Should Orb do this?

Yes.
- 5 (35.7%)
YES!
- 9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: July 13, 2011, 10:42:40 pm

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interest Check: You are actually a Scrin Terraformer Commander!  (Read 2979 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

So, an idea came to me that it might be fun to host a forum game related to the efforts of a Scrin Commander trying to terraform an alien world.

I have no idea if that will hold true.

Nevertheless, if you'd be interested in me blundering about with this idea, vote in the poll above.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:40:13 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: You are Ichor!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:28:30 pm »

...Er, how will it work? Because the Tiberium itself wouldn't be interesting, considering it's ordinary day is:
growgrowgrowgrowgrowmutatemutatemutategrowgrowgrowharvestedharvestedgrowgrowgrowexplode.
Mutants, eh, depends on what the mutant actually is.

...The Scrin, however, are a completely different story.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: You are Ichor!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:38:51 pm »

I see your point.

Yah, not much to do when you're Tiberium. Though exploding can be fun.  :P

I'll modify my idea into some sort of Scrin thing.

"Edit" Main post updated.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:41:30 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: You are actually a Scrin Terraformer Commander!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:17 pm »

sounds cool!
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:56:49 pm »

Could work...but in my opinion, you would have to...

1. Invading multiple worlds. Lets start with a little stone age planet we roflstomp and learn how to conquer. Then a world like the 1950's-INVADERS FROM BEYOND! Then, modern world. Gets harder, cause the population can fight back, and has nukes. Then a crapsack futuristic world where we get a decent military challenge. For a finale, our Commander could be invading a world where the Tiberium Infestation is being nearly defeated by the native lifeforms-they've learned how to fight it, and how to use it for their own benefit. We are actually inferior technology wise, and they have the numbers and home turf advantage-and are about to start exploring space themselves. Alien Invaders=underdogs!

2. Victory Conditions are either annihilation of all sentient opposition (unlikely unless Tiberium levels reaches critical mass) or construction of Scrin Towers to summon the rest of our people.

3. Make ASCII World Maps-unique planet IMO, Earth would be too easy. Make the spread of Tiberium visible to the players.

4. Expand and/or break the Lore-let players think up new types of Scrin units and tactics, new strains of Tiberium...

5. Think up a simple combat/resource/building system. Easy.

6. Likewise, let players imagine up enemy races, units and factions. I like this idea, so I'll help you write up the lore if you want. I love lore. Lore lore lore.

7. Should say-different factions and nations, naturally. They might be more interested in fighting each other than us.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RoryTehNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »

Sounds like a good idea, I agree with Dwarmin. I'd love to join in you decide to do it.
Signatures are displayed at teh bottom of each post or personal message.

Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 379

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:28:18 am »

Well, poll is auto-locked and stuffs, and I think there's enough interest to start this.

However, my ideas are often specific and don't stack up to a very enjoyable game. Ideas so far:

1)You start with a selection of ship types, each specialized in a specific field. As you gain wealth, you may buy more.

2)Some sort of economy balancing system, you can either harvest tiberium for its mineral wealth or its radiation wealth. Mineral wealth will allow you to clone more drop pod soldiers, add attachments to your ship, create bases on the ground, and so on. While radiation wealth will allow you to essentially mutate(research) upgrades or new types of structures/units. Both carry over, so naturally striking a balance between your army and research is imperative. Sort of think of it like StarCraft's resource system. Very high tech units might require radiation just to create.

3)Alien Newspapers describing the events unfolding, and hacking communications to either lie communicate with alien life of your peaceful intentions, or simply predicting enemy movements. Of course, writing Newspapers is out of my league. Anyone is welcome to take that lore position and create a newspaper whenever you want.

4)Several mutations of tiberium that can be acquired for different stages of planetary domination. Naturally, they mutate in this order ---> Weed:Semi-Plant:Crystal. I'm not positive the Weed was actually tiberium or if it was just a mutated plant, but nevertheless I'll just stick it in there. At the beginning you'll only have semi-plant unlocked, and won't be able to even have weeds until later. Just to clarify, as tiberium spreads it will naturally mutate to the next form until it reaches crystal. Most often you'll just be using weed as a combat weapon, since keeping track of growth of up to three different species could be a pain.

5)All ideas Dwarmin wrote down go here. I'm going to probably just take them all word for word. This means any lore is up in the air. I suck at lore. This is also where creating units comes in using radiation. Naturally, there won't be any "unlockable" mutations, because honestly then you would already have them if you knew about them, right? Perhaps I'll set up some fixed cost upgrades, but that's it. I'll also set the price for the mutation/minerals depending on how powerful/useful I view it.

6)Possibility to return to mothership(which floats just outside the system) for reinforcements, however this will take awhile depending on your vessel and the aliens will have advance by then.

7)Each ship will have a special weapon to use in bombardment or defense. Some ideas:

Battleship: Mounted Distortion Warp Space superweapon thingy. Causes chaos in the selected area and heavily damages all buildings and armies. Would only wipe out a small town/outpost. This will naturally make the population hostile to you.

Support Vessel: Can abduct aliens to gain mutation points. Will naturally make the population hostile to you.

Terraformer: Has an on board field of tiberium, while not worth it to harvest due to how small it is, it will occasionally create a tiberium drop pod(read: Tiberium-filled Asteroid) to use on planets.

