Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Infested Planet (EPIC game)  (Read 13922 times)

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infested Planet (EPIC game)
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »

Just a question, is there any mechanic that makes this different from Paper Zombies? Or is it just new graphics, different sets of weapons and mutations, maybe new buildings? Is there destructible environment, neutral monsters, I don't know. Just something to differentiate this from Paper Zombies. If there is I'd seriously consider getting it. Maybe if you add a campaign or something.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2011, 09:39:18 am »

Well, the maps are much different from the looks of it. The previous game had a couple of almost rectangular obstacles here and there, but this one has something that looks like a genuine cavern. Should have more chokepoints and stuff like that :)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2011, 09:49:53 am »

I guess the main thing that's holding me back is that making a good demo is quite hard.  You can't just package the first 2h and call it a day, because then the demo is full of tutorial.

This is especially tricky for a strategy game like Infested Planet, where there's a lot to learn.  I don't want to put people off with a vertical learning curve.

At the moment, this is my biggest issue with the game; The tutorials just don't seem to end! You get money for completing tutorials so you don't want to skip them, but they're a bit unnecessary. I liked the grenade and ammo one and the first one showing how BP works and stuff and that's it, I don't need more tutorials :(
Might I suggest that you have one tutorial that shows all the buttons and how it works and be done with it? Right now, the game is just to slow before it gets challenging

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2011, 11:42:18 am »

I didn't say I wouldn't buy a game that didn't support ESDF, but it is one of those things I have come to expect from games that indy games don't always provide. There are a lot of little qwarks that have a deep impact on my ability to enjoy a game. All things we have come to expect from game studios but indy guys miss because the team is small or they don't have the resources.

It is easy to forgive them when the game is under 10 dollars, but harder when it is more. When you decide to put a $15 price tag on a game, I feel like you are committing yourself to a different level of quality, a level of quality I have no way of knowing if you lived up to.

My suggestion for the demo: Pick your favorite mission, pick two tutorials that will most likely be key to wining that mission (avoid stuff like "how to control the camera or select your men) and include those. Then pick the mission that is most different from your favorite one and include it.

I have seen very little hostility in this tread. Indy developers make the games they want to play first and hope to make money at it last. In general they do the first part pretty well, but struggle with the last. I don't think anyone has been hostile. I know my goal has been to say "Here is what average joe will say when you tell him about your game, are you ready to respond?"

Alex Vostrov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2011, 12:36:45 am »

Just a question, is there any mechanic that makes this different from Paper Zombies? Or is it just new graphics, different sets of weapons and mutations, maybe new buildings? Is there destructible environment, neutral monsters, I don't know. Just something to differentiate this from Paper Zombies. If there is I'd seriously consider getting it. Maybe if you add a campaign or something.

If you're looking for totally new mechanics, Infested Planet has research that allows you to buff your entire team.  It's kind of like a mutation for the marines.  There's a whole bunch of other new things - infested human structures, crates that you have to drag back to base, twice as many unit types, a bunch of new buildings, tons of new mutations.  There's a campaign where you unlock new tools - that's being improved with each patch.

At the moment, this is my biggest issue with the game; The tutorials just don't seem to end! You get money for completing tutorials so you don't want to skip them, but they're a bit unnecessary. I liked the grenade and ammo one and the first one showing how BP works and stuff and that's it, I don't need more tutorials :(
Might I suggest that you have one tutorial that shows all the buttons and how it works and be done with it? Right now, the game is just to slow before it gets challenging

I'm working on shortening the tutorials in the future versions.  A lot of players appreciate a full tutorial, so I still want to have that.  At the same time, advanced players like yourself should be able to skip that stuff easily.

I've just returned from a talk with a lot of designer friends and they gave me a lot of suggestions for improving the first few missions.

I didn't say I wouldn't buy a game that didn't support ESDF, but it is one of those things I have come to expect from games that indy games don't always provide. There are a lot of little qwarks that have a deep impact on my ability to enjoy a game. All things we have come to expect from game studios but indy guys miss because the team is small or they don't have the resources.

