Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: The Most Scariest Game You've Ever Seen in your Life  (Read 12545 times)

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Scariest Game You've Ever Seen in your Life
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2011, 02:09:39 pm »

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines... THAT DAMN GHOST HOUSE'S EXPLODING LIGHTBULBS. Every damn time man... Every damn time.

Also Clive Barker's Undying.

Reaching into the clothes' dryer expecting to find the head of a child only to end up with the key to the room where the family was killed is what sticks in my mind.

I have to give my 2 cents for X-Com though, although my battle cry is "Buy soldiers for $40k! Sell corpses for $20k!", the game still makes me jump when I step into a small ufo and all I hear is a shot and a scream and sudden darkness.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2011, 02:23:36 pm »

I still find DooM3 scary.  At least mostly in the earlier parts.

For me, whether a game is scary or not is all about atmosphere, and I'm not just talking about the game.  I mean, I like to play in the dark, with headphones on late at night.  That can make or break scariness for me.

I still remember playing Ultima Underworld in 3rd grade and that used to scare the crap outta me.  Now it's just laughable.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »

I'm actually scared to start up Penumbra Overture I got with the HIB a while back.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2011, 02:47:39 pm »

Oh yeah.  REAL scary.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2011, 03:02:23 pm »

Meh, Call of C'thulu is more scary for the people who HAVEN'T read the books. It's less scary when you already know what the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
are, and you can recognize the monsters.

Amnesia scares the sh*t out of me. Damn zombie-things. It's really scary when something walks up to your hiding spot, and you know you have nowhere to run, and then it kills you.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2011, 03:03:47 pm »

Meh, Call of C'thulu is more scary for the people who HAVEN'T read the books. It's less scary when you already know what the
are, and you can recognize the monsters.

I'm jaded.  I used to play Arkham Horror (the board game published in 2005, as opposed to the 1980s? version) all the time.

Also, you might like this CD of Christmas music.

*Hums, "It's beginning to look a lot like fishmen..."*

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2011, 03:14:14 pm »

I figured this might be a place to ask.

There is a game, I don't know what it is called, but I saw a youtube trailer for it.

a platformer done in shades of black and blacker. You look like a little boy running onrooftops and things and there is this dark spot with a giant spider you can't really see very well. I wanted to check it out, but I don't recall what it was called. It was supposed to have won some kind of award for its artistic style.

The trailer made the game look cold, dark and lonely, where the shadows come alive and eat you.

Anyone know what it is?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2011, 03:16:00 pm »

I'd say Amnesia is mine, Dead Space comes close but atleast you have the ability to defend yourself.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2011, 03:19:34 pm »

Nadaka: Sounds like Limbo.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2011, 03:40:20 pm »

Amnesia for me.  Most other games I've played have just had surprise scares.

There was one part of the FPS series FEAR that got me and made me a bit happy afterwards though. 

In fear 1 and 2, most of the supposedly scary bits were just silly things, like all of a sudden a dead body flashes in front of you and then disappears, or the creepy little girl is seen running somewhere at a distance.  And whenever something like this is going to happen, the music changes to a creepier music.  None of this bothered me much at all until one single part early into FEAR 2.  I was wandering around somebodies apartment exploring a bit and since the music hadn't changed I wasn't expecting anything.  At one point I turned around and saw the creepy little dead girl following me and I spazzed out as my nerves shot through the roof and blasted everything in front of my with my SMG.  I was so used to the music warning me of something creepy ahead of time that the one time it didn't I was completely unnerved.   :P

Unfortunately it only happened once in the game, after that the game followed the same music ahead of scary scene formula.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2011, 04:08:37 pm »

I saw Dead Space as more of an action game and a lot less of a horror one, the only scary parts for me were the playing dead necromorphs that would sit still until you came too close then jump up and attack you.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2011, 04:48:44 pm »

The hotel?

The hotel's pretty crazy.  The rest of the game isn't all that scary.  The

has potential but it's too damn hard.  After running down the same hallway fifty times I'm no longer scared, just annoyed.
Running down hallways while being chased by some sort of monster, I can only hear it, but I don't want to turn around all the way to see it because I know it will kill me.
Turning back just enough to close and lock the doors behind me.
I'm not sure which is going to kill me first, the curiosity or the monster. So I stop. And I turn around.
And I see a giant green... wall rushing towards me.
And I think I hear a sputter or a gasp, or maybe nothing at all.

The hotel scene was really intense too even though it was obviously trial-and-error that you could only win after going through at least two dozen times. The whole rest of the game is pretty uninteresting, especially after you get guns and the adventure-y aspect of the game pretty much melts away. I got about halfway through the very last level and never even finished it I was so offput by the drudgery of the everyday shooting bangbangness.

Were you playing on 360 or on the PC port?  The PC port had engine issues where your movement speed was tied to your framerate...on a lot of machines, the hotel scene and the final sequence were nigh on, if not completely impossible without a trainer program to increase your movement speed.  It really killed the tension of that scene and made it frustrating rather than scary.  Other than that, it was a decent game, pretty scary, and I give it credit for some good concepts.

A lot of the best scary games I've played have been mentioned here already.  Amnesia was pretty freaky, and nicely paced between puzzle/tension/"OMGRUN!" scenes.  System Shock 2 had good amounts of tension while sneaking around the ship.  FEAR I found pretty scary, but Japanese "little girl" type horror tends to get to me.  For some reason, Vampire: The Masquerade's hotel level didn't get to me though; I think it was because I realized fairly early on...

One I haven't seen mentioned yet is Thief, incidentally on the same engine as System Shock 2Thief was the first M rated game I played, and the Bonehoard, the Old Quarter, and the Cathedral were incredibly frightening at the time.  The Cradle from Thief 3 also did a good job with scary atmosphere.

KG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2011, 04:57:43 pm »

Oh yeah.  REAL scary.

Neat Penumbra screenshot there. Kinda looks like an Amnesia.

I'll second the notion for The Void, pretentious art game nonwithstanding. I like the fear of knowing that something is at stake, where quick saves are not a thing and something of value will be lost if you fuck up. Sometimes that is time, but better is indirect time. Loosing resources that take time to harvest? Frightening. Thus why The Void and Minecraft are both terrifying games for me to play. The more wealth you have the more you fear it all going going gone
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »

Oh yeah.  REAL scary.

Neat Penumbra screenshot there. Kinda looks like an Amnesia.

Penumbra? *Shrug* I just scraped something off Google (and edited it a little)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »

There's a CoC game that's not pnp? Is it really good as in worth its cost?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8