Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Infested Planet (EPIC game)  (Read 13926 times)

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Infested Planet (EPIC game)
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:54:38 pm »

Hey everyone. This week I'll talk about Infested planet, an upcoming indie game by Rocketbear games (which strangely enough does not feature any rocket bears.)

In it's current state (still in beta) it offers a really great combat engine in which you must fend off literally thousands of enemies. Theres a series of control points on the map, and the enemy spawns in ridiculous numbers. The coolest part is, the worse off the enemy is at any given moment, the more they mutate.

Mutations are basically abilities that the enemy game in order to get an edge in battle over your small 5 (or 6) person squad of marines (that can be decked out with different weapons and abilities upon research.). The fact of the matter is that the enemy plays smart, flanking areas that I had already taken, and eventually gobbling me up whole.

It's a really epic concept, and it seems to be programmed by a single man/machine code god. 

The page itself is www.infestedplanet.com

Let me know what you guys think!

JULY 16 RE REVIEW AND THOUGHTS

The game itself is great, once again, I didn't play paper zombies so I could argue that as it is a new and fresh idea to me, the value has not been dumbed down.

Overall, it's an awesome game, with a weekly patch cycle that adds new stuff, the dev is really focused on giving the player what he or she wants, and makes an effort to do so.

He's already offered a discount, and the possibility to KEEP THE GAME FOR FREE IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

I honestly don't know if you guys have read that, but jesus, what dev does THAT?

I think that should be the ANTI bitching/whining/complaining argument here.

Yeah it might be 15 bucks or whatever, but if you don't like it, screw it, you get it for FREE.

Go for it, take the plunge, play the hell out of it, STOP WHINING (ARNOLD VOICE), and if you have any secere problems with it, just shoot the dude an email and he'll give you back your precious monies!

I'm going to go keep playing!

As for whether it is defensive or offensive, I have found myself defending more than attacking in this game. Last night I played a match where I would have taken probably ten minutes, had they not sneakily attacked my rear guard and overtaken four points in less than a minute. I was left with just one point, and had to defende against an inveritable HORDE of these guys for over ten minutes before I managed to push through the north, swing to over to the east, cap a point surrounded by natural land barriers, and then SLOWLY make my way back.

It took an hour and twenty seven minutes.

A FUN hour and twenty seven minutes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 05:23:10 am by alexpoysky »
Poysky Productions

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Infested Planet (EPIC game)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:58:03 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what did you talk about last week?

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:04:46 pm »

2 weeks ago, SPAZ, space pirates and zombies. AWEEEEEEEEEESOME
Poysky Productions

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:16:33 pm »

Hmm... Sounds an awful lot like Attack of the Paper Zombies...

*Googleing*

Huh, looks like it's the same guys turning it into a more visually attractive game? Didn't really look into it too much, but it could be fun. I remember rather enjoying the tactics involved in Paper Zombies.

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:19:12 pm »

Looks like fun. I shall bookmark it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 06:26:44 pm »

Hmm... Sounds an awful lot like Attack of the Paper Zombies...

*Googleing*

Huh, looks like it's the same guys turning it into a more visually attractive game?

No need for the question mark, that's exactly what it is. Looks like some new weapons for the squaddies and new mutations and such, but the trailer definitely makes it look like basically AotPZ 2. Not necessarily a bad thing :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:30:11 pm »

Glad to hear you guys like it! It's a blast ;)

Poysky Productions

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:13:18 pm »

It's hard to charge $14.99(normally $19.99) for a beta pre-order when we have access to such deep indies for $9.99 and less now. It looks interesting, but I think it would do much better at a lower price-point given it's features, graphics and time until reaching market.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:44 pm »

Yeah, not my kind of game, specially for that price.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 11:35:18 am »

Maybe true about the price, but it is REALLY solid. That's what surprised me about this beta, it felt finished, through and through.
Poysky Productions

Alex Vostrov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 02:37:34 pm »

Hi Soulwynd and hemmingjay,

I'm the guy who made Infested Planet.  You're right that it's tough to plonk down $15 for a game you've never heard of.

I spent the last year making Infested Planet the dream RTS game.  If you gave it a chance, I think that you'd find it to be deep and replayable.

Since you're not sure if the game's worth it, I'll make you a deal.  If you buy the game and you think it's a waste of your money, I'll give you a complete refund.  You get the keep the game for free.

How does that sound?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 02:49:31 pm »

What is this? Both your names are Alex!

Its an alexpiracy! Im after your moneymaking schemes for world domination!

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 02:51:59 pm »

Sounds like you need a demo.

Not to belittle indie developers, but it's still a fair comparison of the genre; I didn't buy C&C nor Dawn of War 2 when it was on sale, cheaper than 15 bucks. Then again, RTS is not exactly a genre I like, there are only very few exceptions.

If you don't feel a demo is appropriate or that you perhaps don't have the means to make a demo right now, getting someone like TotalBiscuit, for example, to make a first impression video of your game would potentially give you a boost in sales and marketing.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 03:06:22 pm »

Sounds like you need a demo.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 03:49:32 pm »

This looks interesting. I'll wait for some more B12 reviews before I think about purchasing, but I do like the concept.

I have to agree that there are tons of great indie games for $9.xx and under right now (I've bought dozens from Steam in the past few weeks) -- but I don't know anything about selling games. Or making them.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5