Fikes, you'll be happy to know that adding custom key bindings is on my list.  I've just added an audio volume options screen too, so Infested Planet is good on that front.

Anything else that bugs you about indie games?  I think that we should have the same perks and options as AAA games.  Just cause we're indie, doesn't mean that the players should suffer bad UI and customization.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2014, 11:36:34 am »

<necromancy>

Sooo, this is on a small sale on Steam. Does anyone have any opinions on it they'd like to share? I've had my eyes on it since it came out, but I dunno... It's gotten mostly positive reviews that I can see, so I'm wondering whether to get it for $10.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2014, 11:54:46 am »

Huh, never heard of this. I enjoy the art style, might give it a try.

Edit: I don't see 'infected planet' on steam.

-Derp-

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2014, 02:40:25 pm »

Caved in and got it. I suggest you watch some Let's Plays, since they give you a pretty good idea of what you're going to be playing. The basic gameplay is simple, but deep enough, and you're always busy "stemming the tide"! If you enjoy that kind of gameplay, you'll enjoy this! Lots of tactics, going back and forth, unlocking new things throughout the campaign!

I really like it!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2014, 02:44:24 pm »

Does it have the same barely controlled chaos feel that things like harvest and creeper world give you?

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2014, 03:52:00 pm »

After playing for a few hours, I can say it's pretty fun, although it feels like a flash game.

It's not bad, it's actually pretty good, but it's definitely not a complicated game. You have some marines, who are good at shooting things. Their job is to clear the area of alien hives, which they do by killing the hordes of creeps it spawns and slowly making their way toward the hive so they can kill it. You have BP, which you get for clearing hives, which you can use for buying weapons, buildings or more marines (or marine capacity, since they respawn after they die). The basics are simple, but it can get pretty hard. After a few levels, the hives start spawning turrets, which poison your marines and kill them, and at roughly the same time you unlock healers (unless you're an idiot and buy the one level boosts instead), which outheal the turrets. The maps then get multiple pathways and more hives, which means you now have to balance using BP to help your marines take bases, as well as to protect your bases with turrets. Then, once you get comfortable, the hives start getting mutations, which do things like spawn mines, heal buildings and make spawn rates increase when a hive is captured.

They definitely nailed the pacing. So far, I haven't felt out of depth, but I haven't gotten too complacent either. I haven't lost, so far, but I've gotten quite a few nasty surprises. There might not be much complexity to the game (might get more complex later on), but what it does it definitely does well.

I'd say if you don't mind games that are lacking in mechanics, as long as those mechanics it has are good, this game might be for you. If you like games like Creeper World, where you have to balance your resources and slowly make your way to your objective, then this game is probably for you. Personally, I really like the game.

Does it have the same barely controlled chaos feel that things like harvest and creeper world give you?

Pretty much. You have to build turrets to prevent the creeps from taking your bases while you push for another, which means you have less BP for your marines, which means that they might get horribly murdered, and you lose your bases while they respawn. The first levels are easy, but they get gradually harder and more uncontrollable. I'd say it's a bit easier, since your resources are more of a unit cap than something you lose, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Edit: About what I said about it not being complicated early, you definitely get more options later on.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:03:23 pm by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2014, 04:31:22 am »

Back in 2011 this came out still in development for $15 and I stated that it was too expensive for me to give it a blind chance. I bought it a few months ago for $9.99 and had a great time with it. It feels much more solid than a flash game or at least feels like a very solid flash game. It is a great time waster for an hour per sitting, but there isn't a whole lot of depth. I think it's a good game and you should definitely consider picking it up when it hits your personal price point for taking a risk on games. Unfortunately right now there is a deluge of shit hitting the steam store almost daily as Steam has allowed every mobile game and every piece of budget-ware directly onto the store while still making quality devs jump through greenlight.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]