Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Most Scariest Game You've Ever Seen in your Life  (Read 12533 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: The Most Scariest Game You've Ever Seen in your Life
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 03:06:27 am »

What if I said you can't fight back and no matter how pro you are, she always kill one of your friends as soon as you exit the level?

How does that make the game scarier?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 03:06:48 am »

You're not making an effective case in favor of the game, Hitty!

What if I said you can't fight back and no matter how pro you are, she always kill one of your friends as soon as you exit the level?

Unless you mean she kills one of my actual friends in real life, no, that doesn't sound even kind of scary.
Shoes...

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 03:15:27 am »

The first night in Minecraft scared me to death.

Sometimes when playing cheaply designed games where ambience is just some emitted sound from some "supposedly" inaccessible/loliliekfpsidontgotherebecuznomoansterzlul place, then i went there, to hear BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRP, wich makes me jump. Good thing newer games have better ambience..

Also when i was a kid with a PS2, i playe Byond Good and Evil, that game was boss, but i was shaking the whole time in that first alpha sections thing with that giant monster with a pearl as eye, that place was so creepy, no shit that it was rated spider, holy shit. Also Slaughterhouse and random other places, hell i hated them. But i really liked that game.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 04:05:09 am »

Let's see...

The Suffering was a good scary game. It's free to play now, I think.
When I was younger, Super Mario 64's haunted house level scared me.
The first time I played Minecraft and heard the ambient sounds, it got a jump out of me.

I haven't played Amnesia yet, but watched so many videos of it that I feel no motivation to play it.

I think that's all I can think of for now. But OP, thanks for the link to the app. I'm going to download it and try it before I judge.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 04:16:46 am »

Hmmm... I don't think I really get scared by games much, I guess it comes with knowing you can revert to a savegame as soon as things stop going your way. :P
One thing that was kinda scary in a game though, was when I first started Fallout 3, I'd just come out of the vault and wandered into an abandoned school, armed only with a .32 pistol.
Needless to say, it was decorated with grisly butchered corpses and severed limbs, and I could hear psychopaths stalking me... It helped that I was playing it late at night, too, I guess.

The only type of game I find that can really scare me would be RPIs, where you actually develop your character amongst others, and become attatched to them, and once they die, they're gone. I love RPIs. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 04:22:31 am »

The resident Evil games are not scary at all though.

I don't play a lot of horror games, but the first area in RE4 was pretty damn unsettling. Because you had shitty weapons and didn't really know what was going on and then suddenly you are surrounded by zombies and you barricade yourself in the upper floor of a building and they start coming through the window and you're shooting them and suddenly you're decapitated from behind by a guy with a burlap sack on his head and a chainsaw. Also, it may have been late and I may have been a little doped.
After that it became a explodingzombiefest, though.

I don't really buy into horror movies that much, suspension of disbelief and all that, but I haven't played most of these games people describe as sincerely scary. I think I should try Amnesia, see if it really scares the shit out of me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:24:53 am by kinseti »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 04:32:16 am »

I don't play a lot of horror games mostly because I am outright scared of horror.

Personally I think Phantasmagoria had a style of horror simply not done anymore and I think the game is underrated.

Basically the game isn't outright scary until WAAAY later. It has one of the more scary yet harmless rooms in all videogames. One unfortunate aspect of the game is you can skip possibly one of the most disturbing chase sequences ever (though frankly that section is so tough I can see why you would skip it)

Other then that I played Fatal Frame...

Though unfortunately the most scary game for me was probably the Dinosaur picture taking game... if ONLY because of the underwater sections that play off my deep water phobia (heck Lands of Lore Guardians of Destiny managed to make me stop playing the game way)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:34:45 am by Neonivek »

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 04:54:09 am »

ASilent Hill 2. scary. not so much as amnesia, but scary nevertheless.

Amnesia: the dark descent is scary. REALLY SCARY. yeah, it gets repetative after a while, but damn, it is scary.

and i played Dead space 1 & 2. and it isn't scary. it's startling. you shit your pants the first time (you run without a weapon.). and when the monster that was supposingly dead jumps in you and has a mouthful of your face. but it just becomes less scary when you have the familliar feeling of a weapon in your hand. but when the scary part fails, intensity gets in. the game is intense, and scary, and pretty good. the story is also OK.

when i was a 6 year old kid, and i played Doom 2 for the first time, i got really scared by the level 2.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 06:00:30 am »

Hidden is pretty scary. It's not often that a multiplayer game is actually scary, but damn if playing that doesn't make me jumpy.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 06:09:42 am »

Hidden can be pretty scary if you've got a good hidden.  One of my favorite things to do was play the piano in decay.  The first time you do it people think it's just part of the ambient soundscape.  The second time you do it they start getting jumpy and shooty.  That's when you start banging on the keys and make it clear you're right behind them. 

Also, one time I bounced a pipe bomb into the generator room in Sewer while the entire enemy team was in it.  They expended most of their ammo and killed two of their own guys.  I wasn't even in the room.
Shoes...

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 08:55:26 am »

No. 1 scariest game for me would be Amnesia: TDD. Getting the feeling that you're being chased by something, when in reality you're not being chased is bone-chilling scary.

As for the other games' most scariest moments, I'll list them here

Dead Space 1: Early game, not knowing the tricks, gets less scary as the game goes.

Dead Space 2: Same as above. Special mention goes to that 'nostalgia' area, where you don't get to face anything for the first half of the area.

The Suffering: The Flashbacks, especially in Dr. Killjoy's area.

Fallout 3: While this game may not be a horror game, dunwich building can get very scary, if you decide to move slowly. The horror is killed when you wear the ghoul mask to waltz in to the end.

Resident Evil Games: The moments where you get a key item and something suddenly jumps through a doorway, or window.

Silent Hill Games: Radio static. It gets very unnerving. Also, the moments where you enter a room, expecting a monster to be there, and there's... nothing.

That's all I can think and remember for now.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 09:03:40 am »

Forbidden Siren is pretty scary. The voice acting does screw up some lines but it is pretty atmospheric, especially when you are sight jacking but have no real idea where the Shibito is.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:34 am »

The original Silent Hill - the sound loop style music, the radio static warning you of nearby monsters, the locales (school and hospital), the look of the other world, your combat ineffectiveness and the fact that running around with the flashlight on attracts more monsters. I think it's the only game I can still consider terrifying to play.

For some reason, I found Amnesia very tedious to play. The madness effect is the most annoying thing right after the one in Call of Cthuhlu. It ain't scary, it's tedious. The water thing was rather creative and somewhat scary. Most other things weren't, though. I kept getting told that I simply cannot fight back against anything, which doesn't really work if I can't even try and the things chasing me look very humanoid.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 09:34:18 am »

Forbidden Siren is pretty scary. The voice acting does screw up some lines but it is pretty atmospheric, especially when you are sight jacking but have no real idea where the Shibito is.

It is odd but after a while I just found the game scary too...

But unfortunately that was because it was horrifically monotonous.

Its story is alright but it suffers from what some other horror games do... It reveals too much. It probably would have been a much better game without some of the end plots.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8