Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "The second age of myth"  (Read 1844 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
"The second age of myth"
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:30:09 pm »

This just happened to me during worldgen: The world stayed in the age of myth until the year 57, when it moved to the age of legends (Legend of Forlorn Realm's added civilizations tend to kill megabeasts, somehow); this wasn't odd, until, about 0.3 seconds later, during the year 58, the second age of myth started. Screenshot:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13790475/Second%20age%20of%20Myth.png

Here's another screenshot, showing the description given for the second age of myth:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13790475/Second%20age%20of%20Myth%202.png

Screenshot showing entire age of legends:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13790475/Age%20of%20Legends.png
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:32:39 pm by Putnam »

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
Re: "The second age of myth"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:16:15 am »

Age of myth us where gods and stuff exist (don't know about gods, but beast do)

Age of legends is where the heroes and stuff are the most (i believe)

and the second age of myth is where megabeast and stuff out beat the heroes and stuff again.

Followed by Age of Xname (rare, only frequent in small worlds) Age of Xrace (more common depending on world) and Age of nothingness (or something) and so forth.

Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:34 am »

and the second age of myth is where megabeast and stuff out beat the heroes and stuff again.

Followed by Age of Xname (rare, only frequent in small worlds) Age of Xrace (more common depending on world) and Age of nothingness (or something) and so forth.

Aren't the ages based off a percentage of megabeasts/titans remaining, though, not counting ages like death, emptiness, golden, racename, or beastname?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 03:07:03 am »

I had an "age of fairy tales" show up once.  Unfortunately that means that the world is pretty dull so it got turfed :P
where is up?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:06:55 am »

Aren't the ages based off a percentage of megabeasts/titans remaining, though, not counting ages like death, emptiness, golden, racename, or beastname?
Yes, your megabeasts got a bit unlucky and all died (age of legends) and than stop dying but started getting more children. So you got a higher percentage again.

There is no order of ages. Some only come after other (myth > legends > heroes). But not always, you can always get one of the more special ages or your current age will never end.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Calendar#Ages

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 02:14:09 pm »

Could be that you got to legends by kill lists on your soldiers.  Then you lost enough heroes to slip back into myth.  The general mechanism between the myth -> legend -> heroes is not fully understood.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:05:48 pm »

So, it's probably dragon/roc children?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 06:58:34 am »

Megabeasts getting children can be verified by looking in legends.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:07:33 am »

So, it's probably dragon/roc children?

Almost certainly. Well, not dragon children if Forlorn Realms didn't change the dragon and hydra raws to add the child tag, but plus whatever reproducing megabeasts FR adds.

Fun fact about the almost - In a mod I once managed to get an Age of Three Powers, which then turned into an Age of "Megabeast" and "Titan", going back to a Second Age of Three Powers, and back to the Second Age of "Megabeast" and "Titan". Because one of the races in that mod had a rare caste with the POWER tag, and during world gen, one of them was elevated from the entity populations to a lord, who then later died again. So if there are similar POWERs in the mod, that too could have happened.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 04:17:31 pm »

Aatxe can have children, but those are semi-megabeasts; Wyverns, Behemoths, Manticores, and Land Movers are all megabeasts. Female land movers lay eggs. Female wyverns do, too. When it comes to power, there are only two creatures, and I've never seen them escape the underworld. It seems that all the megabeasts can have children.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:03:58 pm »

Shit. This world that I have has six ages of myth/legend due to a particularly promiscuous wyvern (LFR megabeast). Damn interesting wyvern, too. Its name is "Nifi Ivoryheats the Bejeweled Glow" (appropriate name for a dragon if I ever heard one), a Nephal (LFR civ) cult surrounded it on the midspring of 108 (34 seperate Nephilim started worshipping it at the same time). The next year, one of those Nephal realized that this thing was evil and tried to kill him. The Nephal died. The Wyvern had 16 children, which explains all the ages.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 05:20:08 pm »

LFR tends to cause a lot of that first, second third age crud. I know I got to something like the 30th age of legends on a particularly long gen with lots of beasts.