Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Elf Retreat! (v1.2)  (Read 17342 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Retreat! (v1.11)
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 01:56:48 pm »

In my opinion our elf civs should accept wooden items.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 02:06:12 pm »

Are you planning on merging normal elves and this mods elves or have this mods elves become a different civ all together...
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 02:17:18 pm »

Sounds like a loyalty cascade, Shintaro. And yes, they can use copper wood as the basis for tending wood but the reagent should be preserved (Unless I got the PRESERVE_REAGENT the tag. I was kind of going off memory because it was a quick fix).

The next release will feature your ents, as well as the ability to trade wood to your civ.

Ultra, the elves in this mod are a different civ altogether. These elves are more ruthless, and are willing to spread "forests" to other biomes, such as tundras and deserts.
This means you'll be visited by two elf civs in the Spring. The hippies, and the controllable leather-mask wearers with berserker castes.
I'm considering altering the entity file of this mod's elf civ a bit more to allow for different items and equipment. It makes sense that they should have access to leather on the embark screen, for example. On an unrelated note, I'm also planning to add in another workshop that allows the harvesting of water at a very small rate, maybe. Thoughts on that?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 02:21:41 pm »

On an unrelated note, I'm also planning to add in another workshop that allows the harvesting of water at a very small rate, maybe. Thoughts on that?
Great idea. Make sure to add useless big workshops that look like a part of a forest so we can create an elf retreat on a glacier.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 02:28:11 pm »

On an unrelated note, I'm also planning to add in another workshop that allows the harvesting of water at a very small rate, maybe. Thoughts on that?
Great idea. Make sure to add useless big workshops that look like a part of a forest so we can create an elf retreat on a glacier.
That's the idea :D

I've been embarking on tundras like a mad man trying to figure out what needs to be done in order to survive in a freezing biome with these guys.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 02:30:57 pm »

Oh yeah, and note that the ents are pretty fragile because they're made of wood.
That's okay though, they could still rip apart a goblin even if they have a broken hand, they don't feel pain.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 03:29:50 pm »

Last I checked you can't make large serrated disks anymore. The elves can't dig. They can make cage traps, and I guess any other kind of generic mechanism-trap provided they somehow get access to the required items. They have different names for various professions, and have a special 1-in-10 berserker caste that I have yet to actually see go berserk.
Hm, no LSDs? Wait, that acronym is taken...oops...Anyways, what weapons can they make?

Oh yeah, and note that the ents are pretty fragile because they're made of wood.
That's okay though, they could still rip apart a goblin even if they have a broken hand, they don't feel pain.
Sounds like that would make them stronger, at least compared to organic enemies.

Also, idea: Maybe these elves should be called something different. Maybe they reject some elvish customs (like sitting in plain wilderness or eating enemies or not accepting wood or something) and the elvish creature would be renamed (at least the general name, for the civ screen at embark) to something like "Fallen Elf" or "Dark Elf." Thoughts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 03:50:13 pm »

At the moment they can make spears, bows, short swords, and long swords. After the next update, replace "Short sword" with scimitar and it's basically the same. You can always trade with dwarves or humans or whatever for stuff like large serrated disks if you want them that badly.

Changing their name was something I considered, but I'm not entirely sure what to change it to. They aren't dark, nor are they "fallen". If anything, they're a cultural off-shoot that's a little more willing to kill things and a little less careful about the environment.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 04:03:23 pm »

I like the sound of this mod and shall try it after my current fortress.
Changing their name was something I considered, but I'm not entirely sure what to change it to. They aren't dark, nor are they "fallen". If anything, they're a cultural off-shoot that's a little more willing to kill things and a little less careful about the environment.
So they're slightly more liberal elves? So how do Renegade, Liberal, or Radical elf/elves sound?
[Liberal in the context of progressive or less restricted]
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »

Or maybe War Elves? Maybe also  make them bigger, stronger, and...well...dumber than most elves.

Any trap weapons? Giant corkscrews at least?
Normal-sized corkscrews?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2011, 04:13:21 pm »

You don't even have corkscrews. The elves can't dig, so where would you pump the water too anyways?
They've been renamed Wild Elves. Unsure if this will actually show up in the embark screen/legends or not, as it isn't a caste name.

V1.2 up
Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:16:47 pm by thatkid »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Retreat! (v1.2)
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2011, 04:31:23 pm »

Ents have treetiles and drop logs?
Why didn't I think of that?
Oh and the glen's bugged.
It just gave me a "plants".
Growable plants don't use subtypes.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:59:01 pm by jaxy15 »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 05:09:27 pm »

Ents have treetiles and drop logs?
Why didn't I think of that?
Oh and the glen's bugged.
It just gave me a "plants".
Growable plants don't use subtypes.
Blech
I basically just copy and pasted the product from an adventurer reaction I made for another project that I knew for a fact worked due to arena testing. That will be fixed in the next release, whenever that is.

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2011, 09:10:41 pm »

I am so gonna try this...hope I do not get lynched for playing this.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2011, 02:16:54 am »

I am so gonna try this...hope I do not get lynched for playing this.
Do it quietly, the elf haters have a guillotine ready.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5