Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fallout-themed MUX  (Read 2333 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Fallout-themed MUX
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:38:19 pm »

A few years back I spent a LOT of time working on a Fallout-themed MUX. For those of you who don't know what MU*s are, there are a number of other threads on the forum about them, so you could do a search or just find out more via Wiki/Google.

Anyway, there is a website devoted to the game here: http://fallout-mux.wikidot.com/start

For the most part, it is completely intact (and pretty detailed). IIRC there were a few things I still needed to work on at the time it fell into disuse, but after some quick browsing it looks like most of the essentials are there.

Now, as for the game itself: I have a COMPLETELY described, coded, and extremely well-fleshed-out MUX already finished (I *think*). I'm pretty sure I have the whole thing backed up on a CD that I've got with me and the MUX could be re-upped within a day or so, assuming I felt like arranging hosting and there was enough interest.

By 'completely coded' I mean that I spent a lot of time designing a very interactive combat system replete with GM tools, chargen, an item creation/management system, an interactive in-game map, statistics, yadda yadda. The whole works is there. I was designing/coding some supplemental systems (vehicles, among others) but everything needed for intensive RP and combat is there. So yeah, this is every MU*-headwiz-wannabe's dream: a completely game with functional chargen, combat, and a willing coder. The only hook is that it has to be Fallout-themed, of course.

So, this topic is mostly just to see if there would be any interest in picking things up. I will make a few conditions here:

1. In order to restart this, I would want a staff of at least one or two other EXPERIENCED MU*ers/roleplayers willing to do the GMing. If I'm going to be doing any coding for the game I won't have the time to devote to GMing and doing all the extraneous, fun plot stuff, except on a voluntary/sporadic basis.

2. See *EXPERIENCED*. It may be a bit dickish of me, but I can't be bothered to try starting a game that is bound to flop due to general lack of staff know-how. I don't require people who have spent a decade MU*ing or anything, but experienced roleplayers are a must at the very least; technical knowledge about MU*s is a big, big bonus.

3. I am picky about what I consider 'decent roleplaying'. Again, probably dickish of me, but let me be blunt: if you can't write a small paragraph's worth of interesting action-script/'posing', I probably wouldn't consider you for RP staff. I have no interest in requiring players to be paragons of writing ability, but the staff at the very least should be willing to design and act out interesting, attention-grabbing plots via decent writing skill and imagination.

4. I like a bit of silliness and fun, and a willingness to let players get away with more than they probably would be able to with very serious, 'professional' GMs. It's more important to make the game fun than 'realistic' or 'difficult' as long as you can retain a fair-minded attitude (i.e. don't pick favorites and spoil them). But if a group of players tries to steal a blimp or take over a bunch of ruins as a base or do something that might be frowned upon by super-serious types... fuck it, let 'em get away with it sometimes! It's a game, right? (But not too easily. Throw some challenges and nasty surprises at them, too!)

5. If interested parties voice said interest but don't like something about the game setup (the theme, grid/map design or description, factions, whatever) I am willing to allow devoted/creative types artistic license to redesign things. This game has been sitting on a backup CD for a couple of years and I don't see any reason that the code should go to waste even if the setting is scrapped. Besides, my writing isn't that great, and if somebody else comes along with better ideas, I'd gladly serve in a mostly-just-coder-type capacity.

So, I will leave this posted and check back on it to see if anybody is interested.

Oh, and an important note: this game considers Fallout 1/2 to be canon. Anything from the Bethesda games is NOT canon, although it may or may not be used at the discretion of the (as-of-yet nonexistent) staff.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:48:30 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout-themed MUX
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:52:55 pm »

Oh, and another quick note. If you're wondering what kind of RP you might be able to expect on such a game, there are a few examples in the 'logs' section. I think they're of a combat-y nature and use the rolling/combat system, though it's been a long time since I read through them. I do not make any claims to being a great GM, so pardon any plot inconsistencies/general crappiness.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:37:41 pm »

No interest at all, huh? I'm frankly a bit surprised, but maybe it's for the better. Cult needs my attention, anyhow.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:16:00 pm »

I bet this would get more attention in Other Games. Creative Projects is notorious for being as slow and lifeless as a museum at times.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 01:12:46 am »

Hey I just happened to pop on by and might consider taking a role with the project. I am not the type to get all excited, pitch in a bit here and there and then fizzle. I am also not the type to take on something like this without further thought and discussion, but I would like to have those discussions.

