Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Thearchy: A Sci-Fantasy.  (Read 3274 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Thearchy: A Sci-Fantasy.
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:38:10 am »

I apologize in advance for the walloftexty nature of the rules section. I tend to make my things a little complicated, but I also go into intense detail about the way things work, makign it seem even more complicated than it really is (and that's complicated). I also like to make long lists of categories. However if you manage to read through the text and make your character, it's straightforward from there. Please join. I also confess that a few game mechanics-namely the Quickshot/aim attack- were inspired by Deviation-22, which is run by Draignean.

The-ar-chy /ˈTHēˌärkē/ noun: Rule by a god or gods.

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)
OK, now that I've put out that doozy of a backstory, on to the rules.
Spoiler: Roll Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Character Sheet:
Name: (Duh)
Age and Description: (Also obvious:)
Imbue Status: (Has its own section)
Stats: (Own Section)
Skills: (Own section)
Suggestion for the god followed: (You guys suggest a god (an appopriate one, I don't want to have to carry a sickening memory thank you very much) and whoever gets the most votes or looks the most interesting in a tie will be chosen to be you guys god. Or atheism. I don't care what you pick, modern religion, ancient mythology, cults, heck, you can even use DnD gods. I don't care.)
Bio: (Obvious)

Spoiler: Imbue Status (click to show/hide)
Skills:
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats: (click to show/hide)
Now, for the Weapons and spells- I won't describe them now as everything is customized on your skill choices, proficiencies, and god choices.
I would probably collapse if I had to anyway.
Weapon Categories:
Traditional Bullet: The types of guns that use the traditional gunpowder-propelled bullet. They require solely ammo, but traditional ammo is used more than energy cells are, and traditional ammo is the heaviest ballistic ammo due to the need for gunpowder.
Gauss: Magnetic weapons are simple ballistic weapons that use magnetism to fire ferromagnetic bullets at high speeds. Gauss weapons can have very high-caliber bullets, but if they tend to be prevented from working by smaller amounts of damage than other weapons.
Supercooled Matter: Supercooled Matter weapons are technically ballistic weapons as they use shells of cooled matter that is reignited into a plasma after it leaves the weapon: A charging heat inside the gun when a clip is place heats up tiny mechanisms which will blow up and cause the entire thing to set on ridiculous amounts of fire after it leaves the barrel. Usual ammo is such things as materials that light on fire at room temperatue, ridiculously hot fire. The clips themselves are also energy cells. They do very large amounts of damage with respectable accuracy, but Supercooled Matter weapons require charging each clip, which requires an entire extra turn, and the shells are the worst kind to get set on fire or exposed to too much damage,although they onyl really explode with direct exposure to heat or damage.
Plasma: Plasma weapons are energy weapons which fire superheated plasma which is controlled by magnets in the clip-not the round- although after the specially calibrated magnet range is passed or isn't passed into yet, the shots fizzle out and the plasma expands too thinned to hurt anyone. They require both energy cells to heat the plasma to the incredible level and plasma rounds.
Laser: Laser weapons are extremely powerful energy weapons which fire lasers via a focusing barrel in the weapon. Laser weapons are very accurate, effective at almost all ranges, and highly damaging, but have heavy and expensive energy cells and can't be used to quickshot because they must charge every shot.
Pure Energy: Pure Energy weapons fire pure electricity, fire, cold, etc, out of the gun which supplies the energy and uses energy cells to power it. It typically does high amounts of damage and lasts a long time on an energy cell, but suffers limited range like plasma weaponry, and suffers from low accuracy.
Sets:
Pistol: Pistols are easily concealable light weapons that tend to be the lghtest weapons but pack less of a punch on average than other weapons. Light.
SMG: Sub-Machineguns are light rapid-fire weapons that rely on fire rate to be effective, riddling unarmored opponents with bullets but glancing off of armor. Light
Rifle: Rifles are medium-sized weapons which fire single-shot or semi-automatic clips, accurate at medium to short range, firing fairly large shots, while still being fairly effective at long range. Light.
Assault Rifle: Assault Rifles are fully-automatic rifles which fire medium-sized shots at a high rate of fire. They're effective at fighting armoed and unarmored targets, but eat ammo and cells like a hog. Light.
Shotgun: Shotguns are close-ranged weapons which fire small shots at non-straight directions, creating a spread which is devastatingly effective at close range but fails to be effective at medium to long range. Light.
Sniper Rifles: Sniper Rifles are large weapons which are designed to fire large shots accurately at high range. Unfortunately, they're too heavy and clunky to use at hshort range effectively. Heavy.
MAchinegun: Machineguns fire large shots at a very high rate of fire. They are very heavy bu still light enough to be held and fired. Heavy.
Heavy Machinegun: Heavy Machineguns fire very large shots at extreme speed, but are so heavy they must be mounted to be used by all but people with insane strength. (People with +3 modifiers to strength can hold these and fire) Heavy
High-Caliber Rifle: High-Caliber Rifles fire extremely large shots at a single-shot or semi-automatic rate of fire, accurate at around short-medium range, although still usable at long range. They are clunky and large. Heavy.
Ordnance Launchers: The definition of heavy weaponry, Ordnance Launchers have heavy shots that are devastating with splash damage, hitting things around them with masive damage. THeir shots are very expensive and heavy and take a longer time to reload though, not to mentinon they are heay ad slowing when in shoulder-mounted position. They are effective at medium-long range, but at short range one risks the range of blowing himself up.
Melee: Melee is its own category and set, and requires no proficiency. Melee weapons are compeltely different between each unique weapon, and only share their range of melee only.