Some others too, but I think that's good for now.

8)Finely, some sort of limited supply system, to compound with the mutation/mineral shortage. You'll have to purchase tiberium drop pods by selling your minerals to the mothership(this can be done instantly on already colonized planets due to their Scrin towers, so stocking up after missions is important). Everything else you'll guys have to research and send the plans to a factory on board the mothership if you can't build it on board.

9)I'll try to think of a combat system before I start it, and some example units. Suggestions are welcome for this, as with any of my other ideas.

TL;DR
Orb is swamped with ideas and is wondering which he should ditch and keep. He also has no imagination so he'll need other people to create lore. Orb hasn't thought of a combat system yet, and might need some help with this so that its enjoyable. Orb is likely to start the forum game after going to sleep, if he has the chance.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:33:35 am »

This looks intriguing, though I have no idea what Scrin is  :P

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 01:03:54 am »

Scrin: Alien race from CnC. Which essentially set everything in motion.

Also, I got the Scrin Alphabet sitting around here, in case you need Scrin writing. And we doing anything with the known Scrin units and the cults?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:15:08 pm »

Being sick does not help for creativity. I'll wait to start this instead of starting it, then losing all steam.

Also, I didn't really know there were Scrin Cults. Unless I'm just not remembering. Scrin units might be the example units.

I've also been considering how special abilities might work. I'll probably just make them researchable and can be plopped onto any customized unit.

Rough Combat System: A/D/HP: Attack is added up, defense is added up, HP is added up. Any attack that is over defense causes damage to HP. Units with weakest HP die first, and so on. For every round of combat, a 10% attrition rate occurs, to prevent defense spam or steam rolling armies. If a partially damaged unit is left over, it dies as well for simplicity reasons.

There will be 1 round of combat per update, though this may change.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »

Y'know, the Reaper and Traveler factions in multiplayer? Well, they're more like Castes, but still.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 06:02:33 pm »

If you need any maps made, just toss me a message, I'd like to get some more practice with them.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 06:03:06 pm »

OOC: Hows this? I actually made if for another game that never panned out.

American Union News

Rome  -----  London  ----  Paris  ----  New York  ---- Berlin
Whats the good word?
10c

MARCH TO WAR?
American Troops to fight the Visitors?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Troops on the Move to combat 'Strange Invaders"
American troops mobilized in the coastal united States nearly overnight responding to wide scale reports of 'strange invaders'! Who are these mysterious visitors? What have they come for? Why do they bring the strange green crystals wherever they go?...the move was swiftly decried by the House and Senate, who said that the president was 'abusing his position' and 'risking a larger conflict with forces we don't yet understand'...the dissapearance of the U.S.S Enterprise, sent to investigate sightings of these strange beings in the Marshall Islands, has set the country on high alert...The President will be making a radio adress this sunday to calm the nation...

Government issues health Warning
The State Department made a statement last evening, responding to public inquiry about the strange alien growths which begun to appear in some places. "We caution the public to report sightings of these 'spore trees' to local government officials. They are highly toxic to most plant and animal life-we urge citizens to not approach the trees, or try to take their crystals which sprout at their base. We're building refineries in every major city to safely transport the crystals away from civilian populations. while we...

'Crystal Hunters' reportedly making great profit
The phenomenon of the Green Crystals had not only caused widespread fear-but widespread profiteering, as ordinary citizens have begun to collect them and sell them to local scrap refiners, who have learned to extract the precious metals located within for sale.

Some Hunters were qouted as saying...

'The Government says it's 'dangerous', sure and so unemployment at 15%. If I can feed my family and pay off my bills while getting rid of this stuff, what do they care? Anyway, i'm being careful to always weak my mask and gloves, at all times.'

-John Bris

'I've got at least a thousand dollars in a week-that beats any job. From what I hear, this stuff just takes the iron and gold straight from the ground...it's a miracle, that's what it is.
-Randall West

'So what if I've got the sniffles? I don't feel so well since I accidently touched one of them, and my skin feels all weird, but that's no excuse to pass up the opportunity of a lifetime! Hell, the Government's gonna own the thing soon enough, get in while the getting is good...
-Alfred Jones,

Strange Object sighted flying over New York
Nearly all of New York was baffled by the strange object that flew over the city late yesterday. What was it's intent? What was it looking for? Who-or what-was its pilot? P-51 Mustangs shadowed the craft for it's entire flight, in case it turned hostile, and AA defenses were dusted off and brought back into the streets. But the craft appeared to be merely flying about-it stopped over the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and George Washington Bridge for a total of ten minutes each, before flying back toward the Heavens from whence it came...the Army correspondant was qouted as saying they broadcasted messages to it in all known wavelengths and all known languages, but got no answer back.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:33:21 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 06:22:04 pm »

It's actually pretty good, better than my attempts.

Well, timeline seems a bit fiddled with though.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 06:31:28 pm »

Scrin: Alien race from CnC. Which essentially set everything in motion.

Also, I got the Scrin Alphabet sitting around here, in case you need Scrin writing. And we doing anything with the known Scrin units and the cults?

I've played command and conquer. I do not remember ever hearing of scrin. I assume its one of the shitty new CnC's?
Pages: [1] 2