Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: couple questions  (Read 670 times)

ProtDock

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Dave! yognaut.
    • View Profile
couple questions
« on: July 12, 2011, 07:25:45 pm »

whenever starting something new, you get to a point where you go all in and just learn soo many things, with this comes many questions, here are mine:

1) I found some adamantite, thinkin yes! finally, i dug further hopeing to find a gian vein, but surprise! a whole load of creatures cam out, does this happen everytime?

2) is it possible to get past semi-molten lava?

3) how can i get rid of the 45 haulers i have laying around waiting for my miners to do something, should i be making use of their 'useless' skills?

cheers for taking the time :)

ProtDock
Dun Test Tha Souff Wess

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: couple questions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:29:34 pm »

1: Yes, its normal.
2: Via route 1, through the addy.
3: 1+2 will take care of those 45 haulers along with the rest of the fort just fine.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

ProtDock

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Dave! yognaut.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:31:59 pm »

1: Yes, its normal.
2: Via route 1, through the addy.
3: 1+2 will take care of those 45 haulers along with the rest of the fort just fine.

haha brilliant! thanks!

ProtDock
Dun Test Tha Souff Wess

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:52:05 pm »

whenever starting something new, you get to a point where you go all in and just learn soo many things, with this comes many questions, here are mine:

1) I found some adamantite, thinkin yes! finally, i dug further hopeing to find a gian vein, but surprise! a whole load of creatures cam out, does this happen everytime?

http://youtu.be/_B0CyOAO8y0
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:20:22 pm »

Building underground paved roads is good to keep them busy. Miners dig it, haulers dump the stone, filling stone stockpiles for the  masons, and architects, while the surface is getting smoothed.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:47:35 pm »

Most people, once they've got the ~30 or so dwarves that they actually need to fill every profession, tend to either put all of the excess in the military or build megaprojects. You can employ huge numbers of dwarves by building twenty or so mason's shops and having them all pump out rock blocks full-time, which you can then use to build big structures above ground for whatever purpose you deem useful. For instance, try building an orbital magma bomb system, a tower with a pump stack inside it that goes up to the top z-level, where there is a network of floors and hatches/bridges that can open on command to drop a blast of magma anywhere on the map!
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:05:32 am »

I typically make them quantam dump stone everywhere. Once they finish that then they farm military and food haul.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:27:35 am »

Most people, once they've got the ~30 or so dwarves that they actually need to fill every profession, tend to either put all of the excess in the military or build megaprojects. You can employ huge numbers of dwarves by building twenty or so mason's shops and having them all pump out rock blocks full-time, which you can then use to build big structures above ground for whatever purpose you deem useful. For instance, try building an orbital magma bomb system, a tower with a pump stack inside it that goes up to the top z-level, where there is a network of floors and hatches/bridges that can open on command to drop a blast of magma anywhere on the map!

This is true. I use Dwarf Therapist and make everyone who isn't doing anything useful become masons. Fort needs walls? Masons to the rescue. Fort needs roof? Masons to the rescue. Fort needs bridge? Masons to the rescue. Et cetera et cetera.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04