Spell Categories and Sets:
Abjuration: The category Abjuration is protective and banishing spells- ones that create force or elemental energy to bind enemies, or bind attacks from reaching casters. The three sets of Abjuraon are as follows: Protective, stuff like shields, Banishing, spells that forcibly move a creature to a different location, and binding which restricts a target.
Conjuration: Conjuration refers to the creation of solid objects, stuff like making walls of steel, and vanishing and creating something at a different location, aka teleporting. The sets of Conjuration are creation and teleportation.
Divination: Divination refers to magic that detects things and finds out information. The two sets of Divination are detection which finds out informatino about areas, items, or people, and scrying, which directly watches or listens to areas.
Enchantment: Enchantment refers to spells which control the mind of an individual. The two sets are charm, which alter target's mind to make them percieve themselves, a second target, or the caster in a different way, and dominate, which forces the target to do something.
Evocation: Evocation refers to spells which create pure energy to use in magic, most often offensively. THe sets are the energy types, Fire, cold, electricity, sonic, and force.
Illusion: Illusion spells are spells that affect the mind to make it see or hear or feel things that aren't real. There are two sets of Illusion, figments which are simple fake illuions, and phantasm, partially real spells which are made of shadow but if not detected act like the real spell and only do partial effect if detected.
Necromancy: Necromancy deals with the magic of raising dead, maniuplating Imbued energy and life force. There are three sets of Necromancy: Death, which affects dead things, and directly killing things via removing life force, Life, which deals with other manipulations of life force, and Energy which deals with manipulations of Imbued energy.
Finally, Transmutation, which changes existing objects in some way. Transmutation is a category and a set as it only has one set, transformation.

Now some final rules to lay down:
I don't care who your character is oriented sexually, but I'm not describing sexual activities. And no rape. Period.
I won't describe things to be exceptionally gory, and I won't include profanity in any of my post. I'll censor it in the quotes.

