Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Platinum as armour  (Read 8361 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum as armour
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 03:40:17 pm »

Platinum is magma-proof, so no worries there.
Oh, snap! So it is.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 03:53:52 pm »

If that gauntlet is good, it depends on if Glove/gauntlet weight affects punching damage.  If so, then it will be a devastating weapon for an unarmed dwarf.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

If that gauntlet is good, it depends on if Glove/gauntlet weight affects punching damage.  If so, then it will be a devastating weapon for an unarmed dwarf.
This requires some science. I will have to test this.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »

platinum armour is, due to it's weakness and flexiblitity, SHITE!

give it to the captain of the guard, just to slow him down so he can't reach urist mcfailedmandate.

So he'll train strenght? Rather not.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 08:03:50 pm »

platinum armour is, due to it's weakness and flexiblitity, SHITE!

give it to the captain of the guard, just to slow him down so he can't reach urist mcfailedmandate.

So he'll train strenght? Rather not.

Give him all the heaviest armor possible. He wont be able to catch offending dwarfs as easily.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 09:20:15 pm »

CURSES! the damn arena gave the dwarves only 1 gauntlet, and I don't feel like redoing the testing right now. Oh well, here's the results anyways...

I tested 294 pairs of combatants. Every pair had an elf with no skills, average attributes, random personality traits, and no equipment. Each elf was paired with an enemy dwarf with average attributes and random personality traits. Half of the dwarves had a copper gauntlet equipped, and half of them had no gauntlets equipped. Every dwarf was a grand master striker.

Each pair of combatants was placed in a 2X1 room completely isolated from the other pairs. They fought to the death.

The results:
Of the copper gauntlets group, 34 of the elves emerged victorious. Of the no gauntlets group, 29 elves emerged victorious.

conclusion:
Offhand, the gauntlets didn't seem to make much of a difference. In an unarmed fight, a little hand armor wasn't likely to make much difference in survivability, so it is safe to count that out as a significant factor. And if the gauntlets had an effect on the damage of the punching attacks, it would make the punches stronger because of the added weight and strength of the material. The results, however, show more elves survived against the dwarves with the gauntlets than those without, further supporting the idea that the gauntlets did not help the dwarves. The difference in surviving elves was probably just random, and further testing would even out the data a little bit.

Feel free to do more testing on the subject.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:29:07 pm »

I seem to recall at one time Toady mentioning that he hasn't put glove materiel having any effect on unarmed strikes (yet).  And the ‼SCIENCE‼ looks to confirm.   It would probably get put in at around the same time he makes punching a steel breastplate unhealthy for the attacker's hand.

And yea, that platinum shield is probably awesome.  The reduced speed from the extra weight is likely insignificant if not nulled completely by the user's strength, it has the artifact bonus to striking and blocking, and probably shield bashes like a mac truck.

The gauntlet is shiny garbage.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 04:20:30 am »

You could also assign your bad-for-armor-metal artifact armor to a single noble in a squad by himself so he can stroll around the fort in his finery. Acting like a mobile happy thought generator.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 09:55:59 am »

You could also assign your bad-for-armor-metal artifact armor to a single noble in a squad by himself so he can stroll around the fort in his finery. Acting like a mobile happy thought generator.
FINALLY! A more practical use for nobles. Not that impractical uses are bad either.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 11:41:56 am »

Well, the platinum gauntlet can't be used to punch people, so as others said, it's useless. On the other hand, if someone who's wearing it gets it torn off and brought against their skull for a while (I've seen troglodytes do this), terrible amounts of fun will ensue.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 11:44:05 am »

A noble with an artifact platinum gauntlet? 

I imagine it looks something like this:

:P
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.
Pages: 1 [2]