Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Platinum as armour  (Read 8363 times)

Earth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Platinum as armour
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:29:29 am »

Hello,

Does anyone know how useful Platinum is in regards to armour? I've gotten a platinum left gauntlet in one mood, and just then got myself a platinum shield.

Anyone know?
Thanks.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum as armour
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:31:56 am »

Its heaviness will make that shield useful - shields all protect the same, and shield bashes are blunt attacks, so the heavier the better.

Not sure about other platinum armor. Artifacts are usually good armor in their own, though.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:06 am »

The shield may be good for bashing skulls, but I'm not sure how good it is at blocking.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:44 am »

Blocking is dependent on quality and not material IIRC. That shield is as good as any other artifact shield with regards to defense.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:42:35 am »

if you get lucky and get a full set of platinum armour, give that to your royal gaurd just to show how ricjh you are. gold and silver may also be accepted
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:10:54 am »

Platinum shield = best. Platinum gauntlet = probably crap.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:21:19 am »

It'll likely make the best shield ever. But you don't want normal armor being that heavy. They wont be able to keep up with anything with the weight of a full suit of that.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:24:04 am »

Make him into Captain America... have him rush into combat, using the shield to bash in the heads of hordes of gobbos.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 02:48:59 am »

If platinium is anything like gold/silver you should probably just let that gauntlet lie somewhere in a vault.

The shield on the other hand... dorfs sometimes like to hit enemies with the shield and a heavy artifact shield made of something as heavy as platinium will probably do something hilarious like... break a few bones in one go.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 03:02:02 am »

I can already imagine the KATUNK of the shield colliding with Goblin thief skulls.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:14:20 am »

Oh, if only you could build a dworf portable guillotine. Mount it on somebodies arm and have at it!
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:33:51 am »

Platinum shield is the best shield you can get.

Platinum left gauntlet (really, just one?) is pretty crappy.  Platinum lacks the strength to be good armor, it shatters relatively easily, and it can't hold an edge.  It's only useful for blunt weapons, and a shield is a weapon, and for making things expensive.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 10:00:47 am »

In Armorsouls, the macedwarf routinely staves in skulls with a WOODEN shield, albeit a masterwork one. And artifact platinum shield? Awesome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 03:12:07 pm »

Platinum is heavy and worse for protection than copper, but better than non-metals. The gauntlet is therefor, far from optimal, but the artifact bonus might make it comparable to a copper gauntlet.

Shield block effectiveness is not affected by material, but the extra weight will make it hit harder when used to attack. And since it's an artifact, it won't melt in the presence of magma or dragon fire. The bad news is it will become a !!shield!! instead.

If one of them meets mr. magma, use it to lure in thieves.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 03:29:51 pm »

Platinum is magma-proof, so no worries there.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: [1] 2