Please join, this took me hours to make.
1. Draignean
Character Sheet:
Name: Drennen Iben
Age and Description: 89 years old Iben has the good genetics require to retain a normal looking amount of hair, granted it's almost entirely grey now instead of the black that it once was, but he's earned that. He wears a suit that went out of fashion a couple decades ago, a paisley tie, and a set of wire rimmed glasses. (He could never bear contacts or laser eye surgery) Taken together he looks like a librarian's grandfather who would fall over in a stiff breeze.
Imbue Status: Imbued Mage

Stats,

Strength: 0
Dexterity: 0
Constitution: 0

Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 8

Skills,
Conserve Energy: 4
Defensive Power: 4

Weapon Knowledge: Traditional Bullet, Pure Energy 
Weapon Proficiency: Traditional Bullet Pistols, Pure Energy Shotguns.
Specialized Training: Illusion (Phantasm)

Bio: Iben is an old man in mind as well as body. Before the stone he was a great-grandfather, a happy man who had led a full life and had resigned himself to his fate, a death surrounded by family and friends. When the stone detonated in Chicago it wiped out two generations of his family, leaving him alone in this world on his vacation. His children are dead as far as he knows, he outlived all of his other relations and his wife died having their second child sixty years ago.  He is not so young and brash as to "live for Death", but Death is an old friend he will greet warmly when it comes.

2.Imakuni
Character Sheet:
Name: Ima
Age and Description: (Also obvious:) 23, medium length white hair (began greying as a teenager) and goatee, medium height and weight, serious, older looking face, (which, along with his white hair, makes him look quite a bit older than he is) dark brown eyes, and a light skin tone. Has an authoritative voice, but doesn't really bother talking much to people he doesn't know well.
Imbue Status: Imbued Warrior
Stats: 10 constitution, 0 dexterity, 8 wisdom, 8 strength (Is 14 the cap for character creation, or the cap for the characters period? I don't understand why it would go up to almost +2 otherwise, since there would be no reason to raise it past 8.)
Skills: 4 points to heavy armor, 4 points to regenerate health
Bio: Family defected from Hades's kingdom due to his malevolence to the kingdom which the characters are currently fighting under while his mother was pregnant with him. When he was a teenager, though, his father had a change of heart, and returned back to the malevolent god's kingdom and told them about the boy and his mother. She was killed, but he managed to escape into the wilderness and found refuge with some deserting troops of Hades's army and learned how to fight and use spells. He is now enlisting into Freya's army in order to avenge his mother and fight against malevolent gods like Hades.
3.Character Sheet:
Name: Sonia Cavaliere
Age and Description: 25 years old, 5'7, 131 pounds. She has sleepy brown eyes, black hair cut rather short, a Mediterranean skin tone, and a tendency to keep things slow and easy. She's a good mage, but she could have been so much stronger than she is now if she just bothered to apply herself. She likes to wear loose clothing that isn't hard to move in, such as long skirts, flat-soled boots, and hooded robes. Her favorite color is blue, so her clothing tends to be some variation of the color intermixed with brown.
Imbue Status: Imbued Mage (Specialty is Conjuration: Creation)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Constitution: 8
Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 3
Charisma: 3
Suggestion for the god followed: Freya.
Bio: Sonia was born with a spark of magic; specifically, a calling towards creation and summoning, like the Goddess her family followed. Seeing this as divine inspiration, her family and fellow villagers encouraged her to work at this power and nurture it. Because of that she's a bit spoiled and because the power came so easily to her she's a bit lazy as well. She's not really used to the idea of fighting, but figures if her Goddess gave her that power she'd better use it.

Gauss/Traditional and Pistols/SMGs for weapon picks.
4. Talarion
Name: Casaeron Syrth
Age and Description: Early - mid twenties, medium length light brown hair, hazel eyes, pale skin. Casaeron is a very nondescript person, with average features. He is of average height and build, and doesn't stand out much in a crowd.

0 Strength
10 Dexterity
8 Constitution
0 Intelligence
8 Wisdom
0 Charisma

Combat:
4 Athletics
Imbued:
4 Offensive Power
Bio: Casaeron has never been a very skilled person. He wasn't overly good... at anything. No matter how much he tried, it seemed he was always second. All through his life, from the moment he was born, he has been put behind the people around him... so much that now, he believes it is his duty to support those around him.

