Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Steam Account Hijacked Via Single CD Key  (Read 8058 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Account Hijacked Via Single CD Key
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:51 am »

Even better: I get those emails all the time despite me not using any computer other than this one :V

Steam? More like Steaming-pile-of-shit.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 04:40:31 am »

More ridiculous; I can't even get on my steam account because its installed on another computer (this one before wiping the drives). They say they email you a security password, but I never got one. When I get around to using steam again I'll have to tell steam support I guess.

Ridiculous.

If your email is set up correctly it should work fine. This is user-error most likely.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 04:45:12 am »

Unlikely. I had that where I could get the email from steam itself, but not the webpage. Meaning I could only log into the steam store using steam :/

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 04:51:16 am »

last week, with all the summer sales and such, i bought a game and when i tried to download it i got kicked off steam (no connection, just steam, internet connection was just fine), after a few seconds it tried to log me back in and told me that the computer i was trying to log in with wasnt registered to my account, which was funny since i logged in not 10 minutes before that on the same computer. it forced me to do the whole registering thingy with safety words and email. i told them to fuck off (well... i would have if i had been speaking to them) and closed down steam. i restarted 5 minutes later, logged in just fine and it started downloading as if nothing happend.

steam is far from perfect... and i hope i dont get any worse screwups than this, but i think that's just a fools hope.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 06:32:05 am »

Actually, if this happened, you could legally hop on any number of nautical sites and legally torrent/download the games you bought. IIRC, at least.
Sorry, I feel the need to respond to this. Torrenting (and other p2p) is never legal* even if you own the game, because it involves uploading, which you definitely aren't allowed to do. Pure downloading is legal grey.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 06:34:06 am »

Actually, if this happened, you could legally hop on any number of nautical sites and legally torrent/download the games you bought. IIRC, at least.
Sorry, I feel the need to respond to this. Torrenting (and other p2p) is never legal* even if you own the game, because it involves uploading, which you definitely aren't allowed to do. Pure downloading is legal grey.

At least one may consider it morally acceptable if they're normally against P2P downloads.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 07:01:36 am »

i'd like to point out that not everything you can get through torrenting is illegal, there's a lot of non-copyrighted or freeware available this way. free2play mmo's sometimes use torrents to distribute their client and even some software bought on the internet can be made available this way.
the internet is perfect distribution platform for those who want to sell/distribute their material/programs with a minimal cost. torrents are really cheap since you dont have to pay any fees and dont need a lot of bandwidth since it's the users that provide most of it.
ofc the same method is used for nautical purposes, but it's the same for any method of distribution when it comes to software.
if you bought a copy of a game and the EULA doesnt clearly state you cant replace a lost or stolen copy without permision, then you should be allowed to download a new copy from whichever source you want. uploading might then be questionable but that depends on the intentions of the person downloading from you. sure it's all rather dodgy but if the publisher/distributer doesnt replace your copy, it's your best option. worst case scenario it they take you to court to dispute your claim to said copy. considering the only alternative is to take them to court, you'd end up in the same place anyway.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 07:15:54 am »

I don't think he was saying that torrenting is always illegal, he was saying torrenting games that you had previously purchased/that aren't free is always illegal.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 07:21:34 am »

I don't think he was saying that torrenting is always illegal, he was saying torrenting games that you had previously purchased/that aren't free is always illegal.

If I was a cool game dev, I'd add a clause to the EULA that made it legal to torrent for personal use if one owned a legal licence of the game but had a broken disc or whatever...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 09:04:56 am »

It's a pity everyone isn't you as a cool game dev then.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 09:40:06 am »

The problem is that the Game Devs don't have control over distribution, that's totally the realm of the publisher, whose main goal is to get money.  Game companies that actually own their own publishing outlet are pretty rare - I can only think of two off the top of my head.  So, if a regular developer was caught meddling in the distribution business when they already have a publisher there could be serious financial repercussions.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 01:02:58 pm »

I had a 13 year old hotmail account I used for everything that had a weak password. The account got dictionary-broke so I changed the password to a strong one and promptly forgot it. Then I failed to recover the password 600 times and lost that old hotmail account.

At the same time I forgot my Steam password. I put in a help ticket to get my password reset and a new email address put together. It took about 3 days.

Steam has to protect your account from hijacking. At the same time Steam has to give you the ability to get access back when you screw up. In both cases Steam is protecting you from your own stupid actions.

There very few things only you can know about your Steam account. Password, CD keys, and credit card numbers. Steam assumes none of these things are shared, as they should. As such they are all vital for account recovery.

Let's look at what happen to me. I needed a password reset but didn't have access to the email anymore. Lets say my credit card expired recently and I had shreded it, losing the credit card number. If I didn't have the option to provide a serial number, my account would be gone. Unacceptable.

When you share this information you open yourself up, Steam doesn't open you up. Now two people are claiming an account. Both have important unique information. Why is there any surprise that it would take a while to get this sorted out?

Who cares if he had the credit card infromation? That is only one piece of the puzzle. What if you had used your girl friend's credit card (with her permission and paid her back) then she wanted to fuck you over by taking the account? What if the credit card was stolen?

The simple fact is that it takes time to sort this crap out and it is nothing more than user error. It just like downloading games off lime-wire or some torrent site and then blaming Microsoft for the viruses on your computer.

User. Error.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 01:23:03 pm »

Not all errors are caused by the user.

Your email provider can vanish. Your email provider can get hacked. Someone in the ISP can snoop your shit.

It's less likely, of course, but the last thing that should be important to steam is a scanned CD key, which can be photoshoped easily. I think you failed to grasp the bullshit. Here, *rubs it on his face* The bullshit is the scanned CD key.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:42 pm »

He gave sensitive information (The CD key) to someone else and it got into the hands of someone dastardly.  I don't see how that's anything but his fault.

It's more the fact it's possible to claim an account via a single CD key.
I was really happy to be able to do that with my only retail game (Orange Box) after I forgot my password and the secret question was an unanswerable "What did Steam Support last reset your password to?" (cause I had never reset my password)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:29:07 pm by LASD »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »

I think the secret question should be:

"Why didn't you set up your secret question?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3