Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The Most Scariest Game You've Ever Seen in your Life  (Read 12543 times)

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Scariest Game You've Ever Seen in your Life
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 01:13:54 pm »

Three games that scare me are

Penumbra.. nuff said

Alan Wake: its not really scary but more of you have moments where you are yelling mild profanities as your reloading your gun as a swarm of enemies coming

Demon Soul: You walk into a room covered in bloodstains of other players you look at one to see how the player died to only figure out to late they died because they were to busy looking at bloodstains to notice the hoard rushing them
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 01:15:00 pm »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 02:05:13 pm »

I've been playing through Amnesia and so far I've enjoyed Penumbra a lot more.
I think I just prefer the atmosphere and storyline of Penumbra better.

A note from a dead father to venture into some artic bunker to find out the secrets going on there versus waking up in a Prussian castle with a sore head and no real idea of progression.

Overture, which I thought was the strongest of the Penumbra series, did a better job of making you feel isolated. The notes have no voice overs like Amnesia and the only other person in the game is a crazed pscyopath. Which without spoilers has one of the best endings I've seen.
Shame it started to decline in quality after overture a bit. I was one of the few people who acutally liked the melee "combat" in overture and was sad to see it go. The third installment was just terrible, seemed like the devs played way too much portal.

There aren't too many games that scare me. Most games idea of horror is to have monsters jump out of the shadows and shriek while you mow them down with your lead spitting gun-metal-gray errection.

I did find the orginal Alien Versus Predator to be terrifying, mostly because I was like 7 years old when I played it.
Could not get past the second predator/marine levels because thats when they'll release the facehuggers onto you.
God I hated those so much.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had it's times but I much prefer the game when it had the depressing atmosphere rather than when they try to go for the all out horror feel of the tunnels. The two do juxtapostion eachother nicely and helps to break up the gameplay a bit.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 02:10:45 pm »

^ Followed by the second Penumbra.

Pathologic is up there somewhere too.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »

Dead Space :S
Everytime I play that I usually quit before I even see an enemy...

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 03:05:23 pm »

2. Clive Barkers Undying. I got like 2 hours into it, hit this hallway with freaking scary curtains (yes, curtains) and said "screw this". And exited. :)

I know exactly which hallway you mean. I had to wait for the morning to play through that part.   :D

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 12:16:41 am »

2. Clive Barkers Undying. I got like 2 hours into it, hit this hallway with freaking scary curtains (yes, curtains) and said "screw this". And exited. :)

I know exactly which hallway you mean. I had to wait for the morning to play through that part.   :D

I think I played that area in a totally dark room in the middle of the night.  At one point I freaked out and shot the heck out of a wall in a panic.  Great moment in gaming.

Oh another one with potential is King's Field the Ancient City.  There's a part where you must drop down a wall that you can't climb back up and in the distant darkness there's like 8 pairs of glowing eyes.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 12:30:58 am »

Yeknow, I was kind of expecting someone to point to a popular and really bad game and go "AHHHHH scary, get away!"
I suppose you can't always get what you want.

Anyway, I'm going to add "The Void" to the list, since it hasn't been up there yet. It's scary in an extremely subtle way, the way you're desperately struggling for resources that are trickling through your fingers...
It's a "desperate" kind of scary, it's very powerful. Of course it wouldn't work without the frigging awesome atmosphere.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2011, 01:48:32 am »

I was playing Crusader Kings this one time, and about half an hour in, it was so much I couldn't even play any more. I literally turned off the game, removed it from my computer, and gave the disc away. No joke.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 02:24:31 am »

I didnt read the whole thread but for me, at the time of playing, I was scared with System Shock 2. Probably wouldnt be true now but back then it was kinda freaky, maybe we are de-sensitized now.

Also, when I was a kid, Haunted House on the Atari 2600 creeped me out.
I got nothing

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 02:27:55 am »

I find the best thrills you can get out of videogames are being in a tunnel filled with water or crouching in the shadows just next to a guard.

I don't really get the "boo" and "splatter" types of scariness. Well yeah, sudden loud noises may make me jump. But that's just the "what the fuck" reaction similar to the screamers you see in YouTube. I don't get people who are genuinely afraid of them, but then again, I'm a bit bad at suspension of disbelief anyway.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 03:04:35 am »

I didnt read the whole thread but for me, at the time of playing, I was scared with System Shock 2. Probably wouldnt be true now but back then it was kinda freaky, maybe we are de-sensitized now.

Also, when I was a kid, Haunted House on the Atari 2600 creeped me out.

Oh man! Haunted House was balls out awesome when I was a kid.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 08:33:57 am »

I remember when playing through the first halo, the part where you meet the flood scared the living SHIT out of me. When they burst out of the doors i remember trying to shoot at them with the assault rifle but failing horribly.
And I was probably around 10 at the time ^^

I always thought they added the level 'The Library' to get you used to the flood.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 08:54:53 am »

The hotel?

The hotel's pretty crazy.  The rest of the game isn't all that scary.  The

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

has potential but it's too damn hard.  After running down the same hallway fifty times I'm no longer scared, just annoyed.
Running down hallways while being chased by some sort of monster, I can only hear it, but I don't want to turn around all the way to see it because I know it will kill me.
Turning back just enough to close and lock the doors behind me.
I'm not sure which is going to kill me first, the curiosity or the monster. So I stop. And I turn around.
And I see a giant green... wall rushing towards me.
And I think I hear a sputter or a gasp, or maybe nothing at all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The hotel scene was really intense too even though it was obviously trial-and-error that you could only win after going through at least two dozen times. The whole rest of the game is pretty uninteresting, especially after you get guns and the adventure-y aspect of the game pretty much melts away. I got about halfway through the very last level and never even finished it I was so offput by the drudgery of the everyday shooting bangbangness.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 12:06:05 pm »

god when you mentioned penumbra i watched p-bats vids, so goddamn creepy
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8