Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What level of condemnation should I receive for this act?  (Read 6259 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What level of condemnation should I receive for this act?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 12:01:17 am »

that is evil. pure unfiltered evil.... though it'll be interesting to see how the next guy copes with the sudden loss of several critical fortress areas. and the resultant tantrum spiral from losing half the populace.
I'd consider myself lucky to be on the receiving end of that Dwarfpocalypse. At least it's only a few years in. If he hadn't been the second, then they might actually be mad.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 12:04:53 am »

Thing is, the very first rule of the succession game was to not intentionally destroy the fort, which noodle very specifically did. This is a heinous act; breaking ones word (to other dwarves) is terrible. The only oaths that should be broken are those made to elves.

You do not deserve to be part of any succession game ever again! Also, since you're clearly an oathbreaking goblin, you deserve to be dropped off a cliff onto spikes and your clothing sold - to ELVES!
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:45 am »

Thing is, the very first rule of the succession game was to not intentionally destroy the fort, which noodle very specifically did. This is a heinous act; breaking ones word (to other dwarves) is terrible. The only oaths that should be broken are those made to elves.

You do not deserve to be part of any succession game ever again! Also, since you're clearly an oathbreaking goblin, you deserve to be dropped off a cliff onto spikes and your clothing sold - to ELVES!
It's not destroyed, it's merely... in a dwarfy state of disrepair. And it sounds like it sucked anyway.

Definitely fit to kick him out of the succession game. It's highly unlikely he'll do this again, so he should be allowed in plenty of others. It's not like there's a list of "People Banned from Succession Games" so people might just trust him less.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 01:34:56 am »

The one thing I find truly morally abhorrent about your act is that the floor hatches aren't colour-coordinated.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 05:19:45 am »

If you wanted to be truly evil, you would have played with cave-ins and temperature turned off.
Then you would have made a special magma bath for your dwarves, so they would be nicely coated in the stuff at the end of your turn, and constructed large floating platforms in the sky ready for the next player.

Of course the next player will start his turn with cave-ins and temperature turned on...
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:19 am »

You are a soulless asshole. I applaud you.
By the way, the guy that was running that succession game was really hyper, and his reaction was hilarious.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 11:26:00 am »

You did the right thing.

Reading the thread the entire thing seems like it was really just TheMaster trying to troll people into creating his own Boatmurdered. He intentionally built a messy, useless fort with overpopulation and workflow problems so that the people following him would be all "SRSLYWTF!"

You did do a couple things wrong, though:

1) the mechanism wasn't hidden enough.
2) you advertised the existence of some sort of surprise laying in wait.

The hardest thing to learn about chaos is how to plant the bomb and just walk away.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 11:29:51 am »

What level of condemnation commendation should I receive for this act?

FTFY
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 12:19:06 pm »

I mostly approve. You could have had a little more fun by creating an entry trap for elves goblins, and *also* linking it to the self destruct caveins.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 12:25:18 pm »

meh, nothing wrong.
the one wrong would be the overseer who didn't pause game at the beginning and looked around to see what was around.
While it's true one should not destroy a fort, it's true you didn't actually destroy it, you just laid there a bomb.
and probably, a smart after overseer would have seen it, noted it, and stopped it with a wall, then when is turn was just over, removed the wall and let the flying bomb to the next one.
a sort of "scorching potato" game.
even more, being the fact that they were so directly connected to important stockpiles, one should immediately check wherever orn ot the previous overseer placed them in hazardous areas (to near the magma pumps? Really?)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 12:46:17 pm »

bwahahaha. also, the OP of the succession thread has some serious issues. all in all, if you're going to nuke a fortress this should be the way to do it, not breach HFS.

just that OP needs some therapy if he can't take a fortress being rigged in such a genius way.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 12:54:52 pm »

None. At all. That fort and that thread needed to be sunk.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 01:41:01 pm »

Yeah, I once played a succession game where there were multiple traps laid by the previous overseer, who was taking his in-game character of a paranoid delusional a bit too seriously. XD They included such things as:

The lever to block the front door was hooked up to a collapsing ceiling above the legendary dining room

The lever labeled "Flood the farms" did no such thing; it flooded the bedrooms instead

Collapsing floors hooked up to dwarf-sensitive pressure plates in many important offices and workshop areas

However, being a halfway competent overseer, I noticed the ceiling trap right away and fixed it; I then re-read his turn, looked at all the hints he dropped, and disarmed all the traps but one which I missed (the trade depot was set to fall twenty z-levels at the pull of an unlabeled lever that was right next to the entrance-blocking lever).

Personally, I think you gave that OP exactly what he was looking for. He wanted a disaster of a fortress, and you delivered spectacularly. If you ever pull that on an actually good succession game, though, I will gut you.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 03:21:27 pm »

Heh heh. I've apparently earned a spot in 'Boatmurdered 5.0 or whatever the hell we're on."

Eh, I could be some random troll mook.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 03:33:26 pm »

You did the right thing.

Reading the thread the entire thing seems like it was really just TheMaster trying to troll people into creating his own Boatmurdered. He intentionally built a messy, useless fort with overpopulation and workflow problems so that the people following him would be all "SRSLYWTF!"
OK REALLY!? I GOT MAD, ALRIGHT!?
First off, it was never DESIGNED to be a succession fortress. It actually was my first REAL fortress that didn't end up becoming abandoned in the winter. it was an experiment. I just thought that people would enjoy it's utter madness. theres no reason to start a hate community. all I can do is say is that I'm sorry for the way I handled noodle's traps. Looking back on it, the whole roof collapsing thing was actually quite funny. Again, I truly am sorry for how I acted.

FYI, I haven't given up. when I say I want to do something, I do it. As I said in the thread, "LONG LIVE THE OUTRAGEOUS BOAT!"
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:35:44 pm by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 [2] 3