Slashie over at Slashie games is working on some new projects. He just went full time so we might expect a bit more productivity out of him. Anyway, I just pitched an idea about making his PixelWorld game into more of a graphcal MUX type game with a special client for GMs to use to create awesome RP adventures for folks.

I have long been a big fan of Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds and have been a player and a DM at times on some hardcore RP servers. Been all through a slew of plot lines and I think I have a feel for whats fun and whats just not in an online game.

So, lets talk more. Lets see if other people get interested. More people might jump in if there is some momentum, who knows? And dont give up so soon, this section of the forums is a bit slow, but it might be the right place until the game is playable in some way.
I got nothing

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:14:28 pm »

Well, good to see there have been a couple of replies to this, at least.

Went ahead and moved it to 'Other Games' in the hopes that it might catch a little more attention. The game itself is pretty much completely coded, so if the project gets rolling it's not lacking for actual software/etc.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 05:31:38 am »

Perhaps you can elaborate a bit more?  I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my skull around this whole thing.

Do you need GM's to watch the player's every move, to build the occasional plot, to resolve player arguments, all, some, or none of the above?

Would it be possible to run this in a sort-of autonomous way, such that user could view it, then the smartest and most creative would get "drawn into" GMing?

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 05:36:13 am »

I'm interested. I've not done anything with MU* stuff, but I learn quickly and I'm a damn good GM.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 06:46:53 am »

Whats the codebase?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 09:17:20 am »

This sounds cool.
I'm a very avid and active roleplayer, but I don't know a lot about MUX particularly. I've played numerous MUSHes and MUDs before, but never staffed in them.

I'm an admin for a roleplaying community outside of MU*s, but I don't think that counts too much!

Either way, I'm still interested in playing. It looks like it's a very interesting game, and I love the Fallout setting.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 10:28:00 am »

Perhaps you can elaborate a bit more?  I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my skull around this whole thing.

Do you need GM's to watch the player's every move, to build the occasional plot, to resolve player arguments, all, some, or none of the above?

Would it be possible to run this in a sort-of autonomous way, such that user could view it, then the smartest and most creative would get "drawn into" GMing?

Build the occasional plot, resolve player arguments (hopefully not frequently), learn to use and control the NPC/battle/item systems - that about covers it, methinks.

Players running their own mini-plots and stuff is also cool, although only GMs can create NPC objects at the moment (perhaps I'll change that if it seems like a better idea).

Busy day today, but I'll try to drop in later and add some more info.

@Detrevni and dragonshardz - Awesome! Maybe I'll toss the game server up somewhere and get things spinning. MUX is pretty much identical to MUSH - very minimalistic and text-heavy (with a little color thrown in for flavor). The coded systems on the game are fairly complex, though.

@MrWiggles: MUX.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 01:39:35 pm »

I may or may not be extremely interested in this, depending on several factors.

1.  Is this closer (codedly) to a MUD or a MUSH?
2.  How much knowledge of the Fallout world/lore would you deem neccessary for a player or staff member?
3.  What in your opinion makes good RP?
4.  Permadeath or not?
5.  What restrictions would you place upon RP?  Would violence/torture/sexual content be allowed?
6.  Will players need their character applications to be reviewed and accepted or rejected by staff?
7.  Is RP mandatory?  If so, what actions should be taken against those who do not RP or consistently play 'psychopaths' as an excuse to PK?
8.  What are the rules regarding player killing?
9.  Any rules about IC - OOC separation and communication?
10.  Are there clans/guilds etc?  Can you tell me a little about them?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 04:38:43 pm »

I may or may not be extremely interested in this, depending on several factors.

