Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: copper vs clowns  (Read 6395 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: copper vs clowns
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 12:15:45 pm »

How do you figure a third?  The current reactions only use 1 bar per piece, despite the fact they are not supposed to.
I thought that was only for trap components or something... Huh.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 12:19:12 pm »

I strongly advise you not to melt down goblin weapons and armour; you only get a third of the metal back and it's much, much better to have everybody armed with something, however poor-quality it might be. And shield material doesn't seem to have an affect when it comes to blocking or parrying, so you can save some metal and dwarf-hours by having your carpenters churn out wooden shields while your smiths concentrate on weapons and armour.
Sheilds more mainly count as armor whenever an attack get's through their respected body parts. Basically, think arm and hand armor.
If you lack gauntlets, it's best to makes higher level sheilds to protect their sheild hand. If you DO have gauntlets, then go ahead and make lower level.
Take note though, however, that if you lack metal for gauntlets, it'll be slightly better for your dwarves to have better shields. Also take note that a lot of clowns breath fire. Wood sets on fire. Dwarves ignore fire and burn up.

In every combat situation I can come up with, it seems that ignoring the fact your enemy can set you on fire has been superior to actively evading the fire. Just below getting yourself on fire deliberately just to set the one who got you on fire to begin with into flames on the combat usefulness scale. Just make sure to be carrying wooden bolts, or have an elf on hand.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 12:30:15 pm »

I strongly advise you not to melt down goblin weapons and armour; you only get a third of the metal back and it's much, much better to have everybody armed with something, however poor-quality it might be. And shield material doesn't seem to have an affect when it comes to blocking or parrying, so you can save some metal and dwarf-hours by having your carpenters churn out wooden shields while your smiths concentrate on weapons and armour.
Sheilds more mainly count as armor whenever an attack get's through their respected body parts. Basically, think arm and hand armor.
If you lack gauntlets, it's best to makes higher level sheilds to protect their sheild hand. If you DO have gauntlets, then go ahead and make lower level.
Take note though, however, that if you lack metal for gauntlets, it'll be slightly better for your dwarves to have better shields. Also take note that a lot of clowns breath fire. Wood sets on fire. Dwarves ignore fire and burn up.

In every combat situation I can come up with, it seems that ignoring the fact your enemy can set you on fire has been superior to actively evading the fire. Just below getting yourself on fire deliberately just to set the one who got you on fire to begin with into flames on the combat usefulness scale. Just make sure to be carrying wooden bolts, or have an elf on hand.
Another problem being is that pretty much all clowns are fireproof. >_>

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 02:19:41 pm »

Another problem being is that pretty much all clowns are fireproof. >_>

That's not a problem, really. The problem is, will they burn longer than a lignite bin when on fire? Because everything can be set on fire, you just need enough fire. Or magma, as you will.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 02:54:48 pm »

Lagslayer, you do get some silver from smelting tetrahedrite. Copper bolts and silver maces/warhammers
The only problem is that the HFS is also immune to pain. I got tons of good blunt weapons, but limited materials for good edge weapons. I was wondering if copper axes and spears would be effective against them, because at least then limbs could be severed and they could bleed out.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 03:09:17 pm »

Copper spears can pierce iron armor, if I remember correctly, so go ahead with the spears. Axes, maybe. Clowns are awfully huge to sever their limbs.

Also, wooden shields block dragonfire with almost no problem.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 03:12:48 pm »

But they catch on fire :(.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 03:24:56 pm »

They don't if they block the fire.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 04:20:03 pm »

Copper spears it is then, I guess.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 05:55:20 pm »

That's not a problem, really. The problem is, will they burn longer than a lignite bin when on fire? Because everything can be set on fire, you just need enough fire. Or magma, as you will.
[FIREIMMUNE] and [FIREIMMUNESUPER]. Emphasis on IMMUNE. They can easily just swim right through magma as if it's air, really.
Another problem being the vapor and dust clowns which will cover your shields in the burning, regardless of whether you block it or not.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »

[FIREIMMUNE] and [FIREIMMUNESUPER]. Emphasis on IMMUNE. They can easily just swim right through magma as if it's air, really.
Another problem being the vapor and dust clowns which will cover your shields in the burning, regardless of whether you block it or not.

Oh, they're not fireproof, they're immune to fire. Well damn, I'm off to find me a lignite clown. For SCIENCE!

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 06:25:41 pm »

The fact that there needs to be a FIREIMMUNESUPER probably means there's a way to burn them :).

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 07:21:08 pm »

Dwarven Machine Gun. That's the way to go.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 08:59:38 pm »

That...is ALMOST as much a violation of common sense as unmeltable ice walls are.

The fact that there needs to be a FIREIMMUNESUPER probably means there's a way to burn them :).
Yup, there is. Got a spare dragon handy?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 09:14:50 pm »

Yup, there is. Got a spare dragon handy?
Super meas that it's immune to dragonfire. It won't get damaged or ignited by the stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3