Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Steam Account Hijacked Via Single CD Key  (Read 8056 times)

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Account Hijacked Via Single CD Key
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:58:05 am »

He gave sensitive information (The CD key) to someone else and it got into the hands of someone dastardly.  I don't see how that's anything but his fault.
Shoes...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:59:58 am »

Not to mention once he proves that most of the games on his account were bought from a credit card under his name, Valve will almost certainly get back to him and sort it out.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:03:10 am »

He gave sensitive information (The CD key) to someone else and it got into the hands of someone dastardly.  I don't see how that's anything but his fault.

It's more the fact it's possible to claim an account via a single CD key.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:05:28 am »

Man if that happened to me I would fucking die.
I've spent so much on Steam.

Hmm, wait no.
I would still be able to play the games, but not online if the online service was through Steam.
Never mind, I'd be fine. I don't play multiplayer.

It's more the fact it's possible to claim an account via a single CD key.
It's ridiculous.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:09:20 am »

Maybe it's ridiculous, but I'd be willing to bet if they required more there'd be a thread on here saying "This guy's account got hijacked and he couldn't get it back because he didn't have enough info to prove it was his.  That's ridiculous"
Shoes...

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:21:18 am »

Actually, if this happened, you could legally hop on any number of nautical sites and legally torrent/download the games you bought. IIRC, at least.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:26:48 am »

I'm about halfway through the thread that was linked, and yeah. Evidently, since they got the CD-keys of the first couple of games on the account, the person who took the account gets to claim it was his all along, despite the actual owner having receipts for every other purchase.

Edit: Near the end, he got it back on the 7th of july.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:29:14 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 03:34:58 am »

Maybe it's ridiculous, but I'd be willing to bet if they required more there'd be a thread on here saying "This guy's account got hijacked and he couldn't get it back because he didn't have enough info to prove it was his.  That's ridiculous"

Sure he could; he paid with them with a credit or debit card (or other form of payment) in his own name, and could prove that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 04:01:09 am »

Most ridiculous bit was that he provided the credit card info, the paypal info along with the paypal transaction numbers. He said he could take a photo of himself, holding his ID and his credit card, in front of his house with his address so they could check it on google maps and they asked for a CD key scanned because that was more important.

In my case, I don't have a single physical CD key for any of my games in steam. I don't have any games that haven't been bought or gifted through steam. I'd never even remember or bother saving one of the CD keys of the games I have in steam.

I bet the douches would still ask for a scanned CD key and I wonder how I would recover my account. -_-

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 04:15:04 am »

I bet the douches would still ask for a scanned CD key and I wonder how I would recover my account. -_-
Talking from experience: yes and not at all.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 04:18:59 am »

Is simple.
Step 1: Buy all games with Paypal.
Step 2: In event of Steam being a jackass and refusing to give your account back, chargeback the money.
Step 3: A) Steam freaks and gives the account back, or B) You get your money back and can go do whatever.
In the case of B)
Step 4: Party.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 04:28:07 am »

Wait, how does chargeback work?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 04:32:38 am »

More ridiculous; I can't even get on my steam account because its installed on another computer (this one before wiping the drives). They say they email you a security password, but I never got one. When I get around to using steam again I'll have to tell steam support I guess.

Ridiculous.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 04:35:39 am »

Even better: I get those emails all the time despite me not using any computer other than this one :V
Pages: [1] 2 3