As for weapon set... Gauss/Rifles
Spell Set: Evocation/Sound

Wait list: Taricus, wolfchild.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:18:20 pm by Powder Miner »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Thearchy: A Sci-Fantasy.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:16:54 am »

Reserved.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:46:50 am »

Character Sheet:
Name: Ima
Age and Description: (Also obvious:) 23, medium length white hair (began greying as a teenager) and goatee, medium height and weight, serious, older looking face, (which, along with his white hair, makes him look quite a bit older than he is) dark brown eyes, and a light skin tone. Has an authoritative voice, but doesn't really bother talking much to people he doesn't know well.
Stats: 10 constitution, 8 wisdom, 8 strength (Is 14 the cap for character creation, or the cap for the characters period? I don't understand why it would go up to almost +2 otherwise, since there would be no reason to raise it past 8.)
Skills: 4 points to heavy armor, 4 points to regenerate health
Suggestion for the god followed: Hephaestus, son of Zeus and Hera, the Greek god of technology, blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals, metallurgy, fire and volcanoes. How dwarfy is that???
Bio: Family defected from Hades's kingdom due to his malevolence to the kingdom which the characters are currently fighting under while his mother was pregnant with him. When he was a teenager, though, his father had a change of heart, and returned back to the malevolent god's kingdom and told them about the boy and his mother. She was killed, but he managed to escape into the wilderness and found refuge with some deserting troops of Hades's army and learned how to fight and use spells. He is now enlisting into Hephaestus's army in order to avenge his mother and fight against malevolent gods like Hades. (If Hades is the god we follow, then, uh, replace it with somebody else, lol.)

I thought we weren't supposed to list our weapon/spell proficiencies since they were customized, but everybody else is, so I will too just to be safe. :P Binding and High Caliber Rifle are the two sets.

Oh, and how much is the starting weight limit?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:51:23 pm by Imakuni »
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:57:55 am »

Character Sheet:
Name: Sonia Cavaliere
Age and Description: 25 years old, 5'7, 131 pounds. She has sleepy brown eyes, black hair cut rather short, pale skin, and a tendency to keep things slow and easy. She's a good mage, but she could have been so much stronger than she is now if she just bothered to apply herself. She likes to wear loose clothing that isn't hard to move in, such as long skirts, flat-soled boots, and hooded robes. Her favorite color is blue, so her clothing tends to be some variation of the color intermixed with brown.
Imbue Status: Imbued Mage (Specialty is Conjuration: Creation; Weapon Cats/Sets are Traditional/Gauss and Shotgun/SMG)
Suggestion for the god followed: Freya.
Bio: Sonia was born with a spark of magic; specifically, a calling towards creation and summoning, like the Goddess her family followed. Seeing this as divine inspiration, her family and fellow villagers encouraged her to work at this power and nurture it. Because of that she's a bit spoiled and because the power came so easily to her she's a bit lazy as well. She's not really used to the idea of fighting, but figures if her Goddess gave her that power she'd better use it.

Spells
Create Ammunition: A spell that creates heavy metal pellets for use in light Gauss weaponry. (Conjuration: Creation)
Earth Barrier: A spell that causes the ground in front of her to rise up into a wall about one foot thick and three feet high, to be used for cover. (Transmutation: Transformation)

Inventory
Rune of Creation: A mark Sonia was imbued with, positioned on the inside of her right wrist. It has a chance of greatly increasing the power of any Conjuration: Creation spell she casts without costing additional energy, but it's limited to that specific set and even then only works 25% of the time.

OK, how's this?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:19:12 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 03:10:55 am »

Reserve please. Will put up sheet soon...

Name: Casaeron Syrth
Age and Description: Early - mid twenties, medium length light brown hair, hazel eyes, pale skin. Casaeron is a very nondescript person, with average features. He is of average height and build, and doesn't stand out much in a crowd.
Suggestion for the god followed: Cthulhu. (What? What do you mean we can't worship Cthulhu?)
Bio: Casaeron has never been a very skilled person. He wasn't overly good... at anything. No matter how much he tried, it seemed he was always second. All through his life, from the moment he was born, he has been put behind the people around him... so much that now, he believes it is his duty to support those around him.