1.  Is this closer (codedly) to a MUD or a MUSH?

Closer to a MUSH, although it is pretty far on the "MUD-dier" side of the spectrum. It's unlikely you'll find many MUSHes (aside from WoD games) with such complex combat code. But it is not as graphically friendly as a MUD and the focus is on RP, not leveling or grinding or using the code as a traditional single-player 'game' as MUDs typically do. In this environment you wouldn't level up/experience statistical growth WITHOUT roleplay.

2.  How much knowledge of the Fallout world/lore would you deem neccessary for a player or staff member?

For a GM, I'd probably require that you've at least played through Fallout 1 or 2. Exceptions might be made depending on experience and general skill level.

3.  What in your opinion makes good RP?

That's a pretty open-ended question. I can enjoy multiple types of RP. I prefer more detail-heavy, story-like RP for my own part, but the nice thing about a game with a heavy focus on code-determined successes/failures is that just about anybody can join in and have fun. So, I suppose that would be my biggest requirement for 'good' RP: that I'm having fun, along with whoever I'm roleplaying with, of course.

4.  Permadeath or not?

Yes. In a setting like Fallout's and with combat-oriented RP, I prefer results that 'matter'. That said, death shouldn't be too likely if you're somewhat cautious with your character. Bigger risks, bigger rewards. But of course the RNG can always throw a curveball or two. :)

5.  What restrictions would you place upon RP?  Would violence/torture/sexual content be allowed?

Violence and torture I don't care too much about, and Fallout is supposed to be pretty nitty-gritty, so I don't think anybody will be expected to pull any punches (which means all players should be of age, yadda yadda). Sexual content I'm not too keen on and I would probably keep private-only with a 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' type setup. If you want a game about sex in public, there are lots of those, but I'm not really interested in running one.

6.  Will players need their character applications to be reviewed and accepted or rejected by staff?

Yes, but it's pretty much just a rubber-stamp situation to make sure nobody generates anything completely out of canon/setting, and so the GMs can work with people to help introduce them into plots if they want. For the most part it should just be a very quick look-over; I don't want anyone waiting longer than a day or so for approval, and ideally if there's a staff member on it should pretty much be immediate. The only time somebody might get rejected is if they try to generate something that's obviously not from the Fallout universe.

7.  Is RP mandatory?  If so, what actions should be taken against those who do not RP or consistently play 'psychopaths' as an excuse to PK?

RP is not enforced, there'll just be no character growth without it, so it is what you make of it. As for PKers, I want staff who are smart enough to deal with it via common sense. There is no way to write a single comprehensive answer and players should be monitored on a case-by-case basis. If it's obvious that somebody's just playing a PK troll, they can be dealt with individually. No reason to punish ALL players for the actions of one or two.

8.  What are the rules regarding player killing?

Allowed, as long as somebody isn't using it just to be an OOC arse.

9.  Any rules about IC - OOC separation and communication?

Yep. I've got a file for it in the rules on the game, but I can't pull it up at the moment. But IC/OOC separation will be enforced. I should note I am not so uptight about IC/OOC that I care whether people discuss IC things in OOC, though - as long as they're not basing IC actions on OOC information. Mainly I just expect players not to use OOC information as a way to cheat.

10.  Are there clans/guilds etc?  Can you tell me a little about them?

Since the game isn't running at the moment, no. There are a number of factions; check out the pages on the wiki for more information. I would love to see motivated staffers/players start up their own groups.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:42:41 pm by Lord Dullard »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 04:53:51 pm »

This looks pretty promising, and i'd love to apply for a GM position. I've been Rping in alot of games for two years, not alot of experience in any MU's though, but im willing to learn. But either way this looks pretty damn cool.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.