Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: The Most Scariest Game You've Ever Seen in your Life  (Read 12522 times)

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Scariest Game You've Ever Seen in your Life
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2011, 10:57:43 pm »

Pathologic, I haven't even played that game due to watching a playthrough. Its so fucking scary, and extremely creepy. It gives me nightmares *shudder*.
There need to be complete Lets Plays of that game.  The only ones I've found/seen are "I'll play until I die" kinds, which are very short (seriously, 1/6th of the game or less).
I just might pop one of those up on my YouTube channel in a few weeks.
Could you give me a link to your Youtube Account? I watch Lets Plays all the time.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2011, 11:21:50 pm »

There's an old playstation 2 game where you are a man, trapped on a spacestation that is infested with ghosts.  Kicker is that you have a bad heart, the life support is broken (thus you are trapped in a space-suit that you can barely run in) you are slowly starving to death and you have to escape.  SO the health in the game is both timed on starving to death and having a heart attack if an evil ghost gets too close or scares you too bad.  Really fun game, a lot of 'ghost' fog and great story line.  Forgot the name though.
I remember that game, I had a lot of fun with that one.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2011, 11:34:17 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention the 5 Days A Stranger series by Yahtzee Croshaw.  They're a set of SCUMM style adventure games with lots of creepy stuff going on, and free to download too.

KG

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2011, 12:16:37 am »

Years ago Black & white had me a bit freaked out. uni days, mostly in some other state of consciousness - I kept hearing the word "death" whispered in the background, on the very edge of hearing. I didn't realise for some time that this sample played every time a villager died...

I never made it past the level where the game throws 3 fireballs at you from across the map every 90 seconds.  My entire game was "death, death, death."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2011, 12:31:25 am »

Pathologic, I haven't even played that game due to watching a playthrough. Its so fucking scary, and extremely creepy. It gives me nightmares *shudder*.
There need to be complete Lets Plays of that game.  The only ones I've found/seen are "I'll play until I die" kinds, which are very short (seriously, 1/6th of the game or less).
I just might pop one of those up on my YouTube channel in a few weeks.
Could you give me a link to your Youtube Account? I watch Lets Plays all the time.
DON'T DO IT YOU FOOL, ITS A TRAP!

Pathologic is one of the only games where you have to murder children to survive, oh god the nightmares are coming back now.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2011, 12:34:59 am »

Pathologic is one of the only games where you have to murder children to survive, oh god the nightmares are coming back now.

The game puts you in the uncomfortable position of murdering (a child, a bum) because the fight will be easy, in order to steal what little possessions they have in order to heal your own wounds, or giving them what little you have in order to raise your reputation so the townsfolk don't start attacking you on sight.

As a friend of mine said about the game, "I sold my only starting gun in order to feed myself on the first day."  And I sold my starting weapon (a scalpel, which wouldn't have been that great for very long (would have done deep, deadly wounds, but had extremely low durability)) in order to pay for an illegal burial.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2011, 02:37:01 am »

Amnesia: Justine is magnitudes scarier than the base game. It plays out like Saw, but I wish they'd expanded the concept more.

Also, I heard Pathologic has completely broken English translations, but that there's some kind of project going on to fix that. Anyone have any more info?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:43:25 am by Yodamaster »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2011, 07:21:11 am »

http://ice-pick.com/translate/forum/

Only one I know of. It's been put on hold however and it's pretty much dead.
It's a shame really, generally the community is pretty quick to translate things.

EDIT: I have to say after looking at the game, the poor English translations do have a charm to them
Bandage: Promotes recovery of health after traumatic influence. Intercepts bleeding.

β-tablets (“synthetic”) - synthetic immune corrector increasing the immune defense in direct ratio to depression of your health level (beware of overdosage).

Shops and drug stores function, though an assortment of goods is limited. Prevent speculation! Do not buy goods at higher prices.

Render assistance to the doctors, give detailed comprehensive and clear replies to their questions as far as it is possible.
Sounds like the H.E.V. suit from Half-Life is giving the descriptions.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:27:05 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2011, 07:27:56 am »

Amnesia: Justine is magnitudes scarier than the base game. It plays out like Saw, but I wish they'd expanded the concept more.

I never downloaded Justine, since I'm scared that I'll be scared to the point that I won't be playing the game anymore, but from what I heard, every level is at least as scary as the prison levels?

If that's the case, then I doubt I'll be able to play it at all.

EDIT: lol, too sleepy, just proofread my post and it said 'bought' out of instinct. Justine's free, curse it!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:31:33 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2011, 09:47:03 am »

I never bought Justine, since I'm scared that I'll be scared to the point that I won't be playing the game anymore, but from what I heard, every level is at least as scary as the prison levels?

If that's the case, then I doubt I'll be able to play it at all.

First of all, there is no saving. There's respawning at a checkpoint if you die, but you can't exit out of the game and come back later if you want to finish it. However, the whole thing comes down to about half an hour. Basically, you wake up in a locked room, with a phonograph and an empty lantern. Jigsaw Some mysterious figure tells you that this is a psychological test and that "everyone can be saved." There's 3 main scenarios in which people are trapped. Killing them is the easiest thing to do, and also lets you advance quicker + more safely, but it is of course possible (with more work and danger to yourself at times) to save everyone.

The first two guys are mostly puzzles, but the third one requires quick action that took me a couple times to past.

And the end is just twisted.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:51:52 am by Yodamaster »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2011, 04:22:31 pm »

Began my second attempt at Penumbra: Overture the other night.  I easily got past the part where I got stuck last time.  It was kind of stupid that I had so much trouble with that.  Now I'm trucking along, but hitting the problem where I'm going to have little opportunity to play for the next couple weeks.  Aaaargh that totally ruins a horror game, where the whole idea is to get immersed.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2011, 04:46:18 pm »

I was around 10 years old or so... playing xcom. Night mission with chryssalids.

NEVER AGAIN.

I will also never find a game that can illicit that same sort of fear.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]