As for weapon set... Gauss/Rifles
Spell Set: Evocation/Sound

Is this... about right? Aside from stats, that is.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:46:35 am by Talarion »
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 04:28:15 am »

in on the waiting list
(damn just missed it)
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:39:34 am »

Waiting list or Villan
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:29:10 am »

The stats are just a point buy. You have 20 or whatever I said in there points you can put into the stats, and for every eight a stat gets, it gives a bonus for whatever the stat says. e.g.
Jim has his points, he spends 8 on strength and 4 on Dexterity Constitution and Intelligence. HE then allocates hisk points from being an IMbued warrior for 8 dexterity and 8 intelligence, so he has a +1 in Strength stuff Dexterity Stuff and constitution stuff.

As a mage, you don't have a specialized category, you get one of the sets in those categories.For example, you could have Conjuration (creation) and so be really good at creating things Conjuration (Teleportation) and be really good at teleporting, or the set I forgot to put in there, Conjuration (summoning) and be really good at summoning stuff.

Also, I knew someone would pick Cthulhu. Also, sorry about the confusingness fi sime of my rules, I started 7PM at night making this and went til 10:30. Glad peepz joined.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 10:39:15 am »

Ah, OK. Will specify that in my previous posts. What I meant though was how many skill points do I have, if any, to spend on stuff like Regen Health?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:52:56 am »

Regen Health is an Imbued Skill, and being an IMbued mage, you get 8 Imbued skill points.
So Weight loads work like in DnD, a light load which induces no penalties is under 33 pounds with no strength upgrades/43 with one strength, Medium loads are 34-66/44-76, and medium loads give a -1 to athletic rolls. Heavy loads, 67-100 lbs/77-110 pounds cause your run speed to drop to only 3 times your speed.
You can lift 100/110 pounds over your head and walk or even hustlee with it, but you can't run with it. You can carry 200/220 pounds off of the ground but can onyl stagger around with it, aka walking only. And you can push or drag something along the ground that is 500/550 pounds at half speed, 5 yards.
Because I probably made speed unclear, and didnt mention it first post:
Everyone's base speed is 10 yards. This represents 6 seconds of unhurried walking. It takes a turn to just leisurely walk like this, you probably won't be doing it. You can hustle, which either lets you move twice that speed in a turn or lets you move that amount and quickshoot/hit somebody with something. You can't move while aiming. ANd finally you can run. It takes an entire round to do so, but you can move 40 yards in 6 seconds, or 30 yards with heavy loads or heavy armor. However, the third roudn and on, you need to make an athletics roll to not run out of stamina or trip or something.
Yes I based the movement and weight load system off of DnD.

Also, SC, stats don't start off at anything above zero, their base is 0. I think you put too many points into your stats....
Also,14 is the creation cap only.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:03:42 am by Powder Miner »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:08 am »

Yeah, you're right. For some reason I was like 'derp 6+6+6=18 I still have two points left over' twice. Will edit, one moment.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 11:49:51 am »

Whoa, woke up with qwerty rash...

Spoiler: Drennen Iben (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:54:48 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 12:53:36 pm »

Ah, I see. Could you put the 2 points I had in dexterity in constitution then? Now that I know it's just a creation cap. :P
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 01:30:55 pm »

OK, it's all set up. I'll be putting out the gear and stuff right now, and will start everyone off seperately, like Draignean did in Dev-22. >.>
Once Talarion puts up his stats.
For now the gear.

Anyway, the God that will be followed is... *randomly rolls*
Freya, Norse Goddess of Love, Beauty, Fertility, Gold, Seior (A Norse magic), War and Death.
Editing Gear in in a sec.
Meh. It'll take me forever to get the weapons done. Tell me what generic kind of starting weapon or spell or rune you want, and I'll make it ino a final weapon for you.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:28:18 pm by Powder Miner »

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 03:19:13 pm »

What do you mean by imbued weapon? I don't see it on the list of weapons. :/

But, other than that, I want pretty much a spell that freezes someone in place and a high caliber rifle. I don't really know how specific you want us to be with that, I can be more specific if you want though. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3