tallow, I'll let that kind be cooked.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:04 am »

So it has fallen to me, the glorious Demonic Spoon to improve this fortress into something worthy of my presence!

After a tour of the premises it becomes clear that I will have my work cut out for me. A dire lack of workshops or other facilities and general sad state of the fortress and defenses shall be first on my agenda. As such I ordered some cage traps placed on most of our entrances, with the second aboveground entrance being entirely sealed. I have also ordered blocks made because what kind of dwarf construct things with raw stone?

...may Armok have mercy on our souls.

Did I mention that we have no military?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:58:05 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2011, 11:00:22 am »

So it has fallen to me, the glorious Demonic Spoon to improve this fortress into something worthy of my presence!

After a tour of the premises it becomes clear that I will have my work cut out for me. A dire lack of workshops or other facilities and general sad state of the fortress and defenses shall be first on my agenda. As such I ordered some cage traps placed on most of our entrances, with the second aboveground entrance being entirely sealed. I have also ordered block made because what kind of dwarf construct things with raw stone?

...may Armok have mercy on our souls.

Did I mention that we have no military?
Quote from: adventurer in me
you don't need no stinkin' military just take over a dwarf and rush in there in adventurer mode, then after you win butcher the body and drink it's blood!
You know how to make a trap in a short period before it reaches the fort? Hey can't you hook up a bridges to make a cage to contain the beast.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:16 am »

Yeah, it was leaving the fort open to the cavern XD I got kind of attached to the fort and sorta half-assed the trap.

But the crundles, the cruuuuundles!

Also, that titan is basically a two-tailed tyrannosaur Spiderman.

(Spiderman, Spiderman, two-tailed tyrannosaur Spiderman...)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2011, 11:06:06 am »

Luckily for you, webs are currently bugged when on Titans and FB's.
Unluckily for you, you have absolutely no military might at all. Don't worry, that starving war dog will save you!

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2011, 11:08:08 am »

Unfortunately, since the starving war dog didn't actually kill anything, he has yet to be assigned a name. So his name for now is just "Starving War Dog."

Edit: Maybe I can play this off as "my trap was hitting the population and wealth cap for a titan without building up a military?"

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2011, 11:14:11 am »

Starving War Dog has been killed by badger men. He has been replaced by Starving Wardog Mark II.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41